My First Day, Please can you help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I stumbled upon this site in my search for a way to kick the addiction I have to wine. I have spent the best part of my adult life enjoying alchohol, but now in my senior years I am very concerned and aware that I do not want this to be the reason for an early death and I really do want to spend a few extra years with my wonderful granddchildren.

I retired last year and have always overdulged when we have gone out drinking and been the one who often ''has had one to many''. I have never drank on a daily basis, but certainly, to my mind I have overindulged and sometimes to a great degree.

My reason for deciding to abstain at this time is that I feel the urge to drink is taking over my life. I cannot afford it now I am on a pension and would feel so much better without alchohol, this I am certain of.

I would be so very proud of myself if, initially, I could go for a whole week without wine, and this week will be particularly hard as I have 2 dinner dates on Tuesday and Wednesday. I am hoping that with your support I can make a start. Please will you help me? :thanks:
    :beach:

Hi Gloria and a huge welcome to you!
    Well done on recognizing the need for a bit of a change, thats often a very hard thing to do.
    Have you read the book My Way Out?
    That might give you some ideas to get going with.
    They recommend supplements, cds and meds if necessary.
    I used the supplements lglutamine and kudzu to help with my cravings and they worked a treat.
    Plus the support here is second to none, I dont think I would have got sober without it.
    Best Wishes Gloria.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Gloria
      Yes, of course we will help you! I came to the same conclusion as you and wanted to stop drinking wine during the week and cut out the binging. It's mostly worked - there have been some slips but I'm evolving and improving every day. I consciously made the decision to make the change and I have done what I can to stick to it. I credit this site and these wonderful people here for helping me keep close to my goals. I've been boozing for 28 years so it's been a bit of a major shift in thinking for me.

Downloading and reading the book is a great place to start to get some direction, but you should feel free to come back to the site any time you need support - sometimes just reading other people's posts are enough but post if you feel the need.

And just take it one step at a time.
      It's nice to meet you.
      I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Hello Gloria, just wanted to welcome you. Good advice from these two and we're all here to help.

:welcome:

Comment

hi gloria a big :welcome: to mow,you will get great support and non judgemental advice here :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hello Gloria and welcome along, of course we will help. Well done on finding us here and making a life changing decision for the better. I would echo Startys advice about starting with the book. You should also have a read around the different threads, we have people from all over the world and there is a huge amount of support here.
            Keep safe
            KTAB
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi Gloria and welcome to MWO!

I found my biggest problem when I gave up drinking was keeping things simple and remaining focused on the day ahead. I was always projecting too far ahead and it caused me a lot of stress and anxiety because of it.

I suffer with addiction too and to me that means any mind or mood altering substance can easily lead me back into a life of degradation. I've tried most, but alcohol was really my substance of choice because it was so readily available.

I would ask yourself too how important are these dinner dates to you at this early stage in trying to remain abstinent?

Love and Light
              Phil
              xx
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Gloria - I was just thinking about the dinner dates and trying to get through them AF - which can be pretty hard if there is wine flowing from all corners. If you have to go and are really determined to get through AF, first make yourself a promise not to drink that night - and stick with it with every bit of will-power you have. Then, make sure you have something non-alcoholic available to drink - I opt for lemon/lime/bitters but you might have something else you prefer.

If you get through the first night clean, whatever you do, DON'T give yourself permission to have a drink that next dinner date for being so good the first night cos i promise, it will all unravel. Instead, challenge yourself to do it again. The feeling you will have when you leave to go home is unbelievable, I promise. Just take baby steps.
                I'm not a flip flop - I'm a Jandal!:undercover:

Comment

Hi Gloria.

Good advice you've received already so just wanted to say :welcome:.

Stay close have a good read around the posts.

Wishing you luck on your journey.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Gloria,
                    Welcome. I have been drinking for over 30 years and found that my best chance for successfully staying AF is to have a plan. Get the MWO book and start the process. There are so many ways to do this, and so many ways to be successful and unfortunately so many ways to fail.

Read the posts and continue asking for support. You will get it here. The support here has helped me be accountable and make the changes I want to make in my life. I will continue to make changes, as it is a process and so helpful to read about others journeys on this AF life changing decision. Usually, we come here because we are tired and disgusted with drinking and it is not serving us well. At all. Not physically, emotionally, spiritually or mentally. You can do this. Take care.
                    Redhibiscus

Comment

Gloria,

Welcome :welcome: As you can see from the above post, you have found a very caring and supportive site.

There is also a 'toolbox' thread that can help you learn how to deal with the cravings. It really helped me through those first few af weeks. It's the first thread in the monthly abtsience section.

Stay close, read, post and don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck!
                      AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

:welcome:

Hi Gloria,

Its never too late to change, and believe me, your grandchilden will notice the change in you when you are alcohol free----

Stay close and keep posting. Re the 2 dinner parties, be prepared. Nobody really cares whether you do or don't drink AL, but they will ask, so have your answer rehearsed-eg. medication your on, weight loss, designated driver---anything will do, really.

All the best and wishing you success!

Comment

Hi Gloria,

Welcome to MWO, you have found a good place!
                          There are lots of us here near your age & we understand the importance of quitting now. You can do it too

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread. You will find lots of help & comfort there.
                          Wishing you the best!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Gloria
                            Welcome to this site. It's a wonderful, non judgmental place to come to for support.
                            I am also retired and living on a pension. No 'extra' money for wine! Since I haven't been buying it for awhile, I've saved quite a bit of money!! The other upside of course, is being sober, energetic and feeling so much better about yourself. I'm looking forward to grandchildren and do not want to be a drunk grandma. Stick around here, you will find tons of help. Also, you may want to check out the ODAT (one day at a time) thread on Just Starting Out and also the Newbies Nest. I wish you all the success in the world on your journey to sobriety.
                            When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                            -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Hi Gloria and welcome. I think everyone has pretty much covered it so I just wanted to say hello and offer my support to you in your journey.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X