Hi everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone

I drink all the time. 7 days a week. Mostly wine ... I really need an easy to read book that can help motivate myself to stop drinking.
    I use to be able to control it but ever since my arm injury happened (Nerve damage) it has gotten out of control. Without working and being on extended health I am limited to doing nothing but drinking and playing x-box. I am 28 years old and notice i spend at least 30$ a day on alcohol. I do admit to anyone who asks that I do have a problem. I really want to stop drinking but at the same time I would like to drink with my friends when i do see them.

Basically, i need a book that can help me control and motivate me to hold back until those special occasions such as weddings and birthdays. I find my self so damn bored but yet I am very active. It's now at the point that i want to drink while I'm doing these fun activities and that is not good.

I hit the gym each day, i kayak and play hockey and much much more. It seems I always think about the drink no matter what time of day and no matter how shitty I feel.

Anyways, please toss some advice my way.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

Is the book My way out any good?
    Seems to have some good ratings.

Have a good night,

- Chris from Van.

Hi everyone

:hello2::colorwelcome:

Hi thesizzler,

Good safe place you've found.

If you go to Our Community, the go to First Time Here then scroll down a bit to the 'The My Way Out FAQ' thread you'll find a world of answers.

Lots of kind wise people with loads of advice, whichever path you choose.

Congratulations on recognizing you're struggling now rather than later in life.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi everyone

Welcome Chris....

MWO is a good read but there are many others as well....check out a book website and then just google the titles. I have a HUGE library of stopping drinking books, as I am sure many others here do as well!!! You can actually download the MWO book and read it immediately.

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask anything!

Christy
      AF July 6 2014

Comment

Hi everyone

Hi, sizzler -

Start with the MWO book (keep getting information from this site as well - there's a ton of it). Check with your local library if money is a problem - they can borrow books from other libraries (from pretty much anywhere) if they don't have the ones you're looking for.
        Start the supplements - I take L-Glute and kudzu and they do help in my case. Be aware of your triggers. Sounds like boredom is a big one. I'd suggest exercise but you do that already.
        Do you have any other activities or interests you haven't done in awhile or are there events going on in your area? Something that may even seem a little inane or ridiculous, but could go with a friend and laugh about it if there's nothing you are real interested in?

Several years ago, I had my leg in a cast for for 2 1/2 months, couldn't drive, and took the first beer that was offered me, ending 9 months of sobriety. Boredom and frustration definitely contributed. In more recent years I would get on the computer and drink all night. Fortunately I found this site, and have been AF for 38 days. This is after heavy drinking for 36 years. It's great you are aware of this problem at a younger age, it can only get worse, trust me.

Keep coming here, keep reading, keep posting. When I first started, I spent hours here just to keep me sober. Someone is always willing to listen, we have all been there, or still going through it.

Best of luck to you, and please keep coming back.
        ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hi everyone

Sounds like you are using AL as a pain med for your injury, or maybe it just started out that way. No Matter- you are here A great place to be , If you want to quit, stay close to MWO, read past posts, go into the chat room, We are all here for each other, Good Luck,
          DLW
          Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
          And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
            Today is a Mystery
            Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks everyone for your posts.
            I am back to work this Saturday and have been given the go to get back into a lot of the sports i like to play. Hope fully this keeps me busy and away from the bottle
            I am going to do some browsing around this forum and get to know everyone.
            I am going to try and find some e-books online and begin reading.
            It's exciting to no that i can lick this stupid booze problem and put that money back in my pocket were it belongs.

Comment

Hi everyone

Does anyone know where i can download My Way Out book?
              Seems to be a great book. The ratings are really good. Excited to read.

Comment

Hi everyone

Hello sizzler & welcome! You can download the book by going to the home page and on the left side towards the bottom you'll see download the book as PDF. Personally, I think that's your best start. Since you are so active, are you familiar with l-glutamine?
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi everyone

greeneyes;716480 wrote: Hello sizzler & welcome! You can download the book by going to the home page and on the left side towards the bottom you'll see download the book as PDF. Personally, I think that's your best start. Since you are so active, are you familiar with l-glutamine?
                  Hey , thanks for the reply.

Glut amine is something i use to take about 10 years back. honestly, I have no idea why it's good anymore. I usually just eat healthy and try to get all my supplements within the food i eat.
                  Can you explain why this is taken? Please and thanks
                  Thanks for the helping hand.

Comment

Hi everyone

It helps reduce alcohol cravings. RJ talks about it in her MWO book. I thought you may be familiar with it as it is sold in store sections of body building supplements and such. If you decide to get Kudzu, it seems to be common agreement that the MWO kudzu is far superior.

Also, alcohol depletes the body of many nurtients that may be absorbed by food alone. Supplementation is a pretty big issue and again, RJ knows her stuff.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone

Awesome, I had no idea it helped stopped cravings. I am about to download the PDf file and begin reading.
                      Thanks again for the tips. I can't wait to sleep past 3am without waking up and needing to chug 2L of water.

Comment

Hi everyone

:H It is amazing that 3 AM is the magic number for everyone.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone

greeneyes;716512 wrote: :H It is amazing that 3 AM is the magic number for everyone.
                          Ha !

Seems to be...

I'm just got the 100% word I am back to work on light duties!
                          In a weird way I am excited to go back and change my ways and make some money again.
                          Extended medical really doesn't pay enough.
                          I tell yea,

Comment

Hi everyone

good sizzer! be good to yourself!
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone

Good to get back to 'normal' again....you may find you will be ok now....good for you for recognizing the trouble signs.........
                              AF July 6 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X