Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

61 days, WOW, do I have a story for you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well hello every one. It?s been a long time since I was here. I?d like to share something with you all.
    It?s been 1-1/2 years since I first heard of MWO. At the time I was trying to save a dyeing relationship, and drinking my way through it the whole way.
    As time went on it became clear that my ?lady? wanted to be some one else?s ?lady?. So this last February I got the courage to leave the only relationship that ever meant anything to me. The anguish of leaving the lady that I was still in love with was too much. So I spent the next 3 months, or so, drowning my sorrows? (This is not about relationships; this is about 61 days of sobriety. Bare with me, I?m getting to that)?
    The more I cried, the more I drank, and the more I drank, the more I cried. I was convinced I would die a drunk. There was no way I could ever see myself not drinking. I was just waiting to die. My skin was gray, I was getting real fat. I cried from morning till night, even in my sleep, hung over or drunk, or in between, I was ?the crying man.?
    I even thought ?why wait to drink myself to death? Why don?t I just end it now? And, ya know, as ?out there? as that sounds, it was actually an option that I was considering.
    Now then, I am not a religious man at all. I have gone ?spiritual? but organized religion? No thanks. So I told ?The Creator?, (or source, or all that is, or God) that I just can?t do this any more, that this has to stop.
    So one morning, hung over as hell, that ?instant? came to me. God (creator, source?) spoke to my mind and said ?you have a choice, you can die a drunk, or you can live a life.? At that moment I knew I was done drinking. Wait ? let me say this: I don?t know if I?ll ever have a drink again. But I knew that what I was doing, drinking myself to death, had just stopped. God, I felt good, hung over as hell, but I felt good. And that was 61 (count them, sixty-one) days ago.
    So, I want to say now, that I don?t fight the urge to drink, it?s not a constant battle. That one instant was all it took.
    I?ve heard it said that life can change in an instant. It might take 20 or 50 years for some to get that instant, but that one speck of time can, and did, change everything. No A-A, no supplements, no programs, just ?clarity? saved my 50 y/o Italian butt.
    So not only did I stop poisoning myself, I sleep again (I haven?t slept in years) I lost a ton of weight, I found the energy to join AND USE a gym, I have the body that I?ve wanted all my life (and at 50 years old it?s about time). I saved a gazillian dollars on wine. And I know I?ll find the ?right? lady real soon and live life as it was meant to be.
    Hey, I didn?t mean for that to turn into a singles ad, but the universe works the way it does. ?single, good looking, optimistic, spiritual guy in Sacramento, 50 years young? I just had to do that?
    So, the point of all of this: you CAN make a choice. And that?s all it is, a CHOICE. I am proof of that. I fully expected to die a drunk, but then I chose not to.
    With all due respect to AA, I feel it?s not ?One day at a time? for me it?s ?One life at a time.?
    Do you want to die a drunk, or do you want to live a life?
    I invite you to send me a private message for any comments, questions, just to chat, keep each other company, or tell me that I can?t write for shit, whatever, I?m here for you?
    This really is the New Joe?
    Love and Light to you all?

Wow! What strength and courage! Way to go Joe!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Yay Joe!! That is brilliant to hear!
      Well done, all credit to you! And yes, your new life awaits...
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

well done joe delighted you have seen the light :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Wow, Joe! Way to go! Very inspiring.
          "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Talk about inspiration! Awesome - VERY happy for you - thank you so much for sharing :l
            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Wow! Truly inspirational Joe! And it is obvious the best is yet to come. Keep up posted on your exciting and sober future! :goodjob:

Comment

Way to go, Joe! Thanks so much for sharing that. And best wishes for a wonderful lady to stroll into your life .. she's out there and when the time is right she will appear. In the meantime, enjoy your new self!

Well done!
                AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

I'm glad you found your way out Joe!
                  Well done
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

You are the real man, hopefully i will do likewise. Keep it up Joe

Comment

Joe,
                      You are an inspiration!
                      Congratulations!

Comment

Wow. Thank you for posting that inspiring experience. It sounds like you had reached your bottom and the power spoke to you.
                        Glad you found the light. You are an inspiration to us all.
                        :goodjob:
                        MNB
                        When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                        -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Joe, wow..help me to understand what happened to you. I would really use a miracle like that.

Comment

New Joe,

Congratulations on the new you! You sound fantastic.

I had to respond to your post because it is EXACTLY like the revelation I had on May 16 of this year. After years of drinking myself into oblivion every night (2+ bottles wine), and many failed attempts to quit, my choice suddenly became clear that I HAD to quit. Not only did I HAVE to, I WANTED to, and I was READY to. I had experienced all the highs and lows that alcohol was ever going to give me, and I was ready to start experiencing the true highs and lows of life. Just like you, I knew then that I was "done drinking". Hence my screen name on here :-)

What is still somewhat confusing to me (73 days later) is how easy it has been. It's almost like the "gotta have alcohol" switch inside me was turned off. Whatever the physiology/psychology behind it all, I am so very thankful that I am finally free from this poison and enjoying life again. Like you, I am finding new interests, rekindling old ones, and exploring all the simple beauty life has to offer.

Stay strong,
                            -- (New) Steve

Comment

Joe and Steve, what a wonderful event in your lives! Leaving the room and shutting the door behind you. Best to you both in your real life!
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X