Special reflections, what went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In looking back why wern't the simple and precious things enough for happiness? I remember getting up at the crack of dawn and playing football and baseball until dark, returning home to a hot meal and actually sharing conversation at the dinner table. The refreshing taste of water from a garden hose on a hot July day. The feeling of the last day of school before summer break. Friday night football games under the lights. The nervouse feeling of kissing my girlfriend for the first time. Making the game winning hit or catch. The frustrated feeling of walking from my home to the barbor shop. Camping out and telling ghost stories. Holding my now 20 year old child as he slept on my chest. It seems too simple to just hold the wheel straight! Why turn? I certainly didn't have good feelings like the aforementioned reflections last night while drinking beer and watching the game. Why the TURN!?! I guess reflecting back you may never move on. I am new here and am glad I have found this place. Thank you all for the valuable insite. It's nice to know you are not the only one to wrestle this problem.

Hi Remember When,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
    I do remember when life was simpler, basic, etc. We may never be able to recapture the pure joy of youth but we can vastly improve our lives when we kick AL out

I've done it, many, many here have done it as well! You've taken the important first step by coming here, that's great! Download & read the MWO book, it's full of useful information to help you get started. Please continue to read as much as possible on the threads - you'll see how others have found success.

Please feel free to join us on the 'Newbies Nest' thread for lots of support as well.
    Wishing you the very best on your journey!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Welcome, Remember When - :welcome:

You've made a huge step coming here. MWO has changed my life. I'm now more than 3 months AF, thanks to all the valuable information and support found on this site. This is after more than 30 years of drinking. My point is, it is possible to get back your old life, and the old you. I once again feel the joy and simple pleasures you describe, and they are as wonderful as that kid I used to be remembers.

I wish you much success in your journey - you will never regret it! Much love!
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hi. I'm new here too. I've been around a lot of recovery sites and info and this looks like a good approach, it makes sense. I'm really beginning to feel like I can get my life back, which was taken over by the drinking. All the best.

Comment

welcome all you newbies, this is a wonderful place to visit and reflect on thing;s it;s nice to be able to ramble on about personal feeling's and getting feed back from other's here, it helps me to find thing's out about myself, I hope it help's you too.Love and hug's Tawnywitch.
          Twitch

Comment

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv:
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

:welcome: We grew up...that's what happened. Life was much simpler then. Drinking complicates life. I am working hard to simplify my life again for many reasons.

Comment

r w dont we al feel like tht,remember when life was easy,we were children,only seeing what mt be in store for us,always trusting,in my case ,on my parents to do rt,then your world crumbles,there dead,then you get many years to reflect on why they did things the way they did,and in my case my parents were,smart,not smart enough to no better then to abuse themselves,them when the the cards all get thrown down,your there wondering why its the way it is,pick up the pcs.,is tht not the way for all of us,here,you've picked a great site,great thread my friend welcom gyco

Comment

:welcome: Remember and also mel09

This is a great community for support on your journey to sobriety.

For me, I am learning to appreciate the simple things in life again. And I try very hard not to take them for granted this time around as I know how much AL robs us of. So on some level, maybe this time around the simple things are even sweeter.

I keep a gratitude list in my day planner and try to visit it every day to either write something new or read what's already there. Helps keep me grounded in all that I have to enjoy in my newly sober life.

Strength and hope to you,

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Remember When, keep in touch and keep posting and reading.. some of that lost innocence can be found again at these sights with alot of caring people. I to am trying to learn to control that Fake fun of AL and get more quality back. The real stuff.
                    Don't stop trying.

Mel09 You can do it too!!!

Mighty Mouse

Comment

Hi and Welcome,
                      I think we have all experienced exactly what you are talking about. I believe when al enters our life it starts to program us to think the only way to have fun is to take a drink and be silly. It's part of the addiction process. That is why one is never enough for us who have al problems. We think the more we have the better we will feel. Sneaky little devil. Then we start avoiding things we used to like doing that don't involve the hooch. I know I did. I actually started taking wine in a to go cup to the movies so that I could have a drink there.

Al robs us of real laughter and real emotions. It's okay to be sad, happy, mellow, etc....These are normal feelings. These things we enjoyed are still out there for us to experience. We just have to silence the addiction to allow the sun to shine back on the innocent things that TRULY made us feel good. The sound of the rain on my roof at night used to give me some of the greatest feelings of self that there is. After drinking, I would be lucky to even know it's raining.

Give yourself a chance. It will come back. I only have 5 weeks of sobriety, but already, a song on the radio can give me an uplifting feeling I thought I had the inability to comprehend anymore. Stay here. Read, post and distract yourself from whatever your witching hour is (I make sure I am NEVER home between 5pm to 7pm. ) I do errands, gym, bookstore, windowshop, etc. You ARE worth it!
                      AF since 2/4/10
                      Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                      FINALLY FREE

Comment

hey Mel, this is so different. like a confession. I hope it is successful for you! and me..

Comment

Welcome RememberWhen and Mel too! So glad to meet you both.

I'm just a couple weeks without alcohol and can tell you that for me, I noticed positive changes as early as the third day. Everyday since, something has been awakened -- a new realization, experiencing a simple pleasure (like sleep & waking feeling clear-headed), etc. Today I smelled the cut grass as I was walking into my office and saw the moon high in the sky although it was daylight. I wouldn't have noticed those things two weeks ago because I would have been hungover and feeling like crap.

Your post was magical to me, RW...you captured such simple beauty with your words. I hope that you, mel, me and everyone here gets to experience that kind of joy and peace again.

Blessings!

Comment

I sure hope so.. Not so for me right now. It's gonna happen though!

Comment

What a lovely post. Thanks, Remember When? I agree with Shiraz. As we grow up and into the culture of 'drinking to have a good time', we tend to kill all the real feelings, which is really sad.

I am concerned that I will never get these feelings back again as I have lived through too much sh*t. That would be even sadder. I hope to get into 'Mindfulness', which may help me rediscover the natural sensations and feelings.
                              Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X