Reasons Not To Drink/Davie's Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kid aspect in getting AF makes a lot of sense to me. That's what has been a huge influence in my life.
    That relationship is something so precious to me that I don't want to burden it with my drinking.

I think that making this list will definitely be a good thing. I keep one in my head- I'm too stubborn/lazy/take your pick to write it down, though I've been told to many many times.
    I am not a cucumber!

Comment

mighty mouse;754254 wrote: Sorry Davie, I didn.t mean to imply that. I didn't even think that. I meant that kids keep you grounded and can bring out your true self, your best self and it seems thats what you love about them.
      MM
      Not at all MM - no need to apologise - me over analysing.

DS

Comment

Hi,
        First gym weights session in 10 days this evening, tough going but felt good after it.

Reasons not to drink.
        1) Absolutely nothing positive comes from me drinking
        2) My most difficult times from childhood to adulthood have been as a direct or indirect result of my own or someone elses (father's) alcohol abuse
        3) Alcoholism is progressive - I don't want to look back in 1,2,3 or more years to be further along my downward spiral having wasted this opportunity to nip it in the bud while I still can.
        4) I have a relationship of fun & mischievous (spelling?) with all my nieces and nephews and I want dearly to retain this. However I don't ever want them to feel sorry for me or embarassed by me. I want them to always be proud of me and know they can rely on me. One way to achieving this is to stop pissing my life and hard earned money away at the weekends and start to reach my true potential.
        5) No more dark (almost suicidal) thoughts after a binge - guilt about the hundreds Euro spent, making a fool of myself and missing work - and asking myself why have I done this to myself again?

Comment

Hi Davie,

Sorry it's me that's late tonight.

Very powerful stuff here, Keep them coming.

Love Jackie xxx
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Davie, Good 5. The mornings after to much are dark and lonely places.. keep up the fight. MM

Comment

Your reason number 5 is all to familiar. The only time I have EVER had a thought of not living was after a horrific night of drinking. I figured it would be better then having to face anyone I may have drunk dialed and/or insulted *no mouth filter when drinking). Hating yourself is the WORST feeling in the world. Telling yourself you will NEVER do this again, only to find yourself at the liquor store on the way home from work. Going to work knowing that I was only giving a half assed attempt and praying for the day to be over. That floaty feeling that seems to only get worse throughout the day.

EXCELLENT reason not to drink, and for me, the one that keeps me AF! We will keep looking for your posts!
              AF since 2/4/10
              Nicotine free since 3/31/10
              FINALLY FREE

Comment

Davie,

#5 is an excellent reason not to drink anymore. I think of my drinking days as "a long dark ride" I am so glad to be off that ride.

Keep up the good work.
                AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Davie, I sure appreciate you sharing your reasons with us. It is so reinforcing. Sometimes you get to feeing SO GOOD when you are AF, that you forget the dark times. It's important not to forget.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Gym again tonight. They were organising the work Christmas party today. Its on the week before Christmas day. I'm going to make my exscuses and not go.

Reasons not to drink.
                    2) My most difficult times from childhood to adulthood have been as a direct or indirect result of my own or someone elses (father's) alcohol abuse
                    3) Alcoholism is progressive - I don't want to look back in 1,2,3 or more years to be further along my downward spiral having wasted this opportunity to nip it in the bud while I still can.
                    4) I have a relationship of fun & mischievous (spelling?) with all my nieces and nephews and I want dearly to retain this. However I don't ever want them to feel sorry for me or embarassed by me. I want them to always be proud of me and know they can rely on me. One way to achieving this is to stop pissing my life and hard earned money away at the weekends and start to reach my true potential.
                    5) No more dark (almost suicidal) thoughts after a binge - guilt about the hundreds Euro spent, making a fool of myself and missing work - and asking myself why have I done this to myself again?
                    6) No more blackouts wondering how I got home - dreading what I have said and done.

Comment

Davie, Yes, no more asking my kids questions in the morning and them telling me I already told you that last night mom.
                      MM

Comment

I'm late again,Davie,
                        Sorry.

No 6: No more inviting people for Sunday lunch after a 'late' Saturday night and wondering what the Hell they're doing on your doorstep at 12 noon the following day.

It's amazing how quick flu can come on just before a big event.

Love Jackie xxx
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

mighty mouse;755067 wrote: Davie, Yes, no more asking my kids questions in the morning and them telling me I already told you that last night mom.
                          MM
                          Oh God I know! That is the worst!

Comment

Hi All,
                            Busy in work. Good weights session in the gym. Then had some food with friends - feeling good.

Reasons not to drink.
                            6) No more blackouts wondering how I got home - dreading what I have said and done.
                            7) I can be loud, obnoxious, rude and arrogant when drunk. I don't want people to see me like this as this not the real me.

Comment

Davie Souter;755764 wrote:
                              7) I can be loud, obnoxious, rude and arrogant when drunk. I don't want people to see me like this as this not the real me.
                              I can still be loud and rude. But to the people I actually don't like rather than the people I love.

What's the plan's for this weekend.

You'll have to start on another list.

J x
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Some people would say I'm loud without drink but when drunk you could multiply it by 10. To be honest even when sober I'm quite outgoing and outspoken.

This weekend = big world cup qualifier for Ireland versus France on Sat night. I'm going to the game with my brother - I'm driving into town so its all good -looking forward to it.

I plan to expand this list to 30 reasons i.e = 30 days- once it doesn't get too boring or repetitive. Any plans yourself?

Comment

Working...
                                X