nearly double figures!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nearly double figures!!

good evening everyone .... tomorrow i reach double figures AF for only about the third or forth time in 30+ years ... so feel quite good ..... get paid friday and then a weeks holiday .... going to be a testing time ..... thinking of going back to AA ... they keep ringing me which is great ... while i dont get the higher power stuff it is still support and after all i am an alcoholic ...... just dont know if the constant stuff about "are you doing the programme" will be counter productive to my progress????? it has been in the past ... i just dont know ..... been a windy rainy day here in england ...... winter is coming! take care everyone and thanks for being there ..... pompeyman ...... x:illbeback:
    I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

nearly double figures!!

Hi there Pompeyman,
    That is superb!!! Its a good idea to put some strategies in place for your week off, sometimes holiday time is too big a temptation early on. Keep yourself busy reminding yourself why you are doing this, and all the things you will gain from being sober. If you think AA will help, then use it. Only you can tell what works for you.
    We are coming down to your neck of the woods on Saturday to see the HMS Victory, should be a brilliant day :-)
    WELL DONE ON 10 DAYS!!!!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Hi,
      That is awesome. Maybe you should make some plans for Holiday before it arrives so you won't have that "down" time when I believe, most of us are tempted. If it is AA for the time being, push ahead. You don't have to accept every principal of every program. I am sure most people here don't do everything outlined in the book. Do it your way, and keep up the good work!
      AF since 2/4/10
      Nicotine free since 3/31/10
      FINALLY FREE

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Congrats on the almost 10 days! Definitely make a plan for the holidays as others have said.

In AA, you can take a higher power to mean anything you want it to mean that helps you. Some people consider their power to be their home group, others see it as their "better" self within. I think it is important to figure out what you would consider your higher power if you want to do AA.

MWO is great too. It took me a while to get sober here; and I've never been the AA type. But I did get sober with all of the support of my friends here. Keep on posting, and you will have your own circle of friends in a bit.

Take care of yourself....
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Congrats Pompeyman on your 10 AF days
          It's a great feeling, isn't it?
          Keep going, you will be amazed at the results!

Wishing you continued success!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Well done Pompeyman, I go to AA, and don't agree with everything they tell us, so just do what suits you, but don't drink. Have a good holiday.

Comment

nearly double figures!!

thanks everyone ...... have got a huge list of activities for the half term ...... wil set a task for myself to tick off as many as possible ....... ta for the advice .... have a good day x
              I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Good work Pompeyman
                It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Well done pompyman Enjoy ur week off and keep busy. :goodjob:

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Well done pompeyman,

I started over this past Monday and I am now 3 days AF. The weekend wasn't so bad for me, just caught myself going down that slope again. It made my week easier this week not waking up Monday terrified that i couldn't get through work. Just headaches and trouble sleeping. No shakes this week. I am mentally feeling better to the point that I am not nervous going out and being around people without alcohol. I can understand about mid semesters. I have exams this week and I am happy I am finding other things to do to keep myself busy besides drinking.

Hope to hear from you again soon Pompeyman

Irishman78

Comment

nearly double figures!!

thanks to everyone for the support and advice ...... weird but am feeling a bit emotional/ratty today but have been quite steady during first few days of AF ..... maybe something to do with the planned tapering off as opposed to my normal attempts at cold turkey and severe WD effects .... don't know .... don't feel "right " though .... dont feel like drinking but its cause i cant (no money) I am worried about friday ..... pay day ..... i will plan the day by the 1/2 hour ending up at AA ... live alone ... separated from my 2 kids and I know that as soon as i can get it all the cravings will return ..... what a ridiculous disease ...... all the knowledge and experience of it in the world and it is still there on your shoulder ......... hey keep going everyone this is a great site .... whatever the next few days bring i will keep reading posts ..... take care ...... pompeyman

Comment

nearly double figures!!

hi there Pompeyman, early sobriety will bring a whole range of emotions. It passes though and you can get through it.
                        You have a good plan in place for Friday, so keep that fresh in your mind, along with the reasons you want to quit.
                        Stay close to the site knowing we arent alone is a great comfort.
                        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Hi Pompeyman! Congratulations on your 10 Days AF. Don't give in now!! You are doing well by making a plan for payday. I like your half hour increments idea.

I agree with all that has been said about AA - if it helps you going to meetings, even if you don't buy all if it, GO FOR IT. I go to AA and a big part of what helps me is just being around other alcoholics who completely understand this type of nutty, but very real for us, stuff:

what a ridiculous disease ...... all the knowledge and experience of it in the world and it is still there on your shoulder
                          I struggled with the higher power thing too. This is what one man had to say about it that really helped me a lot. Just sharing in case it rings a bell with you. (and no harm, no foul if it doesn't!)

This is him talking...

"When I first came here alcohol was my god. You people told me "you better change your god dummy, or you're gonna die!" So I changed my god to the G. O. D. Good Old Drunks around the table who showed me how to stay sober one day at a time."

I wish I had an audio of exactly how he says this. What was so powerful to me is that I was focusing on the wrong issue. Instead of worrying about who is God and is there God and all of that stuff, I needed to stay focused on stopping my "worship" of alcohol, which indeed would have killed me if I kept at it, and WILL kill me if I ever go back to it. That is what I believe is my truth, anyway.

OK - enough babble! The important thing is to stay sober. Whatever works to help you do that is the "right" way!!!

:yougo: Congrats again on 10 Days!! YOU CAN DO THIS!

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

nearly double figures!!

Good job, pompeyman. Hope you are continuing to do well!
                            Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Working...
                            X