How do I reninvent myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been a binge drinker for over a decade now. My husband loves to drink everynight. I didnt drink before I met him, now I find it hard to moderate. I like the feeling of sharing a drink with him, but find it hard to stop at 2 glasses. Between 4pm-6pm are the killer hours for me, and need to reinvent myself to fill in that time, and become a different person. Its scary.

Welcome Oasis11lg. You might try downloading the MWO book, reading lots of posts, and getting an idea of what you want to do. This is a great community for support, no matter what you decide is best for you. My hard time or witching hours, are between 4 and 7 p.m. If I can just get to 7:00, eat dinner, then I am home free. It takes desire, planning, and work. It is scary to lose control and feel out of control. Powerlessness. Take care and again, welcome.
    Redhibiscus

Comment

Congratulations for taking the first step! This is a friendly place full of support and wisdom so stick around! Glad you are here...

Comment

What a great thread. Reinventing ourselves...that is key isn't it? I, too, have a very hard time between 4 and 7pm.

I would love to hear ideas of how MWOers have gotten through their "craving hours."

Peace
        This is the Day that the Lord Has Made, Let Us Rejoice and Be Glad! Psalm 118

Comment

My craving hours are also 4-6 p.m.. I am on day 6 AF and feel great. When I was drinking, I would not eat a meal because it would spoil the "drunk". I would only nibble on appetizers at a bar or such. I knew that if I ate a meal, I was done drinking for the day. Hence, I ate a lot of meals at 8-9 p.m .. The logic of the alcoholic I guess.

Anyway, I now will have a meal at 5-6 and all is well for the remainder of the day. No cravings after eating.

My 2 cents. Whatever you need to do is what you need to do to beat the demon.

Com
          Com1

Comment

I don't care for that word 'reinvent' too much. For me that seems like I'm trying to escape or hide from who I really am. For me the key was learning to accept who I am and have an awareness to know when my addictive brain is trying to lead me back into the gutter. It's during those times that I need to be in contact with other addicts or alcoholics. I need to get 'outside' of myself sometimes and not get caught up in my negative thoughts. Just a change of scenery can do the job, like going for a long walk somewhere that lifts my spirit. Doing some breathing exercises can help too. Anything really just as long as I don't let those thoughts take over me to the point that I am obsessing again about a drink. Maybe during those craving hours (which will only be habitual and mental cravings) try and do something YOU enjoy doing that will take you out of yourself for a while and take you away from your own thought process. Get lost in a good book, play a game with the kids (if you have any!), play Wii sports!! Just do something other than wallow in the thoughts that you are deprived of a drink. It WILL get easier the more you do this.

Love and Light
            Phil
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi Oasis,

Welcome to MWO, this is a great place!
              After reading the MWO book, take a look in the Tool box (located in the Monthly Abstinence section) for good ideas to help you make your plan.
              There are lots of ways to distract yourself between 4 & 6 PM to avoid drinking. Keep busy, cook dinner, take a walk, have lots of teas & fruit juices on hand, etc.
              Ask your husband to share a non-alcoholic drink. You can sit & chat without alcohol in your glasses.

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread, lots of folks there just starting out as well.

Wishing you the best!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oasis, I admire anyone who can quit drinking (or smoking!) when spouse is doing it... Quite honestly, I don't think I could do it!!

Lav suggested that he go AF with you (or at least in your presence). If he is willing, that really would be helpful. But I'm sure it's hard to ask someone who Doesn't have a problem and can enjoy a glass of wine or two... to stop doing what they like!

On the other hand, if he's Really unwilling to stop, maybe he needs to look at his own drinking. Even if he doesn't get drunk, I guess it still could be a problem if you "can't" do without...?

Good luck!
                Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Hey thanks com1, i can really indentify with the not mixing the eating and drinking. once i have a main meal i cant drink at all. My family have hated me not sitting at the dinner table with them, over the years and sharing the meal. When I look back at it I tear up, as all the kids have left home now, and I feel guilty not being there for them around the dinner table. Alcohol has robbed me of a lot of stuff, money, brain cells ha, my figure, being a good role model to my children. No the struggle I have is trying to moderate or just shaft it all together. I just want balance in my life. I am trying the tighrope again this week

Comment

Working...
                  X