Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 6 AF, positive info for newcomers

HI,
    I have, with your support, and reading other's problems, stopped drinking for the 1st time in 3 years, and the second time in 20yrs. Last time I lasted a month, then thought I was in control, had a drink, then another and ... taken me 3 yrs again.

I was scared by a lot of people about withdrawal so I thought I would post this.
    In the end I decided even if withdrawal can be dangerous, it's better than killing myself with alcohol.

Apart from a few stomach cramps, twinges, and dizzy head most afternoons I have been fine (oh - and wanting a drink of course).
    I did more shaking and sweating when I was drinkink.
    The only problem I have is sleeping.

Reading posts your doctors in the US seem to prescribe drugs and understand the problem better than in the uk, anyone I have spoken to medically just tells me to get on with it, and wonders why I can't stop drinking.

I have told friends and family at a bbq last weekend that I was giving up, and they seem in disbelief, and tried to tempt me, only when they saw I was serious they left me alone and didn't offer me any more.

The only thing I know now is that I can never have that first drink again, or it will be another 3, 5, 10 yrs before I have the strength to stop it.

If you are reading this you are probably like me, never take a drink thinking you'll only have 1 or 2, it just won't happen - you'll be hooked again.

Good luck to you all.

Welcome Adi,

You can do it!! Just keep telling yourself I can handel this. Whatever the problem is Al never helps it. Good luck keep posting and reading. This site is what helped me to give up after 13 years of wine every day. I feel much better. and better about myself.

Sparrow:welcome:

Comment

adi :welcome: and congrats of 6 days af.

This is a great place with lots of information and supportive people. Keep coming back and posting and reading. There is a toolbox thread at the top of the monthly abstinence section with lots of good advice on how to deal with cravings. It also has different ideas on how to make a plan to live sober.

Drinking messes up our sleep patterns. You will start sleeping better, so just give it a little time.

You can do this. Good Luck!
      AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Hi adi,

Well done. I've had problems sleeping in that I keep waking up in the night, one thing I found that helped which you have probably already thought of, was sleeping with the windows open, when I was drinking I never thought to open them of course :H

This last night I had trouble sleeping again and realised I had forgotten to open the windows!
        I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Congratulations Adi, good for you
          Keep going, it gets better & better.
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Adi,

This is my story too. I would really like to be able to drink. I enjoyed AL when I took the first drink or two. It is the seventh or eighth drink that I didn't like. And once I started with number one, there was no stopping until I passed out. I know that I simply can not touch the stuff. Once I start, I will not quit. Doc's here in the US can have the same attitude as my GP did three years ago (the last time I reached out for help). No w I am going on 12 days AF. I will pray for you. Please do the same for me.

E-

Comment

That's great! Well done. I find that i feel really good when i say, no i don't drink and there is always someone in the party who says they'd like to stop as well.
              I too am like you, never have the one drink, i just can't stop at one.
              Keep it up! You're oing great!

Comment

Working...
              X