Need help here in Atlanta!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from my doctor, actually one of the doctor's of group practice that I go to, she would not prescribe Topomax. She was too afraid of the side effects and admitted she did not know anything about it's use to curb alcohol cravings. She did give me the name of a psychiatrist that prescribes anti-depressants! I told her that has been what the doctor's have been doing for years and it has not helped me, only "bandaids" the problem. Why is there not a list on this web site of doctor's that are for the MWO program and understand how Topomax is used? Can anyone help, I'm at a loss.
    Christine
    :l :upset:

Hi there. It's possible to print out the lancet article and the book pdf and take them to the psychiatrist for review. They can prescribe this too.

Although I've been trying to compile a list of doctors, since Topamax is being used for this without specific FDA approval, many doctors don't want to put their name down for that for a rightful fear of repercussions.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I do hope it helps.

Comment

didnt i hear you could have this shipped in from out of the country?

Comment

Christine,
        Campral is FDA approved for alcoholism.
        Forrest Labs, who manufactures this medication, has been doing a huge campaign to education physicians about Campral.
        They have heavily marketed Campral over the last year. So maybe you should consider asking for Campral instead of topa.
        If your doctor hasn't heard about Campral, then you might want to see a doctor who is more up to date on medications.
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Christine,
          My doctor would not give me Topamax either, so I now order if from the UK. You do not have to have a prescription for it if you order from this particular website. I am sure there are other websites, but I have used this one successfully for months. The only downside is the expense of it versus having insurance pay for it if you have a prescription. But it is well worth it and equates to what most of us were probably spending on alcohol anyway!

I feel confident you could get a prescription from your doctor for Campral because it is FDA approved, but it is also for complete abstinence. You have to totally abstain from any alcohol for at least five days prior to starting, and if you drink while taking it, it loses its effect. Just some things to think about. But if you really think you want to go to the Topamax route, then I would highly recommend ordering from this website.

Here is the web address:
          www.inhousepharmacy.com/uk

Hope this helps a little!
          Allie
          What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Allie, the reason they want you abs for a few days, and actually it's three days is due to, possible withdrawl symptoms. They want you out of the woods for detox, before you start the medication. I knew I wasn't going to have withdrawl symptoms, so I started Campral while I was drinking. I am not giving medical advise (don't come after me FDA is you are spying on us), but only saying what I did. Hope this helps someone.
            Meow-Meow
            MonaKitty

Comment

my 1st day here

Although I am not on Topomax at this time, my Dr. was more than happy to give it a try. She was curious as to see how it did work. She did say , though, that she would have to prescribe it to me as if I were having migraines. It did do it's job while I was on it, However I feel I went off to soon. I also have learned that if you are living with someone who...one day tells you you have a problem and then the next day...buys it for you...? I really need to take a good look at if the problem really is with alcohol

Comment

I feel sure if I can get it in NC, you can in Atlanta. However, there is NO WAY my primary care doc or any of the partners would have the chutzpah to prescribe Topa! My advice: seek out a psychopharmacologist...they have the knowledge needed. Go for it! I am just getting started, too.

Comment

Working...
                X