Why would we make ourselves sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been a heavy drinker for about 7 years. I have been on and off drinking for a few months but realize that I can not moderate. One is never enough and then I end up drinking 8 glasses of wine and feeling sick the next day plus have horrible guilt and anxiety.

So today, December 1st will be my first try to go AF permanently. I believe if I can get through the first months I will be successful.

I had my first sober Thanksgiving this year and realized that no one was drinking more than two drinks each. Who knew? I had none.

I have to remember that drinking is optional as your body doesn't need it. We are the only mammal who intentionally puts poison in our bodies. Crazy! I would never drink anything called "Cancer and Liver Disease."

Off to the races.....
    I will drink no wine for I can't control it and I will not whine about why I can't drink wine.

WineNoMore, Good for you!! You could be singing my song, exactly. I can't stop at one and marvel at those who can. I intend for Dec to be my first sober months in as long as I can remember. Glad to join you! :goodjob:
    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

wine no more;767806 wrote:
      I had my first sober Thanksgiving this year and realized that no one was drinking more than two drinks each. Who knew?..
      :H

Yes, when I stopped guzzling alcohol I looked around and was amazed to discover that not everyone's life revolved around drinking.

What a great time to start your AF journey - here's to a sober Christmas!
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi Nomore,
        I have made the same observation - I always thought that every party involved everyone getting blasted, because that's what my parents did at every holiday and party and dinner out. Actually people don't get blasted, they just have a glass or two. I two would like to join the land of the living. Nothing worse than forgetting a good party.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
        AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Well, it seems many of us have been fooled into thinking everyone drinks like we do or we choose to find people who drink like we do..... I will have some people that will not understand why I have to quit altogether and not just have one or two.
          I will drink no wine for I can't control it and I will not whine about why I can't drink wine.

Comment

I think it's important to find people who don't drink like fish to hang around with. People who aren't drinking every day do interesting things like read, go to movies, get involved in community. I am trying to build relationships with these types of people.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Hi WNM.

We are the only mammal who intentionally puts poison in our bodies.
              Don't forget that all this al business defies all logic and rational thought. Glad to hear you're taking a great step in the right direction!

Tulipe - where do you go to meet people who don't drink? The only places people actually hang-out here in the 'states seem to be bars.

Good luck wnm!
              tw
              Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Good for you Wine No More,

And don't worry about what other people think. Who cares?

Do what's right for you, be healthy & happy!

Join us in the Newbies Nest.
                Wishing you the best!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                X