Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons Not To Drink/Davie's Days

Hi Davie,
    Do you know if it's being televised in England. Because Mr JC and S&H (son and heir) will want to watch.

My plans involve a lot of sleeping and eating chocolate.

J x
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Davie and Jackie,
      Good #7, I'm not very loud but I can be very talkative and socially outgoing even with no AL. I read before that people with outgoing personalities can develope more AL problems. I don't know if that is true. Maybe because at first it brings out more of those traits that you like about yourself.
      If that is a soccer (football) game your going to I am so jealous. My 3 children played and they were fabulous at it. I love the sport and usa does not brodcast the game very well. We are so far behind here. My dream is to go to europe during all the games and watch with the locals. where everyone loves the game! Oh well I better stop I could talk forever about soccer.
      Day 5 AF onto day6!
      Good night, MM

Comment

Jackie,
        I know Sky can't show it. But you could hook to RT? Ireland's National Television and Radio Broadcaster who should have a live feed.

Can I ask for some advice or your thoughts please. I have started to read the MWO book and cannot connect to it at all. The stories seem to deal with needing a drink at a particular time of the day, drinking in the morning, drinking to deal with stressful scenarios, cravings etc. I can't ID with any of these. For me drinking has always been a vehicle to get out and meet people. Unfortunately once started I all too regularly would not stop until the party was over. But normally after 2 nights/days out I would run out of steam and would not even comtemplate having a drink during a week night etc as it just would not appeal to me. No matter how drunk I'd be I would never have a drink on my own when I'd arrive home even with a house full of booze. I am not underestimating the extent of my problems because booze has caused me serious difficulties as outlined in previous posts. I am just trying to identify where I fit into the general scheme of things. I don't want to be labelled or want someone to say well you don't drink everyday so your alright. It is not a weakening of my resolve just trying to get a better understanding of what I am dealing with.

Rant over - apologies.

Comment

mighty mouse;755783 wrote: Hi Davie and Jackie,
          Good #7, I'm not very loud but I can be very talkative and socially outgoing even with no AL. I read before that people with outgoing personalities can develope more AL problems. I don't know if that is true. Maybe because at first it brings out more of those traits that you like about yourself.
          If that is a soccer (football) game your going to I am so jealous. My 3 children played and they were fabulous at it. I love the sport and usa does not brodcast the game very well. We are so far behind here. My dream is to go to europe during all the games and watch with the locals. where everyone loves the game! Oh well I better stop I could talk forever about soccer.
          Day 5 AF onto day6!
          Good night, MM
          Hi MM,
          Yes its soccer a World Cup Qualifier which I am pretty sure the US has qualified for already.

Comment

I plan to expand this list to 30 reasons i.e = 30 days- once it doesn't get too boring or repetitive. Any plans yourself?
            Did my self a little bit of disservice there - 27 reasons = 30 days AF - forgot about the 3 days AF before I started the list - who's counting anyway? Me !

Comment

Hello Davie, nice to "meet" you.
              Just on your last post, I don't think it matters when or what we drink, its how we drink thats the problem. ie to oblivion. When our drinking affects our day to day life I think that is when we have a problem.
              Hope that makes sense to you and good luck with your 30 days.

Comment

To be awake and sober to see the morning sun rise and hear the new call of the birds. Now i think this is a reason to stay sober!
                Hearing my daughter tell me that i was happy this morning! Another reason.
                Being part of this forum and friends with strong guys like yourself!
                Not wanting to let myself down.
                xxx

Comment

BIG HUGE "DITTO", Sheri!

It's progressive, Davie. I was once where you are and "people" would say, "No! You don't have a problem!" when I knew that I did. Kudos to you for, as you say, "nipping it in the bud".

Like Sheri, I wish I had taken control of the situation YEARS ago.

BUT....I'm not dead yet!

Comment

Hi all,
                    Thanks for your replies - very heplful. Good session in gym tonight and then sister's for dinner. First real hurdle this evening a mate of mine called to see if I would go for a drink. Had to remind myself of MWO and what I have posted here and the reasons for same. Got past it so thanks MWO.
                    Reasons not to drink.
                    1) Absolutely nothing positive comes from me drinking
                    2) My most difficult times from childhood to adulthood have been as a direct or indirect result of my own or someone elses (father's) alcohol abuse
                    3) Alcoholism is progressive - I don't want to look back in 1,2,3 or more years to be further along my downward spiral having wasted this opportunity to nip it in the bud while I still can.
                    4) I have a relationship of fun & mischievous (spelling?) with all my nieces and nephews and I want dearly to retain this. However I don't ever want them to feel sorry for me or embarassed by me. I want them to always be proud of me and know they can rely on me. One way to achieving this is to stop pissing my life and hard earned money away at the weekends and start to reach my true potential.
                    5) No more dark (almost suicidal) thoughts after a binge - guilt about the hundreds Euro spent, making a fool of myself and missing work - and asking myself why have I done this to myself again?
                    6) No more blackouts wondering how I got home - dreading what I have said and done.
                    7) I can be loud, obnoxious, rude and arrogant when drunk. I don't want people to see me like this as this not the real me.
                    8) I know my life will be far more happier, fun and prosperous without AL.

Comment

Hi Davie,
                      Well I tried to look out my copy of MWO and I knew it was under the bed. So far I've found a silver flip flop, half a box of chocolates and my big book from AA (I no longer go).

My witching hour used to be when I was cooking the dinner. I'd have a couple of glasses of wine, which then turned into a bottle, which then turned into no dinner and just the bottle.
                      Before I knew it I was relying on that bottle, then the next.

So my witching hour no longer existed. I drank morning noon and night, until the 5th July when I knew I had to change.

I'm so glad you've realised now rather than later to nip this thing in the bud.

You're doing great.

Love Jackie xxx
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thanks Jackie.

Comment

Just a thought Davie,

You should pop into the Army thread. There's a few Irish in there. KT,Opal,mario.

I flew over to Belfast 4 weeks ago and met Opal and mario. We had a great day and my 1st flight on my own and without the cushion of alcohol.

Fingers crossed for the match.

J x
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Jackie,
                            I've seen that thread but didn't want to impose just yet.

yep fingers crossed for the match. I think Sky Sports are showing it so it's available in the UK.

Comment

Dave, just wanted to say thanks for continuing your list of reasons not to drink. Isn't it great waking up and feeling well rested and not guilty? The anxiety after drinking too much was so intense, and the guilt. Wow.

I understand where you had a hard time relating to the MWO book, but one thing that struck me was the LOSS OF CONTROL. That is a major sign of having a problem. Not being able to stop. That seems to me to be the thing you have in common with Roberta Jewell. Once started, the inability to stop, even though past experience would tell you that you will have regrets the next day. Just something to think about. I noticed that I always had to have more alcohol than others, I just had a hard time stopping after a reasonable amount of drinks. I lost control.

You are doing a great job and helping others so much. Strength and hope to you. Take care.
                              Redhibiscus

Comment

Dave-

Keep up the good work. Hang in there. It only gets better.
                                AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X