Clear All

Welcome to Fight Club- September Edition

i hope im comin back to you tomorrow:upset:
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi all,

Thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing.

Determination, I know you will get there. You have to remember what your initial commitment was about - not forget how horrible the anxiety, guilt and withdrawals are. This is always what trips me up. And thinking that just a few shots will be ok or it will be 'different' this time. Since when, I have to ask myself?

RedH, that sounds familiar. You think you want a drink then when you actually do have a drink it's the last thing you wanted. When I get the feeling like I think I want a drink, I try to imagine actually doing it. The routine. Walking into the off licence (making sure it is one I haven't been in for some time), feeling guilty for buying it, then hiding it as I get home, then opening it and taking a big slug which makes me shiver, then it not doing what I want it to, then being unable to stop drinking it and then carrying on, ruining the next few days feeling ill. Usually when I think about all this I feel disgusted by the time I get to the bit about taking that slug and it feeling wrong. So I stop and ask myself if I really want a drink after all or what is it that I ACTUALLY want. I haven't figured out what it is I want, but it's usually not a drink, it's more that I don't want to feel like I am feeling at that moment (eg. bored, lonely etc.)

Puddy - I think it's great that you are working out what works best for you. If ODAT works best for you, then you go with it, although I still would like to hear of your progress on this thread too - as you are part of The Fight Club! You're fighting ain't ya?

Mollyka - Do not worry about slipping. The important thing is you are trying and we all want to help you. If you ever want to talk make sure you PM me- I am in the same time zone as you, which makes a change!

Liath, great to see you back as well - I hadn't seen you for a bit. Sorry to hear about your panic attack. Blimey the anxiety after drinking is a killer isn't it. I am sure you will do really well on your tests - you just have to try and focus on what is the most important to you and try not to let the pressure get on top of you. You showed incredible strength a couple of weeks ago during the crisis with your family, so I know you have it in you. Go on, girl, make yourself proud!!

As for me, I am 18 days AF. Probably only kept in check by the fact I have my dad and ma staying with me alternating weeks (I only have one blow-up bed!), but I know it is still good for me as the more AF time I get under my belt the better. 2 weeks is typically danger zone for me if I'm alone. I'd rather not be alone at the moment.
      Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kimberly!!! 18 days.. you rock!!!! :thumbsup

Red... :l I've been there and the anxiety and self loathing of my last 'episode' I think have given me the final push to say: "That's IT!". May last Saturday be your final push.

So sorry, guys 'n dolls.. I haven't been checking in here for a while - too much going on at the moment. But, today is day 47 AF. And I couldn't have done even 7 without all of you. So, thank you from the bottom, top, sides of my heart.

Keep fighting - all of you - it can be done!
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Sunny - 47 days AF! Woweeee!! :wave:

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Kim- 18 days. Great job!

I have been AF for 3 days and my last binge was a week ago now so I am feeling pretty good. I have been studying every waking minute that I am not at work so I can kick butt on this test. This weekend I have so much to do. I can't even think about drinking. Sunshine- I am impressed.

Take care everyone!
            Liath

Comment

Hey Fight Club, I posted a long one yesterday morning, but see now it didn’t stick after I was required re-entered my id & password. Back again.

Liath, good to hear from you! – thx for welcome me to keep fighting w/ the club. GRE exam is tough. I took GMAT – didn’t quie hit the 80% percentile (79th) so I got in by the skin of my chinny-chin-chin. The practice tests were hlpful, I thought, to gauge readiness.

And you too Kimberley thx for message … I’m so glad you aren’t alone after work so are able to string some days together. Curious, did you ask for your parents their help, asking them to stay by you to keep you from drinking? I could see that working…know you’ve been asking for more help. Glad you have a job you love, and are reaching out.

Determination, you’ll be OK. Haven’t seen you post in a couple days since you caved. Your user name is no joke (like you said it was)! My god – you got, what, 3-4 WEEKS straight?! That shows you can do it. Coming back up the slippery slope is a little tricky. You can get that toe hold back.

Namaste, Sunni – interesting post about your son’s drunken step-mom … glad I’m not around kids too much; another wake-up call. Have a good weekend cleaning and yardwork! … everyone good luck on the weekend.
              Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Hey everyone! Saturday afternoon and feeling tired but good. Took a short trip to celebrate my daughter's birthday and had a great time AF. We even went to an Irish Pub, but I was not tempted at all. I just keep picturing how I felt last week...that first glass of wine was wrong and it went downhill from there.

Kimberly-you are right about drinking to change feelings. And many times it is boredom or feeling not good enough or something. But drinking does not fill the need I have to change my feelings.

I am asking, What do you do instead of drinking when you get that feeling of emptiness? Thanks for the support.
                Redhibiscus

Comment

Morning everyone,

I'm finally back and glad to be here. My sister visited from Sept 12 through the 21st and then I flew to Portland, OR on the 21st and got back yesterday. While my sister was here I didn't do the greatest but Portland was ok (talking about drinking of course). I had a great time and will miss them terribly.

Just thought I would sign in real fast, I have to unpack and get ready for more company today. My husband's son and 3 children are staying the night and he didn't do much cleaning of course. I guess a messy house with him is better than a messy house without him.

Comment

Hey all,

Sparklez, good to see you back! Haven't seen you for ages! Glad you had a good time in Portland and managed fairly well.

Liath, I hope you had a nice, productive weekend. It will be worth all the studying when you pass the test! Check in when you have time.

Puddy, in answer to your question, I did originally ask my ma to come and stay with me as I couldn't cope and was stressed out and I can't be alone in the house. That didn't work at all as she tried to take everything over and i ended up having a big row with her and a big ol binge! But my dad came down after that and he and my ma are staying alternately until I get into my new houseshare, where I will have people to come home to. (Dad has 'had a word' with ma about how she acts when she's here.) It is becoming a bit draining now as I have a very small house and need my space!! But hell yeah, I definitely can't drink and am grateful to them for giving me all their time.

Determination, are you about my dear?

RedH, how great that you went to the pub and enjoyed it AF! Congrats to you. Try to keep picturing how bad you felt that last time as the feeling will fade in intensity and you probably will feel more tempted as that happens. God how I wish I could capture withdrawal in some way that I could show myself how bad it felt when I'm tempted.

You asked "What do you do instead of drinking when you get that feeling of emptiness?" I'm still trying to find the perfect answer to this. I just tend to get moody and go to bed early or come on here. Walking also helps loads (except I can't do that so much due to ankle injury - roll on my operation!).
                    One of my counsellors suggested kind of 'asking' yourself in your head what it is you actually want, sort of asking the part that is unhappy, why it is unhappy and what it actually wants. I haven't quite figured it out yet. All I get is "Not to feel like this." Let me know if you have any luck with this one.

Hope everyone else is well and doing dandy.

Recovery Videos

Comment

Reporting in....Friday was a horrible, bad, ugly day at work. I just gave up the fight. But, I am now on day 3 AF. I have a plan tonight. It is just so frustrating!

Kimberley - you are doing awesome! I also like the idea of asking myself what is I really want. It is always emotional for me - primarily boredom or stress. When bored, time just seems to go faster when I am drinking wine - not sure why. I am also an emotional eater, and so I used to eat when I was bored and eventually I transferred that to drinking wine when bored. I know I need to plan for what to do when I am bored - especially since it is going to start getting darker here as we enter into the winter months.

Red - Very proud of you!

Sparkle - good to see you back.

Liath - thinking of you and sending good wishes your way.

Puddy - how are you doing with ODAT?
                      ODAT!

Comment

Well darn it anyway, I am still struggling. I don't know if it is still from the vacation or what. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Comment

I'd love to join
                          Life Without Drinking Is Life Worth Living.

Comment

Reflections on September Fight Club

I know today is only the 29th, but I was thinking about this particular thread and the influence on my journey this month. It was so helpful to have made a committment and to have a specific place to go. I did not stay totally AF but view this month as a huge breakthrough for several reasons. Two days of drinking during this month, and when I did slip, I was able to come to this site and 'fess up. IN the past I would just avoid this site and then begin drinking more and more. This time, I was helped by being honest and asking for help.

Is that one of the keys? Asking for help? I think in my case it might be. And having support. Not people judging you but individuals who understand and are supportive. Thanks everyone so much.

Another things that has made a deep impression is that now when I drink, it is just not fun anymore due to the worry about health issues, hangovers that never end, and guilt and shame. The last time I drank, the first drink did not feel right. So, I am really trying to stay AF.

Please everyone, let's keep supporting each other and reading and posting. We can live AF lives and enjoy the benefits of feeling good everyday.:thanks:
                            Redhibiscus

Comment

Working...
                            X