Can't Get Drunk Can't Get Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As way of introduction I think the above is as close as I can get.

I drink about two bottles of wine every evening often a little more, rarely a little less, very occasionally I might drink before 4pm but not often. Just about the only effect this doesn't have is to get me drunk, well not in the normal sense - but then drinking around 150 units a week isn't normal. I don't get hangovers, I don't think I ever really sober up enough.

I used to smoke 30 a day and I gave that up, after a thousand previous attempts, using Champix, which had little or no effect on my drinking. However this makes me suspect my addiction is neurologically based so I'm going to go down the Baclofen route.

My aim is to moderate down to the recommended limit.

Catch up later...

S.

:welcome:Hi Spectra

I'm in the UK too. Lots of wine drinkers on this site. You are not alone!
    If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

Hi Spectra, same story here, but at least you gave up the nicotine!
      "Everywhere is in walking distance....if you have the time."

Comment

Sounds like your in the Twilight Zone..........You've given up the smokes....that's good. Let's take care of the booze! Many here can help...have you tried the MWO Herbal and Vitamin way. Give it a shot.....keep the Doc out until you have too ! Lots of Luck ! IAD.
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi Spectra,

Welcome to MWO! This is a good place, lots of information & support here

Have you read the MWO book yet? You can download it right here from the Health Store.
          It is recommended that you get at least 30 alcohol free (AF) days in before attempting to moderate drinking. Have you made any attempts to quit on your own? I'm not sure why you think you need Baclofen. After you read the book you need to make a plan for yourself. Look in the Tool box (located in the Monthly Abstinence section) for good ideas for your plan.

Wishing you much success!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Spectra;736541 wrote: As way of introduction I think the above is as close as I can get.

I drink about two bottles of wine every evening often a little more, rarely a little less, very occasionally I might drink before 4pm but not often. Just about the only effect this doesn't have is to get me drunk, well not in the normal sense - but then drinking around 150 units a week isn't normal. I don't get hangovers, I don't think I ever really sober up enough.

I used to smoke 30 a day and I gave that up, after a thousand previous attempts, using Champix, which had little or no effect on my drinking. However this makes me suspect my addiction is neurologically based so I'm going to go down the Baclofen route.

My aim is to moderate down to the recommended limit.

Catch up later...

S.
            hi Spectra,
            i'm somehow on the same level, 1 bottel of red wine and "some" beer, been sober for 7 years and now just going down the staircase for two years, but i never give up smoking, 40 a day....ok i smoke them half :H

where you have a problem, to look into baclofen?
            regards
            German Forum on Baclofen and Alcohol http://www.baclofen-forum.com/
            my alcohol baclofen statistic
            http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/fets/

Comment

Thanks for the support.

Lavande, I'm going to do the vitamins (already started) as well as the Baclofen. The reason for the Baclofen is that the Champix worked well for me with nicotine, I believe my brain is wired to make it susceptible to certain neurotransmitters, I'm not sure what, why or how, but that after trying every method known to give up smoking the Champix worked.

Fets, it's funny you use the staircase analogy, I've thought that a lot recently. My addiction is like a series of steps, I'm stable at a particular level for a while, maybe a month maybe a year trying to step back but always getting closer to the edge, then something will trigger actually stepping down once more. I'll feel crap for a while but my body soon ramps up it's tolerance and the cycle starts again.

I know deep inside I have to stop this, I can feel the damage it's doing to me and to my life in general.

Since finding this site and reading everything I can, I'm really genuinely excited (and scared stiff!), if I can return to moderation over Christmas I'll be really chuffed.

Thanks again

S.

Comment

Working...
              X