Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get started

:new:

My DH and I have committed to reducing our alcohol intake. Again.
    We ordered the starter package of supplements and original set of CDs on 10/9 so I'm waiting for them to arrive.
    When I first downloaded the book, almost a year ago, we started using kudzu, evening primrose oil, B-50 and Calms (not Forte) but not the other. Eventually we found ourselves taking the kudzu etc. AND drinking so that didn't work.
    We've gone back and forth on "OK we really need to do something" and "Forget it, life is too stressful to deal with THIS right now."
    After my last hep panel came back funky, I figured it didn't take a genius to know it was time.

I'm choosing moderation because thoughts like "I can NEVER have a social drink again" are too overwhelming and make me want to drink.

We are both day 2 AF and find ourselves irritable and having TREMENDOUS headaches.
    I'm wondering if it's better to wait until we have the supplements to support us, both physically and mentally....but getting to day 2 and turning around seems like cutting off momentum. In the past, it seems that it's been all or nothing with drinking. I'm hoping that's not the case long term...
    :h:h
    AF since 4/21/2010

Trying to get started

Good Job Curious!

:welcome: I wouldn't turn back now after 2 days!
    Are you drinking plenty of h20?? This is just my opinion......and I'm not one to talk because I'm on day 2 and seriously ready for a glass of wine as I sit here and type. I even put a bottle in the fridge just 30 minutes ago.
    Since you joined a year ago and are now back.......stay and give it a chance. I've learned and grown alot since I joined 3 weeks ago and have truly enjoyed the company.
    If you have your hubbie at your side (which I don't) it should be such a boost.....
    Hang in there!!

Comment

Trying to get started

Hi Curious
      Another day 2 er here, but not doing so well, I think its wonderful that you have your DH with you in this. Mine is totally not "getting it", he doesn't have a problem leaving it alone so I guess its hard for him to understand alcoholism.
      ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUCCESS
      P
      Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Trying to get started

It is helpful to have him doing it with me. We are strongest together---unfortunately that same aspect of our relationship also allows us to enable each other when we're both weak.
        I'm a little worried how our relationship will fair through all the irritability...maybe we should do this one at a time, especially since we have kids to deal with on top of everything!

Thanks for the encouragement---I feel mentally stronger after just two days.
        I sure don't miss the mornings of regret and feelings of failure, so that alone will keep me going and just taking one day at a time.
        AF since 4/21/2010

Comment

Trying to get started

How wonderful that you and your DH are doing this together!! It's so important to have support and understanding on this journey.
          Vitamin C (1000mg's) can help with withdrawals.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Trying to get started

No, you've got 2 day under you belt that's fine. You need to let your body detox which is they cause of the headaches and things. You're doing so well. Don't listen to that voice that's saying, we'll wait until the stuff comes, a few day will not hurt... These voices will continue when you're on the tablets too. You need to be aware of them, aware that it IS your addiction talking and you need to learn how to ignore it. That is very hard as they can be soo loud and it's so easy to give in. Stay strong, be there for each other!!!!
            Good luck!

Comment

Trying to get started

:welcome:

Curious,

:goodjob: on 2days.

Tired,grumpy,irritable,headaches (sounds like the beginning of an advert )

It's all quite normal in the early days. It's a sign that you're body is healing itself. It will soon pass the more alcohol free days you get.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Stay close and please let us know how you're getting on.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Trying to get started

Hi Curious and :welcome:
                My headaches lasted about 5 days and the irritability a little longer but they do pass.
                2 days is wonderful and it's great you and you DH are in this together.
                Just take things slowly and check out the ODAT (one day at a time) thread here on Just Startin Out. The Newbies Nest is a good place to start also. The best to you! Keep up the fantastic work and do not give in to AL...he's a tricky beast!
                When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Trying to get started

Thanks all! We're hangin in there!
                  I will definitely try some or all of the suggestions you gave.
                  AF since 4/21/2010

Comment

Trying to get started

Just thought of something that a friend of ours who is recovering but AF, told us about a friend of his that really gave me pause to look around my own house:
                    "If your house is drunk, chances are you are too"
                    Maybe I'll take some of this time I suddenly have now that I don't need 3 hours to pull myself together every morning and apply that to getting my house sober as well!! Sad to say that it may be harder than my OWN AF journey. ha ha
                    OH THE CLUTTER!
                    AF since 4/21/2010

Comment

Trying to get started

Welcome Curious,

I know what you mean about having a "drunk house" :H. I just mentioned on another thread that my house is starting to feel more like a home now that I've started to take better care of me and it!

It's great that you and your husband are working on this together! Two plans are better than one.

Good luck and just keep putting one sober foot in front of the other. You will get to a better place.

Comment

Trying to get started

Oooooh....it's Friday night. Having a hard time for the first time all week.
                        My intention is to be able to enjoy a drink now and then, but I know it's too soon....but man I would love to enjoy a glass or 5 like I have for the last ?? Fridays.

I also have a significant social event coming up next weekend that I don't think I can/want to get through AF so I'm worried what that will look like and what will happen afterwards.

My supplements and CDs have still not arrived. Does anyone else use the hypnosis CDs? I'm holding out a lot of hope for their ability to help me.

Ohhhhhh.......good thing there's no chardonnay in the house......
                        AF since 4/21/2010

Comment

Working...
                        X