Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made it thru a friday night w/o drinking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think last night was the first friday night I didnt drink a 12-pack in quite a while.............................it felt great! I received the book "the easy way to stop drinking" in the mail today, plan on reading it tonight in place of my usual beer drinking.

Tomorrow may be tougher, as I am going to see an old friend I havent seen in 20 years....................I have no idea if she even still drinks, she didnt mention it and I didnt either. She only mentioned there would be lots of good food. Thing is, I am going to have some anxiety about going over there because I will be seeing her whole family who i have not seen in 20 years and usually in those "gathering" situations I always drink before/during. My plan is to just go on over without drinking and hope I can deal with the anxiety sober....
    There will be alot of people there I do not know and I tend to feel uneasy in those situations and I know i am going to get the craves............any thoughts?

Congratulations!

Skittles,
    Great job on getting through Friday night! I can't offer many words of advice on your upcoming evening--I just made it through my 2nd AF day in 5 years, so I'm a complete beginner. But I know lots of folks here will have suggestions for you. Here's a link someone here gave me the other day on ways to deal with carving/temptation, and it helps. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html. I hope the link works!

Comment

congrats skittles,

I love the easy way book it really was the easy way for me. I hope it works for you too. you can do this. I'm on day 72 AF. Just have fun and dont drink you don't need it.

Sparrow

Comment

Hey Skittles - that's awesome! I just did my first full day without drinking and i actually slept properly last night.

Am I ever with you about what to do with get togethers. I'm trying to think of ways i can get around being offered a drink and refusing it for something non-alcoholic because have you noticed that people can be a bit weird when you say you're not drinking, especially when they know how much you used to sink beforehand? Is it bad if you say that you're on medication and that you can't drink?? I feel a bit guilty that I'm not being completely honest but then I hope I'm just sparing their feelings. Later on, after the medication excuse has done its time, I'll have to come up with something else - detox maybe??

I had a similar sort of reunion a few years ago and unfortunately the scotch came out later on and I remember being fairly off my head and my mother having to drive us both home. I cringe when i think about what they thought of me, and wished I'd just stayed off it and stuck to something non-alcoholic like lime and soda.

I guess it will be down to your willpower if you can refuse a drink. You should treat tomorrow as a test - and if temptation comes your way just ask yourself if its worth it. You get through this night without a drink and I promise you, the next day you'll feel quite justifiably proud of yourself and that is a pretty amazing feeling to have. And you know what? I don't think a lot of us realise that we are actually better company sober than we are drunk.

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.
        I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Congrats

Congratulations :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:I am only 1 day AF in 6 ? years I am like a new baby learning to walk all over again. This is a totally new way for me. Hey look at all the money we have saved I saved 25-30 dollars in the last day. All I know this site is a true blessing with a lot of great post. Again good luck you can do it.

4LM

Comment

4lovingme - good on ya! I thought I might put the money i don't spend on booze in a separate bank account and see what happens. I've heard smokers do that with their cigarette money when they quit smoking and they end up with a very pleasant surprise. I have an account i can't get to to withdraw money - I can only put it in and can't get anything out of it for another two years - so I might use that.
            I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Skittles - getting through that first AF Friday night is HUGE! Well done. As for the social event, I can guarantee the thought of doing it AF is worse than actually doing it AF, and the sense of achievement beats the buzz of AL. Even though AL consumption is at the forefront of YOUR mind, I think you'll find for most people at the reunion its not, so they may not even question the fact that you're not drinking. You could also go armed with excuses or explanations as to why you're not drinking - Health issues, medication interactions, you gave up a while a go etc. There is a thread somewhere with a huge list on it, if you want to I'll find it for you. Honestly, go for it, its a fantastic feeling!

Bets.
              xxx
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Well done!
                When you go, stand up tall and be like 'no i don't drink'. You'll gain soooo much respect and i bet people will say to you.... i wish i didn't or yeah i need to cut back.
                I stayed sober for my brother wedding and it was sooo hard but i was the one who looked and felt great all the way through, i didn;t make a fool of myself and i had a wonderful time. Stand tall and enjoy!

Comment

Thank you all! I cant believe it, I made it through saturday night without drinking as well! woo hoo! I am not drinking tonight at the gathering...............I dont want to! I want to experience something social for the first time sober! It will be an adventure and i am looking forward to it.

Comment

Skittles, you are doing so well! Every time we move through an event or an emotion where we would usually drink we plant the seeds of a new habit. Yours are growing. I look forward following you as you find your way out.
                    may we be well

Comment

Skittles,
                      Well done.
                      Monday mornings are soooooo different without alcohol.

I'm doing the ' I'm not drinking at the moment because of my cholesterol (true). After a while I shall hold my head and say ' I don't drink any more'.

Love J xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

That's great - I am on day 9 af - survived 2 get togethers with friends this weekend af.
                        next weekend is a gig - am gonna go with the 'I've just stopped smoking and I don't want to lapse excuse'. I plan to use that excuse for a good few months and then just say i feel better without at over 3 months. Still one day at a time - it annoys me that it's a stigma to say I'm worried I drink too much, it makes my depression worse.
                        still that's how it is and I'll say whatever I need to to get through the situation.
                        good luck x
                        one day at a time

Comment

Having a hard time!

Hi everyone!

I am having a very hard time with the hypnotherapy cd's that I ordered off of this website. They cost me a lot of money and I find them very boring and cannot concentrate on them easily. I still am drinking while on the medication and feel like I am failing at my efforts in this. Help!!!

Comment

:welcome:
                            Hi Rubies,
                            Welcome to you.

I don't have the CD's but I know you're in a good safe place. Lots of good kind people with good advice.

Have a good look round the site. Keep reading and SHOUT if you need help.

Have a start in the Newbies Nest.

Wishing you lots of luck on your journey.

Jackie xxx

AF (alcohol free) since 7/7/2009
                            It could be worse, I could be filing.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

RUBIES1310;701282 wrote: Hi everyone!

I am having a very hard time with the hypnotherapy cd's that I ordered off of this website. They cost me a lot of money and I find them very boring and cannot concentrate on them easily. I still am drinking while on the medication and feel like I am failing at my efforts in this. Help!!!
                              whenever we start this mission to remove alcohol in our lives;
                              it takes many approaches before we get it.
                              you may not enjoy the CD's now, down the road they may come in handy.
                              its typical to get frustrated learning how to STOP DRINKING.
                              hang in there and keep trying.
                              An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Working...
                              X