Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

How does one just stop drinking? Every morning I tell myself I will not drink today and every night I do. :new:

Help

Hi Kate :welcome:
    First of all, you have taken a great first step by coming here. You are amongst friends.
    You need a plan to overcome the cravings when they come. Just telling yourself you want to quit is not enough. You need the tools to get the job done.
    A good first step would be to download the MWO book and give it a read. It is full of inspiration and advice for how to quit.
    There is also a toolbox thread with lots of good advice from people who are struggling or who have managed to conquer the "beast".
    Look around the threads, read, post, check out the Newbies Nest, there are lots of people who want to help.'
    Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
    If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
    November 2, 2012

Comment

Help

Hi KateA and welcome. Ditto what Wally22 said. ODAT thread is good too. (One Day At A Time) Here's a link to the tool box thread. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html Look forward to getting to know you!
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Help

KateAndrew;709074 wrote: How does one just stop drinking? Every morning I tell myself I will not drink today and every night I do. :new:
        Best way I know: Don't buy it!

I really don't mean that to sound cheeky... I personally don't have a problem if I'm out (rare that I'm out where there's booze, anyway). If I have it available at home - well, I drink it!!
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Help

Welcome:welcome: Wally started you off with good advice. Yes, we have a Newbie's nest, ODAT, etc. So, jump on board.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Help

First Day

Hi All, :new:

Today is my first day here and I am hoping to be more successful than earlier attempts. I have appreciated reading your helpful tips and will be following Kate as I will have some of the same questions and issues. For now, I have just downloaded the book and I plan to read that this evening as my urge to start drinking will begin....again. I look forward to visiting this site often for inspiration and support. Cheers!

Comment

Help

:welcome: Steel Magnolia
              I feel like the official greeter today :H:H:H
              Enjoy the read, I find lots of milky tea gets me through the night. Others like water with lemon or lime. Still others juices, like cranberry etc. Stock up so you will have something to grab when the urge to sip strikes.
              Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
              If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
              November 2, 2012

Comment

Help

I know that feeling well...waking up feeling rough and vowing that I wouldn't drink that evening. However after carbohydrates and lots of rehydration, by 5 pm I would be feeling better and open the wine (lots of rationalisation invloved, I've had a rough day and deserve a drink, celebrating some good news, the list is endless!!), 1 1/2 bottles later I would be passed out and feel rough the next day only for the cycle to continue. It is very hard to break but you can do it. I agree with the other suggestions and look at the toolbox. I did a cost benefit analysis which helped. Also I began to talk back to myself. In other words, if I had a bad day with the kids playing up, rather than say to myself I need a drink/deserve a drink, I would realise that so many other mums have hard days with the kids and don't have a drink...why should I. These things helped but everyone is different. You have made a first step by questioning why you drink after telling yourself you won't. Good luck!
                Dora

Comment

Help

Wally, a blue vest with the emblem is on the way, you greeter you! :H

Steely, welcome! There's chat too you know. People are always in chat in the evenings. And if no one is there some other time, post a thread asking if anyone wants to chat. I hope that comes across in a sensible way.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Help

Hi KateAndrew & steel magnolia,

Welcome, this is a great place!
                    You've already received some great advice. I would just like to add a note - you really, really need a strong desire to quit! You have to want to quit more than you want to drink!! Make a list of reasons why you want to quit. Carry that list with you everywhere you go so you can constantly remind yourself. Ask yourself why you drink now, list the reasons. Is there something you can do, something you can change to eliminate those reasons?

I know this is tough right now but you can do it, I did and I've been happier & healthier since.
                    Stay close, read & post frequently, whatever it takes to help you meet your goals.

Wishing you the best.
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Help

same here

as you KateAndrew & Steel,just beginning to wake up to myself & the habit - been thinking about quitting for months (try the start of the year!) & did not ever really have the commitment in my head to try.Surprised myself by realising that yes,I'm going to have to work at it.I've only just found this site so will be appearing a bit more now.

Comment

Help

Welcome Beagle, KateA and Steel,

First you really have to want to stop and yes get the alcohol out of your house. Find a nice treat to have after a bad day or when you've made it through the day without a drink and cherish it.
                        Stick around this is a great place for support
                        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Help

Welcome! Yes, having a plan is vital. As I have noted, morning Redhibiscus hates nighttime Redhibiscus. It is like I am two different people. I forget the hellish sleep, the anxiety, the guilt. I found that my witching hour is between four and seven p.m. So, in the beginning (I have been working at this a long time) I would have a specific plan as to my evening. What nonalcoholic drink to have, dinner to make, and book to read or people to call. Anything to fill my time. After I found I did not have to drink every night or almost every night, I find that I can stay alcohol free (AF) and it is a miracle.

This is a journey where you find your old nonalcohol self. So, remember, progress not perfection. You can do this and the rewards will be health, better relationships, interests to pursue, etc. Come to this site when you need to, we are all in this together.
                          Redhibiscus

Comment

Help

welcome all of you!

the first week is rough, but each day you will feel prouder, stronger, and that makes it a little easier.

i find distractions during those witching hours of 5 - 7pm. I take my dog for a walk, deep breathing, coming here and posting/reading.

good luck to you all, i know you can do it!
                            AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

Help

Help Found

Wow. Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions. I have so much in common with everything that was said. I feel like I am in the right place here; like I may actually be able to do this now. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X