Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

:new:
    Hi. This is probably one of the hardest things that I have ever done. Recognising that I have an abusive relationship with alcohol. Am I an alcoholic? I dont think so? Am I alcohol dependant? I dont know. What I do know is that when I am drinking-mainly wine and beer there is no off switch! One glass of wine is not enough I have to finish the bottle and often open another.
    I watched the program last night on the BBC that Callum Best did about kids growing up with alcoholic parents and decided whilst drinking beer that I didnt want my kids to be affected by my ?addiction. They have seen me drunk and I am so ashamed of this.
    So today is the start of a new me I hope! I cant see me being able to cut down on the amount that I drink so I will have to stop! Im an at home in front of the tv drinker so not many people are aware of the amount I drink.
    Thanks for reading this.:thanks:

Hello

Hi CMF - I think you've taken the first main step by admitting you have a problem- most of us take years to get there- I know I did. One glass never seems enough, you think it will be or perhaps 2 and then suddenly the bottle is empty and your brain is going numb! been there! You owe it to yourself to get out of the hole.I only started 12 days ago myself and kept on saying/thinking that I needed to do it for my family - but as lots of members who kindly gave me so much support (and this is a brilliant site for that) I needed to do it for me and I'm beginning to see that now. Going AF is a very good idea because if you don't have the first you won't need the second!
    Good luck and stay in touch X - Roberta

Comment

Hello

Hi changemeforever :welcome:

Well done on being honest with yourself - that is a hard thing to do. It sounds as though you have a great motivation to stop.

I don't have an off switch either and this site is one of the things that helped me to stop all together - and feel much happier and healthier as a result.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hello

Thanks for your reply. This relationship has been going on for 10yrs now and as I am 35 its time to start addressing it. I feel fine now sat here tapping away on the computer but i know that when the sun goes down and I settle in for the evening that is when it is going to be hard.
        I guess time will tell. :thanks:

Comment

Hello

Hello changeme and welcome, well done on taking that all important first step. You have found a great place here, one where we give each other non judgemental support, advise and help. May I suggest you look into getting the MWO book and reading it, it helped me formulate a plan of action six months ago after 20 years of almost constant daily drinking and I havent looked back. Keep close to the boards and ask if you need anything, there is usually someone about who will offer any help they can give. This battle can be won as many people here have proved.
          Keep safe
          KTAB
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hello

Well guys it's now time for bed in the uk and I have not had a drink or had the urge to drink! Been on chat tonight and read so many inspirational posts that I am so relieved to have found this site! So tomorrow will be day 2! I'm already lookng forward to seeing a new day! X

Comment

Hello

Hi CMF,
              I am very new here too. I have found everyone here very supportive. I have committed to posting here everyday and sharing a new reason not to drink everyday in the early stages of being AF - it is helping. Having a Plan to ensure you don't drink appears to be vital but the overriding message here seems to be the choice to drink is yours only and by deciding not to have that first drink you are on your way.

Best of luck.

Comment

Hello

:welcome: CMF,

I'm another one who didn't have an off switch. So now I don't push start.

Keep reading,keep posting.

Stay close.

Love Jackie xxx
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hello

Hi CMF! Welcome!

ditto what jackie said.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hello

welcome CMF- you will find this site very helpful - during the first week or so jump into chat or read through threads especially if you are having cravings. Load up your fridge with yummy non alcoholic drinks and special treats to have over your witching hours. Cravings do not last, so tell them to get lost and find something else to do and keep yourself busy when you normally would be drinking.
                    It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Hello

Welcome CMF! Congratulations on your first day! Like Roberta, I'm new at this too. Celebrate every moment and hope to see you around.

Wishing you all the best!

Comment

Hello

Hi, I just joined here recently too. I'm 36 years old, didn't start drinking until I was in my late twenties and at first it wasn't too bad, but a few years ago I seemed to start losing that off switch. I guess it's been progressive. Good advice here for dealing with the early withdrawal, take good care of yourself. You're making the right decision.

Comment

Hello

mel09;755877 wrote: Hi, I just joined here recently too. I'm 36 years old, didn't start drinking until I was in my late twenties and at first it wasn't too bad, but a few years ago I seemed to start losing that off switch. I guess it's been progressive. Good advice here for dealing with the early withdrawal, take good care of yourself. You're making the right decision.
                          It's a very important thing to remember Mel...it IS a progressive thing so the sooner it's dealt with the better.
                          And welcome to you & CMF.

xo

Comment

Hello

just like to say hi & welcome changemeforever & melo9.this is a great community with great advice & support ,hope you stick around,it will help you.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hello

Changemeforever

Hey I'm hearing you. If it helps , I'm a newbie, ready to have a go. Keep posting, stay in touch, you'll help me too with this battle.
                              PPS
                              Whatever your mind believes becomes reality, whether it is reality or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X