Quitting AL and Cigarettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I am new (Today) and am in the predicament of drinking to smoke cigarettes and then smoking and drinking. I then go totally overboard over a bottle of wine plus nearly a pack. I think that I have a very addictive personality and I'm an all or nothing person. I think I need to be abstinent. How do I go about it? I am tired of waking up hungover from a binge and not being in control of my life!:new:

Hi Manly - take a big deep breath because all of us felt like you at some stage and that's what brought us here. So - welcome.

I'd suggest you read as many posts as you can absorb and maybe consider downloading the MWO book. You could then make a decision as to how best address your issues. Some people here are going the whole nine yards with medication, hypnotherapy tapes, supplements, exercise - others are tweaking things to their own needs. Others are doing none of the above and just using this Forum as a support base.

Admitting you're tired of waking up hungover is a good start.

Hope to see you around.

Comment

You're in the right place

I'm new to the boards too...only been here a week...but Tawny's spot on...browse & lurk a little. Post again when you're ready...lots of support here!

I am doing the whole 9 yards to get the AL under control. The book has RJ's amazing journey...so glad she shared! It's available for immediate PDF download....I managed to read it in less than a day. I quit smoking years ago using hypnosis, so I have every confidence the combo of meds & supplements, hypnotherapy, diet & exercise will work for me.

:welcome:

Rejuve

Comment

Hi Manly,

Boy, I was in your shoes last February!!! Tired of being hungover day after day, ugh! I joined MWO, it took until March 26 but I whipped up the nerve to go AF & have been a happy girl ever since
        I quit smoking in May & have to say that I feel better than ever!!

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread for loads of support on your journey.

Wishing you the best!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Manly--

I started on this journey because I wanted to quit smoking once and for all. I only smoked when I drank, and only drank when I smoked. It soon became apparent that I need to quit both in order to make it work. And it has for over a year now.

You won't miss the hangovers, trust me!

:welcome:
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi Manly - Welcome! :hallo:

I am glad you decided to join us! I am only on day 3, but I already feel so much better! Just keep posting and let us know who things are going! Good luck on your journey!
            AF Since Sept. 20, 2010!!!

Comment

Many thanks for the posts guys (and gals). Day three and I am happy. I can so relate to LVT25. I only smoked when I drank and I only drank when I smoked. Notice I used the past tense?? I think the biggest issue was that I had to recognise that I had a problem and it simply was not just being a normal Aussie. I recognise that I don't like who I am when I'm drinking. Especially the next morning. I am trying to do some deep breathing exercises but what are the meds that I have been reading about and can you get them in Australia? I have some very big functions coming up and it will be a struggle but I know with the support of my newbies I can make it through them. It will be strange for people to see me out and about sober...

Comment

Hi Manly. Just wanted to say :welcome: from another happy ex-smoker and ex-drinker! I can really relate to the horrid hangovers and self loathing. I'm glad those days are behind me.

When I first started out here I used the supplements as recommended in the book and also the hypnotherapy CD's. I strongly recommend them. I also followed the diet and exercise recommendations. The only thing I didn't follow was the prescription med option. I have since tweaked things around to be optimal for me, but it was all based on the foundation that RJ laid out.

L-Glutamine in powder form directly under the tongue can be a life save if you HAVE to endure social functions and have strong cravings. I really tried to avoid those when I first got sober - why tempt fate?

I can say this - my sobriety is precious to me and it's my #1 priority each and every day. The rest of life keeps getting better and better as a result.

Strength and hope to you!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

MANLYBEACH;750763 wrote: Many thanks for the posts guys (and gals). Day three and I am happy. I can so relate to LVT25. I only smoked when I drank and I only drank when I smoked. Notice I used the past tense?? I think the biggest issue was that I had to recognise that I had a problem and it simply was not just being a normal Aussie. I recognise that I don't like who I am when I'm drinking. Especially the next morning. I am trying to do some deep breathing exercises but what are the meds that I have been reading about and can you get them in Australia? I have some very big functions coming up and it will be a struggle but I know with the support of my newbies I can make it through them. It will be strange for people to see me out and about sober...
                  :welcome::goodjob:
                  You can read about Topamax & Baclofen in the book...more info here in the forums.
                  Try Googling EasyMD...I can't say for sure that they ship to Austrailia...you also might try posting the question on the Drug forum. My Hubby & I started the Topamax today & I am duly impressed, but we are doing it under our PCP's care...luckily she is being very supportive.

Rejuve

Comment

Hi Manley - I SOMEHOW quit both drinking & smoking for more than a month a few months ago... and can't seem to get there now (after that "just one cig!")...

I think what I've decided is to quit drinking for a while (even a few days) and then jump back on the quitting smoking thing.

I keep trying to figure out what motivated me before! At least that showed me it really IS possible for me to do.

Please post if you find some Magic Key!! (I NEED ONE!!)
                    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                    X