Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withdrawal - is this normal? :(

Hello!

I've been AF for over 2 weeks now and suffered from headaches/nausea in the 1st week.

Thought I'd got over it for a few days but now the headaches are back with a vengeance Start as soon as I get up and painkillers are having little effect.

My back is also aching and my kidneys feel a bit dodgy.

I've been drinking plenty of water and eating really healthy food etc. but I'm starting to get a bit disheartened (not enough to have a drink though ... I'm just worrying about it and it's unpleasant to boot.

Is this normal? How long does it take to get rid of this feeling? Please tell me your experiences and reassure me

Sorry to cut and run but my head is pounding so I'm off to bed.

Hope everyone has had a good day and :thanks: in advance.

Trix XXXX

Withdrawal - is this normal?

WitchyTrix,

:welcome: and :goodjob: on the AF time. Yay!!

The last time I actually had to detox, not just come off a one or two day binge, I had the same experience.

I thought my kidneys were gone for good and that lasted more than a couple of weeks. My back ached up high on my right side (kidney), my abdomen in the area of my right rib cage (liver) and my head pounded.

This lasted a long time for me. I believe almost three weeks.

Keep eating well, staying hydrated and one day you will wake up and the pains will be diminished, the head will be clearer and no pounding and you will be through it.

Oh, and insure your pain meds do not contain acetometaphin (tylenol) because that can cause even more serious liver damage.

Good luck and stick with it. It does get better.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi WitchyTrix,

Well, you're ahead of me, so I'm interested in what others say might be coming our way! I did have headaches around days 4-5.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Comment

hi & :welcome: witchytrix and finding myself,you will get great advice here and support,read a lot of the threads/posts as i found that helped.There are numerous threads here re withdrawals just put it into search :good job:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi! yep it's normal! I always used to think of it as your body is getting you back after all the abuse you've put it through! You're doing everything right! Drinking will just cause you to go through all the symtoms again! You're doing great! Have you tried those headache cold patches. You put them on your forehead! That with painkillers really used to help me. Stick in there, it'll get better. It's your body detoxing and correcting itself!!
          Well done you!

Comment

Thank you Cinders That's reassuring (in a strange sort of way!!) My face is also like a still sundried tomato as well so I expect the same rule applies. I think I'm expecting too much too soon!

FMS: Happy to compare symptoms any time! I suppose the longer/harder you've been drinking the more time it takes to recover .& I've been drinking a LOOONG time .. I was just having a wobbly moment last night and couldn't think logically.

I used to do medical research a long time ago and tend to convince myself I've got every disease under the sun.I even had a grumbling prostate once and I'm a GIIIIIIIIRRRRRL!!!!!

Thanks Mario I think I've read just about every thread on this board !!!! All good stuff and great advice. Love it here and hope to be in the position to give advice to other newbies when I'm well and truly out of the woods.

Trix XXXXX

Comment

Oh and Hi Lil! We cross posted - will try the patches if I can get hold of some, also going for an aromatherapy massage today which should help. I knew about all the symptoms of wothdrawal, it's just that they're lasting such a long time this time (did this once before and failed ... obviously) Thanks for the reply X

Comment

hI Witchytrix, sounds like withdrawal symptoms, they can last for sometime. Painkillers can also cause headaches, sound odd but if we take painkillers regularly they can actually cause headaches. The patches are a good idea aromatherapy highly recommended.

Comment

Hey Witchy,

:goodjob: on 2 weeks.

I'm afraid it's part of withdrawal but it'll soon pass. Plenty of fluids and plenty of rest.

Nothing to do with AL but I have a good friend (she's a 'normal' drinker) and when she gave up caffeine for 2 weeks she said she'd never experienced headaches like anything she'd had before.

You're doing great.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                  X