Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's come time

Hello everyone out there,

Today I woke up and realized after a few days of reading some general information and reading the threads here that I have signs of alcoholism. I noticed my hand starting to shake about 2 weeks ago, and that my appetite was low and anytime I started to eat I felt like I want to throw up.

Becuase of my profression, it's hard to attend any meetings. I would like the support of this site to help me find my way back to sobreity.

I started drinking when I was 18 ( am now 31). I seriously sat down this morning, I couldn't remember a day in the past few years that I didn't drink.

I thank you and I hope anyone can help me.

irishman78

It's come time

Hello & welcome Irish...and congrats on taking the first step, it's a biggie and can be very scary.
    It's really, really hard to stop drinking to excess using willpower alone...many have tried and failed (myself included) This programme also involves supplements, exercise, diet, hypnotherapy and medication - you can tackle the disease using any or all of these tools. I find exercise, diet, supplements & hypnotherapy very helpful...and of course the community here.
    If you want to find out how all those things work you can download the book 'My WayOut' - it's not too expensive and it's a good start.

Good luck
    xo

Comment

It's come time

I will order the book soon. As I was writing this post, I felt very embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I have been always known as the guy who can withstand anything and the guy who prided himself on self discipline. I was ashamed that I could have self discipline about alcohol.

Is there a time period for when the withdrawal symptoms will go away ( i.e. shakey hands, wanting to throw up, etc)?

Thank you Angel Cakes,

irishman78

Comment

It's come time

I'm not sure Irish, I just suffer mild anxiety for about 2 days after a big binge (used to anyway) I think about the first 3 days aretough and then it improves. Drink lots of water, try herbal teas, try to eat well - look after yourself.
        There's nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about - I remember a friend of mine started going to AA meetings and was very open about it, some other people looked down on her because she was going to AA. I said 'Hang on, the only difference between you and her is that she's DOING something about how much she drinks.' It takes a lot of stamina to be an alkie/problem drinker and a hell of a lotta guts to face up to the problem. You should be proud of the steps you're taking to improve yourself.
        xo

Comment

It's come time

Hi Irish
          Lots of problem drinkers are control freaks or highly functioning/high achieving people! Go figure! The good news is that hopefully you can harness that single mindedness to get control of AL. Alcohol has a progressively worse effect on us without us realising it so that you gradually become less able to handle what you could before and the consequences gradually become worse and before you know it you have a problem. It is hard in the beginning breaking the physical and mental habits but once you see the benefits of not drinking starting to show you will wonder why you ever bother to drink. Good luck and keep posting.
          M

Comment

It's come time

Hello irishman,

Welcome, you've found a good place!
            Withdrawal symptoms are different for everyone. Some say they felt as if they had the flu for a few days. I didn't feel bad, just plenty scared!
            Keep yourself well hydrated as already mentioned, get some good food, a little exercise. You'll start feeling better in just a few days.
            Please feel free to join us on the Newbies Nest thread, lots of folks there just getting started too.

Wishing you the best,
            Lavande
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

It's come time

:welcome:irishman78 you have come to a great place with lots of help & support,keep on posting and let us know how your getting on:goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

It's come time

Welcome Irishman! As others have posted, withdrawal symptoms vary from person to person. I only had a couple of days of lots of sweating and insomnia.

I am a perfectionist, and it was hard for me to admit to myself that AL had taken control over my mind. I am at the very early stages of my AF journey, and while I have had a couple of slips, I have been AF more so than not and I am finding that I actually enjoy being AF free more than drinking my wine. Stress still is my biggest trigger and I am working on that.

This BB has been a life saver for me. Lots of good advice and support from others who can relate to what you are going through. Good luck!
                ODAT!

Comment

It's come time

Welcome Irish!

We all know about the guilt, shame, embarrassment... but there is no need or room for that here, or anywhere, for that matter. As difficult as it seems, the past is BEHIND you.. yes, even just last night. You cannot change it. But you can make a change today. Right now. You have taken the first step to turning things around... bravo!

As everyone else here has said.. you've stumbled upon a wonderful, strong, wise, and caring community here... let us know how we can help you succeed.
                  Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

It's come time

Hi Irishman78

Welome and congrads on taking this step
                    -symptoms vary on so many factors-just like the reasons for using AL-
                    -there is so much support here, yours for the askiing and taking
                    -remember you are not alone... many have been down this path
                    -best of luck :welcome:
                    Do not go where the path may lead: go instead where there is no path and leave a trail-Emerson

Comment

It's come time

Irish - If your hands are starting to shake the following day at the age of 31 you are on a slippery road right now. It will take about 3 days for withdrawl symptoms to go away. You will then be eating everything in the fridge. Eat dinner earlier than usually, I found a full stomach made me less likely to feel like a drink. Keeps lots of chocolate ice cream and junk food around to snack on at night. Just my friendly advice.

GP

Comment

It's come time

boozehag;702452 wrote: Hi Irish
                        Lots of problem drinkers are control freaks or highly functioning/high achieving people! Go figure! The good news is that hopefully you can harness that single mindedness to get control of AL. Alcohol has a progressively worse effect on us without us realising it so that you gradually become less able to handle what you could before and the consequences gradually become worse and before you know it you have a problem. It is hard in the beginning breaking the physical and mental habits but once you see the benefits of not drinking starting to show you will wonder why you ever bother to drink. Good luck and keep posting.
                        M
                        WOW,

Great post boozie. I'm gonna print that one, and add it to my fridge!
                        Wishing you well Irish. Not an easy one is it.
                        Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself!!!

Comment

It's come time

Hi Irish,

Congratulations of waking up to this problem while you are still young enough to make the most of life. First off, there is no shame or embarrassment in being ill (although we all know the shame and embarrassment you feel). I, too, was a very functional alcoholic (well, until a month ago when the wheels started to fall off my wagon). I am a much respected professional and I doubt anyone knows what I struggled with other than my immediate family. Bottom line: alcoholism is not a respecter of persons. AL picks on whoever he wishes.

Another truism is a quote I read concerning recovery from alcoholism: “It’s going to take more help than you think.” This was very true for me. I’ve had a number of aborted attempts to quit and this time I got professional help. I am now three weeks alcohol free (AF) after at least 20 years of steady drinking (and ten years of hard drinking).

So the bottom line is this: Congratulations!!! Get all the help you can get. Read and post here often. Get the herbs recommended here as they really do help.

E-

Comment

It's come time

Its been a while since I posted on here. I was doing good for about 3 days and I was feeling better. Then I thought to myself (probably like many others) "What's one drink going to hurt?" I did have 1 drink. But as the days went by 1 drink becomes 2, etc etc. Now I am back where I started. I am starting over. Today is day 1 of my new life of sobreity.

Thanks to all who responded to me and for sharing your stories

Comment

It's come time

Hello Irish I missed your first posts so a big welcome to you. Did you get the book and read it? If not I would say that is a good starting point. You have done 3 days AF recently so I suggest you start with that as your inital goal and take it ODAT. This is a cunning and confusing addicition that we have but it can be beaten. Keep posting and ask for any support or advice as and when you need them. There is always somebody here who will help, we have all been there.
                              Keep safe
                              KTAB
                              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                              X