What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do?

I'm at day 4 alcohol free and I'm having trouble keeping myself occupied during 'the witching hours'. Daytime is ok, I have work. Nightime is the problem. Those annoying hours between 5 & 11pm, when I usually just get blotto, have now become whopping big holes of spare time. I feel edgy and uncomfortable during this time. So far I've been immersing myself in movies & xbox games, but I can't do this every night, and neither feel particularly productive. I'm determined not to give in to my alcohol cravings. How do you spend your ex-drinking time? I need a few ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ~Qwerty

What to do?

good for you on your af days,but now that you have tried to stop drinking it is very easy to get bored so you need to put some plan into place.
    go for a walk
    take a bath
    do a bit of gardening
    clean your shoes
    make a phone call
    do something nice for someone
    have a plan for your day,dont just muddle through,you may not be able to carry it out but do your best.remember its normal and healthy to ask for help,a chat ,a phone call, log on here as there is always someone here..take it easy odaat.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

What to do?

:goodjob: qwerty on 4 days,

It's hard at first to keep both hands busy when you're used to doing everything one handed (the other hand holding the poison of your choice).

In the early days I logged on here and read and read and read. Played so many games of Free Cell I could now be a world champion.

After a week or so I was so energized I've cleaned neglected cupboards ( nobody can find anything now- but they're clean). Cooked meals I wouldn't have dreamt of.

Make a list of what you'd like to do. Then tick each item off.

But most of all be kind to yourself.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

What to do?

Hi Qwerty - congrats on day 4
        I think for the start of your AF days feel free to do whatever it is that keeps you from thinking about alcohol, these stressy times won't last forever and then you can enjoy the spare hours you do now have.
        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

What to do?

Hi Q!

I know the restless feeling! I began an exercise routine. I found a group to join (running, for me) and committed to it 3 evenings a week. If I don't show up they call me. They don't know WHY I'm doing this, they just think I want to train for a half marathon. I found them through an online organization called meetups.com or meetup.com. I think they are international. There are all kinds of groups out there! And for the most part they are free. Whatever your interest there is most like a group. Plus you get to meet a whole new group of people. I'm normally not one for that sort of thing, but when it came to forcing myself to find an alternate way to spend my time I knew it had to be something VERY different.

Good luck!

Comment

What to do?

well done I come on here and post or go to live chat, it's a great help cos people know how you are feeling, and game after game of scrabble on Facebook help too, good luck, you'll get there.
            Twitch

Comment

What to do?

Hi Qwerty,

Congrats on 4 days AF, that's terrific!

Look in the Toolbox for great ideas to keep you busy during the evening hours. It's located in the Monthly Abstinence section.

Keep up the great work
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

What to do?

Try cooking. If you are not a good cook, that makes it more fun. Do not follow recipes, make it up! I tried to make meatballs the other day which resembled a meat pie...not even the consistance of a meatloaf. I thought for sure nobody would eat it. We had company over and they LOVED it...I just pretended I planned it that way. "Cookin' with Colbe".
                Great job on day 4, in the next couple of days, you will feel a huge difference, promise!
                Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

What to do?

Hi Qwerty. It's good to have you here.
                  I come on here during those hard evening times and read and post and go into chat. I find that the time passes really quickly. I also go to sleep earlier! All the nights I've stayed up way too late getting plastered have made my body so tired. Go to the Toolbox to get more ideas. You can do it. The first 4 or 5 days are the hardest. Good luck to you and welcome aboard!
                  When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                  -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

What to do?

Thanks for the support. Day 5 alcohol free now. I really tried to analyze how I was feeling tonight. I was sitting around after work, trying to amuse myself, and was having major trouble concentrating. I couldn't watch tv or read without my mind wandering. I felt fidgety and restless. I think I'm just really uncomfortable with being alone and sober and having time to spare.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions. I think i'll start going for a walk or a run at night to work off some of this excess energy. Colbe, your cooking sounds hilarious, but i'm the type of guy who can screw up even the most basic of meals, like toast. That toolbox thread was a great help, thanks. I'm hoping these stressy times will subside to a point where I can concentrate enough to work on my writing (which is a whole other struggle that I won't go into here). In the mean time I will soldier on.
                    ~Qwerty

Ps: Mornings have become my favourite part of the day. I'm loving waking up sober. The last two mornings, wow! I haven't felt so alive in a long time.

Comment

What to do?

You have runners?? Use them!
                      I went for a run in the cold, windy rain tonight.... is it was great! No sweating. I love running in the evenings - keeps me occupied - for a while at least . If your stress time is early evening - you're in luck - things are still happening out there. Join a running club or something - anything. Keep busy - keep moving.
                      Need some recipes?????

Comment

What to do?

Hi Qwerty,

I think like others have said, in the early days of being AF give yourself 'permission' to do whatever you need to to be AF. You will probably find that as time goes on your feelings and energy levels will change, and you fall into a more natural rhythm. For me my 'thing' became Yoga classes, a bit of a cliche I know, but just getting to a class and being in a room with other people helped a lot. Its funny though because I did stop cooking for a while as I've always cooked with a glass of wine on the go, don't think about it now though.

Take care and Good Luck.

Bets
                        Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

What to do?

At first it was hard to imagine what I would fill my time with when I first started stringing along AF days. Now, I have a ritual after work- get the mail, give the cats treats, cook dinner, talk to family and friends on the phone, read a book, if nice out take a walk, and watch TV. Whew, and remember all of it the next day!! I am planning on starting a yoga class after work in the next few weeks too. One thing I really appreciate is my time off now, because when I drank, I started right after work and would often not remember my evenings. My life felt like work, work, work. Now, I have long, leisurely evenings and they are wonderful. Change was hard for me and it took time.
                          Redhibiscus

Comment

What to do?

Nice one Sheri. Thank's.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

What to do?

Qwerty -

I think you have some good suggestions already. I just wanted to chime in and say how much I appreciated your "p.s." that mornings are now your favorite time of day - waking up sober! That is so very, very true for me too!
                              ODAT!

Comment

Working...
                              X