Need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help

I am totally new to this site. I know I need to cut back on my drinking. How do you stick to moderation? I always find myself with 100 excuses for just 1 more.:new:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Need some help

Hi Jolie and :welcome:

Why don't you start by reading RJ's book? She suggests abstaining for 30 days and see where you stand regardiing your thoughts on modding. Some on the site mod, some don't, some know by painful experience they cannot. It is an individual choice and experience. Tell us a bit more about yourself and I'm sure you will find many people like you by reading posts. The threads are loaded with support, understanding and advice. Congratulations on your decision to change!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Need some help

Welcome Jolie!

You have come to a great place for people like us!

Have you read the My Way Out book? I have to tell you that it has helped me immensely. I have reread it several times, and find it encourages me each time.

Tell us a little about yourself. Each one of us is different, and you will get lots of very good advice here.

For my own self, I also have a long-term goal of wanting to moderate. I told myself over the years that my drinking was only social, only celebratory, only to soothe the tiredness after a hard day's work... and realized that I could find a good excuse to drink no matter what kind of day I had had. I tried the My Way Out program last spring without taking the Topomax, did the month of no drinking, and then went right back to my old habits. So, this fall I decided I'd better go for it the whole way. I went to my doc, got the prescription for topomax, and believe it or not, 6 weeks into the program, can now have ONE glass of wine, and not want another. I have lost 8 pounds. I feel like a new person.

So, my dear Jolie, it can happen. This is just one story. You'll hear lots and lots. The people here are the absolute best, and they have helped me more than I can ever say. Good luck to you and welcome!:welcome:

Comment

Need some help

just like to say a big hi & welcome jolie,you are with a great community with great support & advice read as many posts threads as you can and dont be shy to ask anything,it has been asked before.goodluck

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Need some help

Hi Jolie,

Welcome, you've found a good place
          Right now you brain is being controlled by AL, we've all been there. That's why the suggested 30 days of abstinence is so helpful. I started out wanting to drink moderately too but after reaching my 30 AF days, I changed my mind! I had a much clearer view view of what was going on.

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread for loads of support!
          Best wishes on your journey!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Need some help

Thank you to all who have answered. I've been married for 26 years, mother of 2 grown children. I have a full time job that I really enjoy and many friends. I started drinking every day about 6 years ago. I hide it from my husband and children - always mixing it with something else to disguise what it really is. I drink when I get home from work until I go to bed (usually about 32 oz. of wine mixed with green tea) I never get totally wasted but just enough to make the difference. I always wake up feeling guilty and wondering how it is affecting my health. Nothing obvious so far but I know I can't keep going the way I have been. Last week I actually stopped for 3 days then the 4th day cut my normal consumption in half (16 oz.). I'm going to read the book since everyone here has commented on how it made such a big difference to them.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Need some help

:welcome:

Hi Jolie,

Can't add anything to the great advice you've already been given.

Just wanted to say hello.

Stay close.

Love Jackie x
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Need some help

Hi Jolie, I'm new too. I've been exploring this sight. I started day 1 AF today. I've never made it more than 3 or 4 days. I'm excited and scared to makeit farther. I have 3 kids. 2 in college and 1 in high school. Wine is my choice drink. I have prreviously drank vodka but got scared of drinking to muchof it and went back to wine. I have hidden most of itprettyy well but not that well. Its true there is always an excuse for drinking and tv and media and friends help glorify it. especially wine ...like it's not truely alcohal and its sooo sophisticated. Well I'm tired annd I want to know who I am with out it. I'm 51 years old and I want to be 51 and done.
                Good Luck on your journey,
                Mighty Mouse

Comment

Need some help

I'm tired too

Mighty mouse,

Thanks for replying and - I may be an idiot, but what does "AF" stand for? I think the longest I've gone inbetween drinks in the last 6 years has been 4 or 5 days at the most. Maybe we can support each other - the will to quit is there but a couple of days later, I start up again. I know what you mean about wanting to find out who you really are (without the alcohol). :thanks:

Comment

Need some help

Alcohol Free, Jolie It's great to have a pal. 3 people just celebrated 90 days together.
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Need some help

Hi Jolie, yep AF is alcohal free. I know what you mean. At 3 or 4 days you feel good and think it will be ok..but it never has been for many years. We have to find a way to love ourselves. Maybe we can get through it together. We need to keep trying. I'll watch for you on MYO. not sure how to use the computer that well but I'll keep learning and trying to figure this site out.
                      your friend, MM

Comment

Need some help

Hi, Jolie and Mighty Mouse,

I am glad both of your are here. I am also in my early 50s, and yep, wine is also my drink of choice, and yes, I've also been the vodka route. But as I said, our demon can be licked. Keep on coming here, keep reading and posting. You are absolutely dong the right thing by being here. Congratulations for realizing that you need to make that first step!:goodjob:

Comment

Need some help

:welcome: Welcome, jolie and mighty mouse!

This is a great place, and we all started where you two are now. I agree with all the above advice, and will only add just make the commitment, one day, hour, or minute at a time - it adds up! Stick around - you will not regret it! I wish you both the best.

Much love! :h
                          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Need some help

Thanks Mica and Dancelot, I'm feeling optomistic. Having friends to vent with is great and not being judged is great. I think we all beat ourselves up enough. I'll keep posting and getting help and hopefully helping others.
                            Sober Monday #2 MM

Comment

Need some help

Welcome Jolie....stick around and you will find tons of understanding and support here.
                              Read a lot a post when you feel like it. We are all in this fight together. Best wishes to you!
                              When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                              -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Working...
                              X