Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

Just need to get this off my chest...

I don't know, but somewhere in the last two weeks, I've turned a corner. Not AF totally, but damn near. And I've discovered that many people think filming drunks is funny. Guess my skin isn't as thick as it once was, but I find it appalling and downright inhumane when people send out the blanket email "watch the drunk fall over" videos or pictures. Really? Would it be so funny if there was a needle in their arm? Or a pill bottle by the passed out pic? How about the chemo patient throwing up? Funny?

What's so damn funny?

Okay, deep breath. Thanks, just needed to get that out.

G

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

G,

I know...I always get emails with clips of drunk people from supposed friends who think it is hilarious to see some guy on his lawn mower driving drunk and getting pulled over by the police....or those pictures of all those drunk people without clothes or puking or laying in the street...I never pass these emails on...I always delete. Horrible...thanks for the IT'S NOT FUNNY Post.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

Does that mean you got the video with the guy in the liquor store buying more beer who couldn't even stand up to the 2001 Space Oddessy theme? I gotta say I laughed and laughed.

I think I disturbed my husband however, he didn't find it funny. I think for me it's a coping mechanism (like telling jokes at a funeral.)

Now people passed out without clothes, or puking, or laying in the street --that I wouldn't think is funny. Nobody's ever sent me anything like that. There was one where a guy put a rifle in front of his face and fired it without realizing it would kick back so hard. (He may have been stupid and not drunk.) That one was funny but painful to watch. Drunks with guns in general aren't funny though.

Also, I can't stand watching the Cops shows. I've no idea what people see in those.
      Kelly

Comment

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

Yes I feel the same way, I on the other hand I look at these videos and think that could have been ME.

I thing it's very cruel of people to do this sort of thing to a sick person, We live in a sick sociality. and again I look at as more reason for me not to drink and become a talent (if you will) for one of those videos.

We should reply to the publisher of these videos and get email address's of the guy on the lawn mower, falling down guy. etc and offer our help them get sober and show those sick folks a better life.

This is Very Wrong but I Thank GOD its not me or you, Use that as a grim reminder of how bad alcoholic mess up someones life.

Great subject, GOD BLESS and have a great night, (On my way to my Monday Night Mens Stage)
        :colorwelcome:(AF 7/13/2009) :h Get back in the Drivers seat of your own Life! Go to www.Sober4LifeClub.com and solve your problems!
        Voice your opinion at The Club for Drunks
        this has Just started so be one of the First! :h

Comment

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

Maybe that's why it hits so hard... that could have been me! And I would hope I'd have a friend to drive me home, put me to bed and not take pictures! These are friends? (An aside, read an interesting article on interventions. Seems they aren't all they were cracked up to be. Yes, some good, but more damage. Wish I could find the link!)

Luckily, before the advent of cell phones and you tube, I was off the partying scene. Just a "remember when" in my friend's memory. Still have those "remember when" flashbacks and cringe!

Here's to a clean night and a clear tomorrow! And a bit o' sympathy and hand up to those out there still.

Night,

G

Comment

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

I actually carry around a photo that someone took of me in Vegas and brother, was I a hot mess. When I think that having a drink wouldn't hurt, I pull it out in private and give it a good stare. I can't believe it's even me. This is for me only and would probably be pretty hurt if someone put it on the internet....
            AF since 2/4/10
            Nicotine free since 3/31/10
            FINALLY FREE

Comment

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

it's not funny...it's downright disgusting..So why do I laugh until I cry???
              Work like you don't need money,
              Love like you've never been hurt,
              And dance like no one's watching.
              ~author unknown

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
              ~Nancy Astor

Comment

Rant- Drunk is NOT Funny

Because some of it is pretty damn funny and people who drink too much can do some pretty stupid things?I think it's all about perspective....

People who don't have a drinking problem CAN look at stuff like that and laugh. They've probably been in a similar situation at some point in their lives and can relate, and realize that person is paying for it and probably won't want to drink again for weeks. There is the distinction, right? We wake up and do it all over again the next day...

To me, I think owning up to our problems is required to be able to accept it. It took me a long time to admit that I was an alcoholic who couldn't drink normally like other people. Up until that point, videos/pics would hit way too close to home and I would take it as a personal affront to myself (because it was all about me, of course) because I couldn't control it. Didn't people realize that?

Actually the didn't, because they don't have this problem. So, my options are to be upset about it and try to change millions of people's behaviors, or to try and find inner acceptance of my problem and in doing so, come to understand that only I can control whether or not I let other people upset me with their views.

I completely understand why the OP feels the way they do and I empathize fully - been there and done that. Just keep working your program!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Working...
                X