Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um ... hi

Hi. New here (obviously).

I've had a drinking problem for, oh, about all of my adult life which is gradually getting worse. Have sworn to myself hundreds of times to give it up and never have. Except when I was pregnant with each of my 3 kids and for the first year of their lives, when it wasn't a problem to give up at all.

I"m sick of being this way, though. I hate what I've become, and I hate carrying around this burden of guilt and shame.

In the past couple of months I have tried a couple of times to stop. Once I made it three days. This week I made it two days and then last night decided I deserved a glass of wine to relax with which of course became 2, 3, 4, 5. I stopped when the wine was gone.

There's no wine in the house today and I'm not buying any.

Googled "alcoholism support" this morning and found this forum and for the first time have some hope that I might actually succeed in kicking my habit.

Um ... hi

Welcome Ultra!

You have indeed stumbled on to a wonderful place of support, wisdom, and practical advice!
    And it's wonderful that you've decided to post immediately! Many of us :blush: lurked for quite a while before we summoned up the courage to post and introduce ourselves

Funny, you call it a 'habit'... I've just started reading Allen Carr (the easy way to quit smoking, that is) and I'm pretty sure when he says there "it's not a habit, it's an addiciton" - that applies just as well to alcohol. Call it what you may... it's got to stop, though, right?

Have you read the MWO book yet? Highly recommend it. It's not too long and a very pleasant read. It'll give you a very different perspective on how to beat this addiction. Also, have a look at the Toolbox thread - many, many great ideas and coping tools there.

But, most of all... read and jump into posts when you feel like it... and please know that you are in a safe place, where there are no wrong or stupid questions, everyone knows exactly how you feel, and all of us are in your corner.
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Um ... hi

Hello UltraVoilet,

I can relate to you story all too well. I've followed pretty much the same pattern - except I picked up my wine habit again right after each my kids were delivered. Not very proud of that! But the constant broken promises (to myself and others), the shame and regret are feelings I've had to carry for years as well. I am aslo committed to stop abusing AL - maybe stop drinking all together. I got a lot out of reading the book MWO - especially as a mom. But I am still struggling - some days are better than others. Days can go by on end and then - like you - I feel like I deserve one glass, then another and the bottle is gone...and them I am waking up with a hangover the next morning....struggling through the day feeling like a horrible person and bad mother. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I am glad you found this site and that you are not alone...

I do hope you stick around and get the support and advice you are looking for...and make the changes in your life that you deserve.

Lots of hugs and good wishes,
      LM:welcome:

Comment

Um ... hi

Thanks for the welcome sunshine_gg and LuckyMom

Sunshine I haven't read the MWO book yet but had a look at the blog and the community here and the basic philosophy coincides with what I had been thinking to myself was the way ahead. It will be nice to have some support, though.

And I think my drinking is both an addiction and a habit. There are times when I don't really feel the need for a drink, but I have one anyway because I associate drinking with a particular activity/timeslot/whatever.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the community here. I feel hopeful for the first time in a very long time today

Comment

Um ... hi

Why don't you join us in the Newbie's Nest?
          We're a right silly bunch, but serious about getting off this merry-go-round!

Also, the ODAT (One Day At a Time) thread, the September To Remember, the 7.5 day pact... they are all great threads with people in every stage of recovery.

We'd love to have you in any or all of them!
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Um ... hi

Welcome UltraViolet, This is a GREAT site for you to come to. I'm only 29 and all the people here have taught me whats ahead in my life if I continue to drink as much as I use to. Please stay involved and keep posting and reading. Much Love to you!!

:wings:Love, Peace, and Happiness!

Comment

Um ... hi

Welcome UV!

I think it's time you put yourself first!! it's easier for us to stop drinking for others in our lives, but not so easy to stay stopped if we are not doing it for ourselves.

Read, post and maybe start off with 30 days AF? You will feel so good once you get past the initial week, you may just want to continue. That is what has worked for me.

Good luck in your journey!
              AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

Um ... hi

G'day UV, and a big welcome to you!
                This is a great place, as everyone say's. A huge variety of people, opinions, education, and information. You will also find as good a support as is possible, i reckon, for an on-line thing. I think you'll learn even more about your drinking, and your relationship to alcohol, and sure to see yourself in many post's here. There is a thread here for those of us in the Southern hemishere time zone's (quite a few Aussies) called ' The next day thread'. You would be most welcome to join in if you think it could be of use. Read lot's here, take care of you, and congratulations for taking this step, and doing something for yourself.

Best wishes, and Bravo!..............

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Um ... hi

Hi UV,

Welcome to MWO, glad you found us!
                  Making a plan is essential to your success, having no alcohol in the house is a great start. I poured the last of my wine down the drain, ceremonial style, promised myself I would buy no more and I haven't. Identifying your triggers and making changes, also very important.

Please feel free to join us on the numerous threads, stay close, post often.
                  Wishing you the best!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Um ... hi

Welcome UV :welcome:

My story too is like yours - which is frightening as my children are all teenagers and shows how long I've been drinking out of control.

You've come to the right place, the people here are so supportive.

All the best

Snap X
                    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Um ... hi

just like to say :welcome: uv you have found a great place with lots of support and advice.see ya around.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                      X