Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie would like to say Hi.

Hi Folks,:new:

I'm new here. I decided to join a group to see about reducing my drinking. I don't want to stop completely - I just want to reduce it to a more acceptable level.

I'm 53 years old, live in Switzerland, am a runner (marathons and ultramarathons - have a 260-km ultra in 100 hours coming up in March next year in Algeria, for example!!!), but have had a lot of psychological stress in the last few years, which has caused me to hit the wine bottle every night - I drink at least 750 ml to one litre of wine every night. I know it's not good for me. I have a partner of some 25 years standing, but we live in two adjacent apartments, so when I am alone in mine of an evening, the wine flows, and my partner knows nothing about it. I take a lot of (allegedly) natural supplements to compensate for the damage that that amount of alcohol can cause - I wonder if it works.

The reason I decided to search for a forum like this is, because two of my liver values have increased (only slightly) in the last year, and my blood calcium level is much higher than it should be. I told my doctor about my wine inclination, and he said it could be the reason, but the liver values which usually indicate an alcohol problem are actually perfect; it's the others which are (slightly) higher than the should be. He suggested I cut down on my intake (it's difficult, because I own a wine shop!!!! :devil and we'll test the values again after a while of less consumption; in the meantime, he has taken blood to test for Hyperparathyroidism (which would explain the calcium increase), and Hepatitis (which, he says, is hardly likely, because I have had the jabs against A and B, and exhibit no symptoms of C - but just to be sure). Whatever the reason or cause, I decided, it was time I did reduce my alcohol intake - but have just realised how difficult it is. I enjoy my wine, and don't want to stop drinking, but I want to control it, so that, for example, I only drink a maximum of (in the beginning, at least) 500 ml an evening, and then slowly reduce even further. Strangely enough, when I do multi-day ultramarathons, I have no problem at all with not having any alcohol - I don't even think about it.. I just know it would be far healthier for me to cut down radically.

I wonder if anyone else here has a similar situation, or has some advice I could consider. I haven't read any other postings, yet, but please, if I may ask, I don't want to be bombarded with religious stuff - I am an atheist, and will just ignore it (I accept everyone's right to believe in whatever he/she wishes - I am as I am, and don't want anyone to try to change that). Sorry, that I had to bring that up, but I just wanted to be clear right from the start.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who is interested.
    Regards,
    Ultrarunner

hi and welcome ultrarunner i am not in a similar situation as i am trying abstinence,but there is a very good moderating thread here that may help you .Also i would recommend to you to read as many as the posts/threads that you can,maybe over a glassed of chilled water :-)goodluck

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

mario;725594 wrote: hi and welcome ultrarunner i am not in a similar situation as i am trying abstinence,but there is a very good moderating thread here that may help you .Also i would recommend to you to read as many as the posts/threads that you can,maybe over a glassed of chilled water :-)goodluck
      Thanks, Mario. I appreciate that. I plan to do a lot of reading here, as soon as I have the time. I have a lot to learn. :thanks:

Comment

:welcome:

Ultrarunner,

There's another newbie/athlete on the site today, under the name okeroni1 who you may like to contact.

I'm another long term abstainer. But have a good look around the forum, get a feel for it. You'll soon see familiar names cropping up.

What surprised me was along with the heartbreak there's a lot of laughter.

Loads of advice from good kind warm people.

All the luck in the world.

Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi ultrarunner,

I'm impressed about the ultra marathon! When I was drinking it was as much as I could do to cycle to work :H

I'm an abstainer too but ditto what the others said about having a look at the mod threads to get some advice about how to get started.

Good luck with your goals (and with the training!).
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hello everyone. I am very new here and on my first AF day.

Comment

Welcome to all the newbies. Keep reading, posting, and especially asking questions. Nothings to outrageous or dumb - this is a support and learning site. Many (including me) have found so much help, support, friendship, and peace here. :welcome:
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hello Ultra and :welcome:
                Wow! I'm impressed with your running! That's so wonderful.
                There is a moderation thread here that may help you taper down. I, myself am trying to abstain completely as I've tried moderating but have been so fooled by alcohol.
                I wish you great success in your journey. You will get a lot of support here.
                When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

A big Welcome to you Ishmael!
                  This place is wonderful! You will find lots of support and friendship. Keep reading and post when you wish. We are all in this together at different levels.
                  Best to you.
                  When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                  -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

:colorwelcome::hello2::wave::groupluv:
                    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Thought that this would be as good a place as any to say 'Hello'. Just stumbled across this website when I searched for 'hypnotherapy to stop drinking', I'm reading as much as I can and will get the book as soon as...it all sounds very intriguing, I'm looking to moderate my drinking but we'll see how it all develops - I'm keeping an open mind.

Comment

Welcome Ultrarunner. Lots of ideas here. Keep posting and reading and I think you'll find some great tools to help.

Comment

Working...
                        X