X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first drink -from an A hole

I just thought I'd call in again.
    I thought I was in control.
    I stopped drinking for a day, then 2, then 2 weeks.
    Then I thought I was in control of my brain., 1st time in 20 yrs.
    So I had a few one day, then a few more because I would stop on saturday.

Such an arrogant prick I was, that I gave advice to others never to take the 1st drink, and here I am at the first goalpost again.

I was so pleased with my own achievement until I took that first drink, then it was donwnhill again, my brain told me I was in control, it was just one night, then 2 , 3...

Now 2 weeks later, I feel the pressure in my head again, the aching bones and stomache and back cramps.

The saddest part about it is that I even felt well enough to give blood, which my or my family may need, but ... I guess I'll have to think it out again bum bum. ( sorry that last bit was from Oliver Twist) I'll sober up tomorrow, honest.

The Artful Dodger.

Yep, it's so easy to tell yourself "just one". But once you have that one, well, why not another, you've already blown it anyway.....been there, done that.

Sorry you're struggling so. Strength to you.
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

adi,

You have just learned a very important lesson, haven't you?
      There is no such thing as just one ot two.............

Glad you're back, you know what you need to do!!!
      Join us on the Newbies Nest thread, we'll help you along

Wishing you the best!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

That's the risk we all have..........ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH. For me, one is why bother?
        I know it won't do it, so I need to not even try it.

Get back on track, lesson learned and move on.

winefree

Comment

Adi - I relate well to your "arrogant prick" part (although I've never been called a prick, due to my gender! lol)... Where I give advice to others and feel all full of knowledge and wisdom, etc. Only to fall ingloriously... again & again!

And I've even done it on a quit smoking site - spewing my wise words to all! Now I'm back smoking...

WHEN will this vicious cycle end? I know that there must be a part of me that Doesn't want to quit (anything), and therein lies the problem.

In both our defenses, I think it's part of why these sites help. Sometimes we need to express our determination in writing... even if it means coming back with tail between legs.
          Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Well i have fell off the wagon before myself (or is it get on the wagon) ?
            Anyways just remember that its one day at a time .
            And just know your never to good to just have one because you'll lose evertime.
            But todays a new day fresh and clean yesterdays the past so start anew.
            Life Without Drinking Is Life Worth Living.

Comment

just don't feel embarrassed to jump right back on that wagon!
              i quit for four months and then was so ashamed of myself i kept drinking another 7 months or so.
              and i do the same thing... i fool myself into thinking it will be just one drink, one day, one week, one month.
              i want to feel again.
              i want to care again.
              and it is possible.
              just jump back on in a week you'll feel stronger.

Comment

Working...
              X