Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First day

Hello... :new:

I just found this site last night about 2am when I woke up with night sweats and decided it's time to take action with my drinking habit. I have several glass of wine throughout the day starting about noon and ending about 9pm. I've done this for several years now. I'd love to get my drinking under control and be able to have a glass or two a day but once I start I just can't seem to stop. So, I've here from some advice. First off, I'd like to know if it's best to go cold-turkey or should I try and just cut back on a gradual basis. Within the past week, I have cut back but not as much as I would have like to. I think after reading some posts here, today may be the day and I'm looking for support to get me thru my first real day. Thanks for listening and hope to hear back from some of you soon. :thanks:

First day

Hi winokitty,
    Welcome to the forums. Going cold-turkey can have different effects on different people. In some cases, it could be life-threatening due to the severity of the withdrawals. You have to factor in how much you drink and how long you have drank, as well as the fact that each individual has different physical characteristics such as metabolism and so on. In the past, I've tapered off day by day by starting later in the day and then drinking less. Then, when I've gotten to the point to where I think the withdrawal won't be so bad, I cut off completely. You might also consider going to your family physician and "owning up" to the fact that you are an alcoholic and they can prescribe medicine for the withdrawal symptoms and craving.

You stumbled across a really good, supportive site filled with wonderful people ready to help. Keep in touch and feel free to ask for advice ANY TIME.

Here's to you and your new life!
    I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

First day

HI and :welcome:
      I'm no expert but a few glasses of wine from noon to 9:00 p.m. doesn't sound like that would warrant seeing a doctor for going cold turkey.
      I used to drink a bottle of wine in and evening..between 5pm and 10pm and I did not have bad withdrawals. They only lasted about 3 days...achey, headache, trouble sleeping, anxiousness, etc. My advice to you and it has helped me a lot is to drink tons of cool water with a wedge of lemon in each glass you drink. I try to drink about 48oz a day.
      If you come to this site often, you will find a lot of help and support.
      It's not easy, that's for sure but waking up in the morning clear headed is so wonderful! I don't ever want to go back to where I was. I know that for me, I cannot moderate. I just have to stay away from alcohol completely.
      I wish you all the best. Stay strong.
      When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
      -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

First day

Hi

Welcome - you're not alone - these people can help. We are all in the same boat - look at today's ODAT for some inspiration and a brilliant explanation from Cinders.

Px
        Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

First day

Hello and Welcome
          You have found a Great place for advice and support. I can only tell u what was recommended to me by others on the site. It was suggested that I start by reading the MWO book and staying close by the boards, reading and posting. There are also many supplements that can help with withdrawal. I use Calms Forte for anxiety, sleep problems. I also use L-Glutamine and Kudzu. You will find lots of info as u explore the site. Best Wishes.:l
          "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

First day

Hi winokitty,

Welcome! This is a great place, it has helped me reach my goal and will help you too!
            Please download and read the MWO book, it's full of useful information to help you make your plan.

I had a bottle of wine/day habit myself. I had no extreme withdrawal problems, you probably won't either. The night sweats you are experiencing now will disappear pretty quickly when you stop drinking.
            It is recommended to go AF (alcohol free) for 30 days before attempting to resume drinking moderately. That was my original plan but when I hit my 30 day mark I decided to stay AF. I knew I couldn't moderate so why try? I have found it's much easier just to stay away from it all together. I'm happy & feel good, that's the way I want to stay!

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread here in the Just Getting Started section. You'll find lots of company & support there

Wishing you the best!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

First day

winokitty;692813 wrote: Hello... :new:

I just found this site last night about 2am when I woke up with night sweats and decided it's time to take action with my drinking habit. I have several glass of wine throughout the day starting about noon and ending about 9pm. I've done this for several years now. I'd love to get my drinking under control and be able to have a glass or two a day but once I start I just can't seem to stop. So, I've here from some advice. First off, I'd like to know if it's best to go cold-turkey or should I try and just cut back on a gradual basis. Within the past week, I have cut back but not as much as I would have like to. I think after reading some posts here, today may be the day and I'm looking for support to get me thru my first real day. Thanks for listening and hope to hear back from some of you soon. :thanks:
              Hi winokitty,

I like your handle! That was me too - the cheep box stuff. My typical pattern was come to about 4 AM then have one to get a little more sleep before having to go to work. On weekends, I would resolve to have only one ?eye opener? and then by about 3 PM I am toasted? again. Moderation was not an option for me. You may be different. I saw one doctor and ?confessed? (what a stupid term ? it?s like saying I ?confess? to having high blood pressure or I ?confess? to having cancer)? I digress? anyway, my GP was of no help as he basically dumped it back into my lap ? that rejection cost me two more years. I finally went to a psychiatrist (they are the ones who do addiction for a living) and got the right treatment. I am now on day 7 AF and feeling good. I am, for once, proud of myself.
              Anyhoo ? you?ve taken the first step. If you don?t want/need a medical detox, check out the herbal recommendations on this site as I have found them very helpful. My body is already damaged irreparably by AL. I hope/pray that you can get a handle on it before that happens.

E-

Comment

First day

:welcome: you are in a good place here with lots of strong help.

Comment

First day

Hi all... thanks for the replies and advice so far! Very much appreciated. It's 1pm now and I've usually had at least one glass of wine (sometimes 2) by now but so far... NONE! I do want a drink but it's not a real craving... probably more like a habit. If it's noon it must be cocktail time Drinking lots of water and think I'm doing okay so far. I've been reading many of the threads and they really help to. Nice to know how others have dealt with their drinking. All for now... and thanks again!

Comment

First day

Today I found this website and want (need) to get started. Like you winokitty, I can't seem to stop at a couple of glasses of wine. Every morning I get up and say I will not have a drink - but when I get home from work my resolve has disolved.

I'm going to order the package to begin this process but I hate taking medication and will try this first. If not - I will have to go see my doctor for some assistance.

Good luck to you - and start praying for me - I'm on my way home from work.:new:

Comment

First day

Hi kazuti,

Welcome to you as well! You have found a good place, lots of support readily available here.
                      Please be sure to read the MWO book (you can download it). It is full of useful information to help you make your plan.
                      You don't always have to take meds, I didn't take any!
                      Keep reading & posting, you will learn a lot. And please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread.

Wishing you the best,
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

First day

kazuti;693303 wrote: Today I found this website and want (need) to get started. Like you winokitty, I can't seem to stop at a couple of glasses of wine. Every morning I get up and say I will not have a drink - but when I get home from work my resolve has disolved.

I'm going to order the package to begin this process but I hate taking medication and will try this first. If not - I will have to go see my doctor for some assistance.

Good luck to you - and start praying for me - I'm on my way home from work.:new:
                        Hello kazuti, I will certainly pray for you. I spent most of the early morning hours and several hours today reading several of the posts. They gave me great hope and much to my surprise, I actually did pretty good today. I drank lots of water and some liption diet green tea. Although I really wanted a few glasses of wine like I used to have, I was able to hold out until 4:30. I poured a 1/2 glass of white wine and added 4 ice cubes to slowly dilute it. I really wanted more but kept myself busy with other things to distract me from my craving. Now comes the tough time for me. After dinner I like to settle down with a few glasses of Merlot. So far I have not had any... again keeping myself busy. I know once I have one Merlot I wll have more... so I'm waiting a bit longer and plan to have just one (or maybe only a 1/2) glass before I retiire for the night. And it's hard! I'm hoping it helps me sleep after my lousy night last night. If I can end my day knowing I only had one or two glasses (rather than my usual 6 or 8 and sometimes more) I will be happy. Even as I'm typing this all I can think about is that I WANT that glass of Merlot but haven't yet.

I wish you well in your journey tonight. I will be thinking of you and praying that you too will be able to make it through the evening with a glass or 2 (or more) LESS than what you used to drink. Every little bit is a step in the right direction. Good luck! And I look forward to your next post. :cat:

Comment

First day

I have spent alot of time reading the posts on this site and it is comforting to know that I am not alone. The way I feel and the shame and guilt I carry with my drinking made me feel separated from "normal" drinkers. I will only drink at home and not at social occasions because I drink too much and can't remember anything. Therefore I have given up most social outings so I can stay home and drink.

Tonight I will begin. So far no wine. I will face tomorrow - tomorrow.

Winokitty - I love wine but it does not love me back!

Comment

First day

:welcome:Katzu!
                            This place is wonderful for support and understanding. Stick around and read and post. Ask any questions you have about AL and we'll help you.
                            Glad you found us.

Comment

First day

Sorry, my fingers got away from me Kazuti! Welcome aboard!

Comment

Working...
                              X