Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem

I am still feeling great sober.........I have really become driven and excited about my new journey, the problem is, I seem to be chain smoking uncontrollably...........I want to quit smoking but I am afraid left without any vices at all, I might go insane. At the same time I feel It is something I must do because I can feel tightness in my chest, I wheeze, and sometimes have mild chest pains....................why do I want to abuse myself this way? I dont know how to go about this but I have GOT to quit smoking..........ughhhhhhhh.:upset:

Problem

Tightness in the chest and chest pains are nothing to fool around with. Go get them checked out immediately, before you don't have to worry about giving anything up!

Winefree

Comment

Problem

I understand the feeling. I had to ask myself why I needed some vice to keep feeling okay. Smoking is a powerful addiction, but there are also psychological reasons too. One of your beliefs is that you will "go insane" without smoking. Are you really so sure about that? Or will start having feeling that you don't know how to deal with without smoking.

Maybe there are other things in your life you need to deal with in order to give yourself the best environment to take care of yourself. There are many good smoking cessation products out there. You can try those. The American Lung Association also has a program and a support line. There are online groups like MWO, as well. There is a program called SmokeEnders that you can google.

Like drinking you have to get together a plan and a toolbox. It may seem overwhelming, but it's one step at a time and one day at a time, just like with drinking. I wish you well in your efforts. Your symptoms sound scary.
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Problem

Skittles,

I did the same darn thing!
        I quit drinking in March and my smoking increased dramaticaly. I wasn't pleased so I joined QuitNet and quit smoking in May.
        It was hard, very hard but I did it

www.quitnet.org

Do yourself a huge favor and look at the website - it's very friendly & helpful, just like this one.

Wishing you the best!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Problem

Hi skittles,

I hear you I don't smoke but I cant stop eating sugar. I figure one thing a t a time.
          Good luck!

Sparrow

Comment

Problem

When I quit smoking Http://www.quitnet.com really helped me quit smoking.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Problem

Yep it was the same for me too. The feelings of needing some sort of crutch. Although I smoked my last cigarette on the day I had my last drink, I was chewing up to 30 pieces of nicotine gum a day. The thought of stopping was truly terrifying.
              I made a decision one day to just do it. And I did :-)
              Not easy but very worthwhile.
              Good luck!
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
              X