I actually did it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually did it!

I just got home from the party I wrote about earlier. The hostess said "Im making some lemonade if you want some or we've also got beer". Then I heard someone say "I will take some lemonade" and that someone was me! So I sat outside by the pool (the weather was great) and talked with people I did not know while I sipped lemonade and watch a few others drink their beer...............and you know what? It wasnt that hard! I did not feel uncomfortable at all. I did eat too much and smoke a lot but just the fact that I was in that situation and chose not to drink is a HUGE step for me. In fact I cannot think of a social situation of that type where I turned down alcohol. I don't know what to make of it, I really surprised myself, but I am so happy, and I know that when I have to wake up in the morning at 7am for work, I will REALLY be happy about it. What is happening here???? Im puzzled! (but ecstatic!)

I actually did it!

Way to go Skittles. I know it feels great to come through those situations. It's also great that you enjoyed yourself and won't be dealing with a hangover tomorrow. Before going af a while, I'd never even thought about the fact that a lot of people go to parties and don't drink.

Have a great day tomorrow!
    tw
    Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

I actually did it!

Well done to you Skittles, you sound really happy and so you should be
      Good Job, keep it up
      All the best
      Ronnie
      :dancin: enguin:
      starting over

Comment

I actually did it!

One step at a time. Good job!

Comment

I actually did it!

I am just now back (as of yesterday) and still struggling to become AF again, as I did a few years ago. Your post here reminds me of all the good feelings that really do come out when we make this conscious decision...way to go!!! Please keep posting your progress so we can all remain inspired!

Comment

I actually did it!

Good for you Skittles!! Sounds like you put your long term goals before your short term 'gratification'!
            It is quite a difficult thing to be in a social situation and be AF if we are not used to it.
            You did well! Plus, you will know that you have 'done it before', if you are in a similar situation soon.
            Good for you.
            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I actually did it!

Skittles, that's excellent to hear!

Bets
              xx
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I actually did it!

:goodjob:
                Great news Skittles.
                Have a great day.

Love J x

AF since 7/7/2009
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I actually did it!

Well done Skittles.
                  You are taking back control of your life:-)
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I actually did it!

Yay Skittles!
                    I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

I actually did it!

Good work Skittles! You've discovered the hidden secret about socializing, namely, that you can still have a great time without alcohol. Once I truly understood this, I found that my own alcohol abstinence became easier and easier. Enjoy getting up at 7am feeling refreshed and clear-headed!

Comment

I actually did it!

Actually Skittles, I did it too. I have managed to go four days and two visits to the supermarket without buying any booze. That's unheard of for me. Over this weekend I wondered how you'd go at the party and i thought if you can get through the party without a drink, then i could go get groceries without buying any wine. Yay for us! I did have a drink yesterday though but it was so far from my normal behaviour i thought i might be finally growing up (which isn't bad at 43!). I called in at my friends place at the end of the day and we each had a small beer and for a change i was - by a long shot - still sitting on my drink long after they'd finished. Then we had wine with dinner, and unlike normal, i didn't help myself to a second helping and swig it back in two seconds.

I also took the last bottle i had finished drinking on my own and i stuck it on a shelf with a sticker on it saying "The Last One" - it's the last one i plan on buying and drinking on my own. I'm trying to give myself a realistic goal for the next 30 days. I'm so pleased with myself so far I'm going to take me off to the movies tomorrow night and using the money i would've normally spent on the wine!
                        I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

I actually did it!

Brilliant skiitles, what a great feeling :goodjob:
                          I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

I actually did it!

Skittles. Well done! Isn't it a great feeling?Went o a concert last week,lots of al available but I drank water. It was so good to wake al free and no hangover to deal with.:goodjob:

Comment

I actually did it!

Hi Skittles,

You know, when I took a year to abstain from any alcohol, it was hard at first just to know what to tell my friends that I was not drinking any alcohol. That year is long since gone, and as I consider all that is involved with drinking, I must admit, I'd really like to be the "sober one" at our gatherings. I've found that more people (don't ) drink alcohol than I used to think. I hope to dig out of this hole, myself.

Congrats on doing so well. Keep up the good work.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X