Would like to know what to expect re withdrawal symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallo everyone - I am a newbie. I have downloaded the book, and have an appt on the 8th Dec with my doc, for some Topa. I am getting just a little nervous about what to expect re withdrawal - what sort of things am i likely to have? I drink 4-6 cans of Guinness every night and have done so for ages. I know my doc will ask me how much I drink and if I tell him the truth, he will probably tell me that I need some help with it. I want to do this on my own. My husband drinks too but is supportive of me doing this. I would just like to know what I am likely to experience re the Topa and the withdrawal!! Any help at all would be great!

sunshine
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Hi sunshine,

Welcome to MWO, it's a good place!
    I was a wine drinker myself, a huge wine drinker. I don't know - 4-6 cans of beer doesn't really sound like that much to me. Hopefully another former beer drinker will chime in here & help out.
    I spent several weeks gradually reducing my wine intake before quitting & really didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms. I felt like I had the flu for a few days but nothing worse!
    Perhaps you can begin to slowly reduce your beer intake now before you see your Doc. I didn't take Topa or any meds, I relied soley on the Hypnotherapy CDs & some herbal products to help relieve the anxiety/depression I had been dealing with.

We each need to find our own way to deal with this, I'm sure you will too! Feel fortunate that your husband is supportive, not all of them are.

I'm sure you'll find answers to your Topa questions in the Meds section.
    Feel free to drop in the 'Newbies Nest' thread for support as well

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi sunshine and welcome! Congrats on your decision to kick AL to the curb. Fellow Illinoisan (Illini? well...not U of I!) here.

This post/thread contains some useful links about withdrawl. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f7...wal-13412.html It's great that your husband is supportive of your decision - I'm lucky in that regard as well. What I did when I first quit was print out some of the info from that thread I just linked, and reviewed it with Mr. Doggy. I quit at a time when I could just rest and relax if that's all I felt like doing. He kept a close eye on me for the first few days with that info in hand about how to spot a problem.

Everything went smoothly. You are doing yourself a favor by stopping the madness with this toxic stuff. Your body will thank you!

Strength and hope to you,

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hallo all of you and thank you - I keep trying to log in and it says that I can't - I wanted to reply to each of you! I was worried about using all of my chances!! Anyway thank you for replying. I know that 4-6 beers doesn't sound like a lot but it is!! To me anyway. I would like to know - what withdrawal symptoms did you have? I am so nervous about stopping - I cannot cut down before my doctor visit on the 8th! I have already tried. If I could cut down, I wouldn't need the doctor visit! I am hoping that the Topa will help but am SO worried about withdrawal!! Please reply to me!

sunshine
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi sunshine,

I had similar withdrawal symptoms to Sheri - fuzzy headed and not being able to sleep. It was the lack of sleep that affected me most. I got a suggestion on here to try melatonin, which helped me. There are various herbal sleep aids available. It might be a good idea to buy one before you quit so you're prepared. Not being able to sleep is very common.

I'd also like to say that I was drinking much more than you and I experienced nothing worse than lack of sleep and the spaced-out feeling for a few days. But it's so worth going through that to start getting healthy. Your body will thank you for it!

I don't know anything about Topa but there is a meds section here that will have info on that.

Good luck with your doc!
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Working...
          X