I've found what works for me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty simple. I printed out a calendar with 6 months on it from MS Word. Every day I don't drink, I cross off with green highlighter. Every day I drink, I cross off with orange. I feel good at the end of the day when I know I've made it, and I cross it off. Drink tracker is good, but I need a piece of paper in my face. The month started with a 5 day binge. My first run was 9 days, followed by a 2 day "stumble". I am encouraged by this. I'm now on day 6 of my second run, and it's Friday, 11pm, and I have zero desire to drink. Man, it felt good to show up to work clear headed on a Monday. Like all the "normal" people always do lol....I make it through this weekend (which I WILL since my kids will be here), I'm on track to break the 9 day streak easily. I guess this has been my weightlifting approach, do more weight or reps every consecutive workout. Why not apply it here... I am noticing that I do all the same things I did before, but now I have more FREEDOM. I can get up and go anywhere or talk to anyone at any time, without fear or being judged or arrested. And hey, could it be, more money in my wallet? For me, the booze was like a $10 or more a day thing, but also I had a tendancy to buy stupid sh!t when I was buzzed. Bought a freakin recliner at Costco!! It's gone now. Bought junk food and ate it so many times. Not doing that either!

Hi Gearhead.
    Visuals are a good way of keeping track arent they?
    The benefits of not drinking surely do add up. Yesterday I was in the supermarket buying wine for a meal today and I remembered how I used to that every day! The money that was wasted and I saw it as an essential along with bread and milk.
    Keep going, you are doing very well.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

hi gears i to have the same formula,,start date was oct26/07, i went 67 days Al free,2008 217 Al days free,and this year so far it looks even better then 2008,the only thing i do , rather then hi liter, i put a check mark,total sobriety is good,as long as you dont develop another addiction,great job

Comment

good for you,i wish you well.since i came on to this site by just reading past & present posts i find that it helps me.

Comment

Good for you Gearhead!
          You sound very happy with your success and that's what it's all about
          Keep going!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey Gearhead, I have been doing that same strategy for a few years now. I have a huge wall calendar and on days I do not drink, I get a big happy smiley face, and days I do screw up, I put a big ugly sad face with a big X across it. The goal of course, is to get as many happy smiley faces as possible. I also need constant reminding and have found that having a daily reminder in my face to be accountable to really does help. Im glad you are doing so well, keep up the great work!! I am happy to report I have MANY big smiley faces for the month of August
            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Hi Gearhead, I still use smiley face stickers for AF days. As long as I've got 20 stickers a month I'm happy, and when I have none AF days I stick to one or two glasses of wine/G&T's.

Bets.
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Well here I go again! Was doing great. Fell off again. Every time I even take a sip I end up drinking every night for two to five days, losing productivity, and living in a dirty house. I guess the moral to me is that moderation is absolutely not an option I only want more and more to drink. So back, day one, got a green mark for today at least. Tomorrow I shall try to continue. At least I had more AF days this month that not. That in itself is a little bit of progress.

Comment

Hi Gearhead

Am going to do your chart idea, then even if i cock up the good days still exist. I understand about the little sip. Its like when you go on a diet and then you go off it you end up bigger than you ever were before the diet. When I stop drinking and then start again I drink even more than before, moderation for me is not an option at all but I really really struggle with the concept of never drinking again, it nearly makes me feel sad-----how sad is that!!! I wish there was a pill or something that would make me like ordinary people. Anyway pick yourself u:exclamation like we all keep doing today is another (good?) day good luck
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Gearhead
                    It is discouraging when we drink again, but the important part is that you are right back on your AF committment. You can and will do this, thanks for being honest and know we have all been there, done that. That first sip is what gets me too. Sometimes I can moderate but most times I can't and I am finding the hangover lasts alot longer than the buzz.
                    Redhibiscus

Comment

Working...
                    X