Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your problem is alcohol the only thing that worked for me is hitting rock bottom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your problem is alcohol the only thing that worked for me is hitting rock bottom.

Hi all,

I stumbled accross this forum while doing a little research on Naltrexone. I have been a binge drinker for years. I could list all the reasons why I feel I was a binge drinker but the more I speak to others who have battled the slipperly slope of alcoholism of some sort the more I know they are all going to be the same, so it would be a futile exersize.

I am not going to go into specifics at this point but when you hit rock bottom in your life you absolutely know it. What rock bottom signifies to different people I am sure varies however when I hit mine I knew. I have not experienced this as yet although I have been in alot of relationships, but I have never just known someone was the one. I was always one foot in and one foot out. Well lucky me I just 'knew' when I had hit rock bottom.

My parents and friends had been on my case to go to some sort of rehab for years - I am late 20s and male just so you have a reference point. The fact of the matter is I simply did not want to stop binging. I look back now and remember all the times I made an arse of myself alllllll those times, all those times I had to apologize, all those times I did stupid inane stuff and all those times I mixed alcohol with medication.

More than anything else I think it is a very sad affliction for people going through it.

I am writing because I have just come out of two weeks of rehab. This is after I hit what I consider 'rock bottom'. I saw people from every walk of life in that rehab facility minus the alcohol. Of course there were differing cases, some people were daily drinkers, some people had to wake up in the middle of the night to drink, some people constantly drank. As I mentioned before I was a binge drinker.

Rehab was a massive wake up call, I had pretty much every test known to man. I have the start of a slightly fatty liver and nothing else thank god. My brain is still fully intact. The doctors said to me that either the brain or the liver goes first. The doctors also said that the liver forgives but does not forget. ie you stop drinking and it will repair itself (at the stage I am at - you start drinking again and it will forget about the repair, go back to where it was and continue to die.

It has been 24 days since I have ingested any alcohol of any sort. I know for the average person that may not sound like a particularly long time but for me that is a miricle in itself. It must be about 4 or 5 years since I have gone that long without a binge.

Rehab gave me the tools, and the matter-of-fact-ness re my medical condition to deal with drinking. The fact that any sort of alcoholism does not discriminate I thought was good in a way because I found myself feeling so alone so much of the time.

I was prescribed nalrexone in rehab. As well as niacin b1 (liver food) and a multivitamin. I had detoxed before I hit the rehab doors so there was no need for me to do it there - I had already made up my mind that was it, I couldn't drink socially, I couldn't binge just no more drinking full stop - Which is really the point I am trying to make.

Until you get to a place where you make up your mind for yourself that alcohol is doing you far more harm than good, and I am sure that place is going to be different for everyone, I know, I at least, would always strugle with cravings. That's the place I call rock bottom.

Naltrexone for me: I started with 25mg as so many people do for a few days in rehab. I noticed kind of a stoned feeling with the first tablet. A few days later I was bumped up to 50 mg. Then I took myself back down to 25 mg and off naltrexone altogether. It was about a week long experiment for me.

My thinking has not changed. I know where binge drinking leads. I finally admitted it to myself. I don't precribe to AA or anything like that. It just doesn't suit me. I guess I am somewhat of a loner in a way and need to experience things for myself.

Rehab is fantastic for all the tools it gives you and the re-enforcement it gives you telling you that if you start drinking again you are going to end up "here". Rock bottom obviously. Basically thats what rehab is. Telling you that in a myriad of different ways over and over and telling you the health risks over and over. I guess they are trying to cover every learning style because it's true that people learn different ways.

Naltrexone just gave me horrendous dreams and trouble sleeping. I thought the same as I did when I started it to when I came off it. I am sure many people will disagree with me but I just wanted to share my story.

I honestly believe you have to get to that place where you decide for yourself you don't want to drink again. I was told 1000 times, my mother tried to get a court order to book me into rehab, I lost friends over it, I screwed up relationships over it, all the stuff everyone in here can probably relate to.

It wasn't until I decided to do it for me that I made all the calls to the rehab centre and booked myself in. I think rehab is a worthwhile exersize - I know I got a lot out of it and I know I will never drink again. I have the diagrams cemented in my head. I know exactly where it will lead and no one on this entire forum would consider that a nice place. Believe me.

Good luck to everyone here wherever you are with your struggle and know that you are not alone.
    "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

Hi there

When you hit rock bottom the only way is up!

Congrats on your 24 days Alcohol Free and thanks for sharing your experience here. You are so right about doing it for yourself.
    Have a look at the toolbox under the monthly moderation forum, it has lots of good suggestions. Also, although many use medicines to help quit, in my opinion it is your frame of mind that is most important and there is no magic pill. You sound like you are positive and determined to succeed, good luck for a happy, sober future.
    If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

Hello Aust boy and welcome. Thanks for the detailed post, you hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned in saying that we need to decide for ourselves to stop. Any amount of outside influences and pressure will make no difference in the long run unless we truly decide to make that transition. I know, having convinced myself on many ocassions in the past that I had had enough of AL only to start back within a few days.
      Well done on your AF time and I wish you continued sucess, you have stumbled on a fantastic place here at MWO.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thanks for your post, AB.
        Well done, and good move with the re-hab. Now the real work begins, staying off it. Welcome, and stick around here. You'll find lot's of support, info, and good people.

Best wishes.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

How wonderful that you found us!! Welcome, AB. There are many different types of alcoholics, and as you said, different bottoms. Alcoholism is a part of us, but I have a belief that it is not what defines us. I have the disease of alcoholism, but I do not introduce my self as an alcoholic as that I feel that contains me in the negative; past, present and future. But that is just me. I follow the path of Buddhism and Recovery.

There is a lot of fabulous people here and many different paths that people follow. Some follow AA (which I have the up most respect for), some have a different approach, some use MYO as their support group - which I also do (but not as much lately). I LOVE the people here. You will find yours, especially if you keep searching. Something will stick. You must look deep, though. Alcoholism and our minds can be very tricky, so keep your eyes turned inward...

Read a lot, ask questions, and never give up!

Good luck to you, my friend.

Namaste,

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

:welcome:

AB,

Good fine place you've found here.

Can't add much to what has already been posted.

Stay strong, your journey now begins.

Hope to get to know you better.

JackieClaire x
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

:welcome: Thanks for posting and glad you've found us. You will be a great help to other newcomers.

Good Luck, and stay with us.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hi aust_boy,

Welcome, glad you found us
                Congratulations on your 24 AF days, you must feel great!!
                You've done the best thing for yourself, one so young. Now you can look forward to a long, happy, healthy life!
                There are lots of threads here you can follow, please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread.

Wishing you continued success!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

wow, honest post!
                  i'm rather tired but i had to say that it seems you are ready for a new life.
                  i am glad for you!

high tough, you'll be glad.

Comment

hang tough i meant to type.
                    time for sleep.
                    (isn't it fun to wake up sober? i think this is the highlight for me at 31 days w/no vino (which i don't miss)!

Comment

You know I had almost given up on internet forums as any sort of reasonable medium to voice your feelings, provide your stories for others to (hopefully) learn from (I know I didn't) and most of all, I have no idea why - maybe I have just been looking in the wrong places but the majority have been full of hard to get along with *()&'s. What can I say. I am super glad to have found this place. I will be back here whenever I can - not because I worry about falling back onto that slippery slope of alcoholism but rather because I believe I have conquered what I had. I also realize it is still early days (if you told me months ago that I would be calling 25 days early days I would have laughed. I would have been lucky to go three days). As I have said I have hit rock bottom and that does something to you. I have realized that 95% of my mistakes in my 20's are due to alcohol, I have injured myself to the point of having to be hospitalized for months for a shattered wrist, a fractured shoulder, a dislocated shoulder all because of alcohol. I have caused people to feel bad and I regret that. I have never been violent which is a blessing in disguise but I have landed myself in court on a dui and now have that on my record and am currently without a car. Like I said it is a sad sad affliction because when I was at rehab the people were genuinely so nice. I made friends there that I am sure I am going to keep for life. The difference was they weren't under the influence.

You see people outside of their alcohol related safe havens, crutches, whatever you want to call them - they are all essentially the same. I started self medicating with alcohol and a few bad relationships later I was binging like there was no tomorrow. Like I said in rehab I wouldn't really think about it I would just do it. I knew I shouldn't do it. I would promise god, I would swear on my dogs (who I dearly love) my mother, you name it yet I would get the keys, drive down to the bottle O and get that liquid. That is all that mattered. I will share more as time goes on but in a way I am thank full that I had a very harsh rock bottom and a very severe wake up call. Rehab has given me the tools and I just need to use them. I would recommend rehab to everyone in this place who can relate at all to anything I am saying. I would add this however. Rehab is a waste of time if you haven't got to that place where you are absolutely over drinking for all the reasons that all of you know. To list ten of the top of my head. Having to apologize the next day for things you don't even remember doing, that horrible regret you feel the next day, the self esteem kill that alcohol is because you think less and less of yourself every time you mess up, the depression it can and usually does cause, the anxiety it causes - the next day especially. The wanting more alcohol to get back to baseline. The gathering every last coin in your house so you can get to the bottle shop and buy anything, the constant badgering from friends who actually care about you but don't know what its like, the disappointment you see in your parents eyes or the eyes of your loved ones. Is that ten? I could go on but as I said before there is no point because you all already know if you are here. I have been there and done that with every part of alcohol abuse and it is not pretty. It is not pretty at all. I am just so thankful that a series of events eventuated that got me to rehab and most importantly got my mind to a place where it turned from love to hate for alcohol. I now place no value on it. If there was a bottle of hennesy in front of me here I would probably poor that down the sink before any water. Water is good for you.

Keep up the niacin every one. It is awesome liver food. I say whatever works for you and whatever it takes to get your mind to that place for YOURSELF is what you need to do. For me no amount of telling me I should do this or that worked. I went to an AA meeting tipsy once because I was forced to then binged that same night.

Again - very sad because we are all nice people under this disease. I couldn't get over the myriad of different people at rehab. Everyone from solicitors to doctors to the young to the old to the you name it they were there. This disease truly does not discriminate.

I am proud to say I am a "happy non drinker" the tough part is to become a happy non drinker instead of someone with an "alcohol problem trying not to drink". I strongly believe in mindset but that is just my opinion and I am sure others will disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I have felt absolutely fantastic for the past 25 days. It is like I have a life again. I had no idea the harm the alcohol was doing to me. I was using it as a coping mechanism, an escape mechanism - if only i knew how much worse I was making myself. I feel like me again now. I can truly say that, before all the alcohol abuse.

I am happy to share anything with anyone if you think it will help you, I have been there and I have done that and I honestly don't see how someone who hasn't could be of help. Not to people like me anyway, people who have to experience it for themselves to get to that mind state - which is most of us isn't it?

Again good luck to you all and know that everyone on this forum who hasn't quite reached the quit mark or if you are aiming for social drinking (I could never do that - it would do nothing but tease me and honestly I just do not want alcohol in my life period) and are able to keep it to that I wish you the best. From what I can gather from a whole 2 days here there are actually NICE people here who are willing to help. Someone nailed it in one of the comments. I am very lucky to have stumbled across this place. Also thank-you for all the pleasant replies. It is obvious that people here are serious and mature (regardless of age) about wanting to rid themselves of the positions they are in. It seems like there are plenty of people to help.

The reason I don't prescribe to AA is because I do believe I have power over alcoholism. I do believe that I had to reach a certain point as low as it was to truly want to stop for myself.

I remember once at an AA meeting a lady came in and said hi my name is Shirly. I am an alcoholic. "hi shirly" I have been sober 30 years... That is not what I wanted. I did not want to consider myself an alcoholic after 30 years. I realized when I achieved the mindset I have now and the true desire to quit for myself, not a relitive, not a girlfriend, not a family member, not anyone else but myself. I knew I could and would do it.

Everyone has a different brain and therefore a different way of approaching tackling the disease.

Whatever that is for each of you I wish you the best of luck!!

Being sober is amazing - just think of all the things you wont have to go through the next morning! You get sharper, your mind starts to return to normal and you can feel that every day. It's like a gift.

Be well everyone.

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

Comment

Hiya Aust-Boy,
                        Just a quick one to say congrats on your AF days, its fun regaining a sense of dignity and self respect.
                        Best wishes from a fellow binge drinking, late twenties, Aussie ( ? ) chick. xx
                        I am Perfectly Imperfect!

Comment

AF Jan '09 ?? :goodjob: That's amazing, all I can do is applaud you. You obviously have your mind in the right place and yes it is truly gratifying taking back all that you lost through what I now see as a horrible liquid without value. Your dignity, your self respect, your self esteem, your self confidence, your loyalty from others, people actually having faith in you and trusting you and of course the living in denial and the zero value you place on yourself.

I didn't quite get the last part of your entry, Yep I am Aussie, from Brisbane 29 and male - I put that in my first post as a reference. I think it's also interesting to see what works for different people according to gender and age. I know others will disagree, I keep saying that because they have every right to but I honestly believe it's about finally having the mindset in stone 100% for yourself, no one else. I guess for me I rebelled a little late. In my 20s for various different reasons that I will reveal as I spend more time on here and get to know and trust more people. So far this is the best forum hands down I have literally stumbled across.

Nice to meet you Gidget - where do I know that name from... Inspector Gadget? No wait is it the little girl in robocop 3? I'm not sure. I know it from somewhere. Keep up the amazing work!!

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

Comment

When one,s expectations are reduced to zero, One really appriciates everything one does have.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Good job, AB.
                              Now the work really begins. Mindset is very important. For me, it was my thinking, not my drinking. If you haven't seen it, the 'toolbox' thread here, in monthly abstinence section, is full of useful info/inspiration for our early day's af. (alcohol free)

Best wishes my friend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X