Bad DT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad DT's

I am at about 20 per day right now and have tried to quit twice in the last two weeks but the DT's were so bad. Sweating, pounding head, muscle cramps. Misery. I spread out the drinking across the day and actually feel quite normal, but this needs to stop. Yesterday I had a muscle cramp in my left arm that left a bruise from my wrist all the way up to my elbow. I don't know what to do.

Bad DT's

Two things that my doctor prescribed was Lithium (to help with withdrawals) and Clonidine so my blood pressure didn't get too high.

A very hot shower will help --hot as you can stand. It leaches out the toxins in your body.

Also a hot bath with epsom salts (they're cheap at the drugstore) will also help get rid of toxins and supply much-needed Magnesium.

I'm an avid orange juice drinker! And tons of water too!

Each time I'd decided to quit, I didn't bother waiting for the doctor. I needed to quit right that second, and not have an excuse to drink for a few more days. After getting over the 3-day hangover, I think the worst parts of detoxing were the cold sweats at night (BLECH) and also the insomnia. It starts to clear up after a few days though.

I was drinking a liter of vodka a day, so I don't know how many units it was but definitely more than the recommended 14 units per week.

Best of luck! You've been here long enough to know that this is a safe place to come and get support.
    Kelly

Comment

Bad DT's

Hi there Case, you are having a tough time arent you?
      Is there any way you can speak to a doctor? It really does sound like you need a medical detox. Your body right now is requiring alcohol to function and to withdraw it suddenly would be very dangerous.
      Is there anywhere you can go?
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Bad DT's

Hi Urbie! Xposted.
        2 different view points here Case.
        Please be very careful, I watched a guy have a seizure at work through al withdrawal and its very dangerous.

Comment

Bad DT's

I was thinking that I would cut down by one beer/cocktail everyday so I didn't go through the pain and could also function. Last Friday I tried to go AF and I was totally freaked out, in so much physical pain, and could not even function.

Comment

Bad DT's

Cutting down is a good idea if you can stick to it.

Comment

Bad DT's

Starts... not two points of view. I just knew that *I* wouldn't have seizures and stuff, so that was good for me. It was scary the first time though... waiting to see how bad it was going to get. I'm assuming Case has been through this before and knows himself. (or herself )

Case, I gotta be honest. Cutting down by a few drinks a day probably isn't going to work, and it's not going to make it any easier either. You just need to get it over with and start fresh. There are probably plenty of detox centers near you to make it safer!
              Kelly

Comment

Bad DT's

This is going to sound dumb, but I did go through it on Friday of last week. But, my business partners needed me at meetings on Saturday and Sunday so the only way to make the meetings was to have five vodkas to ensure that I would be "normal". Also, on my insurance, when I checked all the boxes there was one for heavy alcohol consumption and I didn't check it when I filled out the application. I feel like I am backed into a corner here...

Comment

Bad DT's

The first time I detoxed (I had a seizure disorder at the time) they were afraid I was going to have a seizure and I was hospitalized. I had no seizures, was bored out of my mind and it cost me a lot.

The next time I went AF cold turkey with the help of Campral. My worst problem was getting to sleep and the HABIT of what to do with myself when not drinking also, my hubby drinks as much or more than me, we are codependent.

So some of us have bodies/chemistries that can detox okay. But I understand why my doc insisted on hospitalization the first time. Booze is the only drug one can detox cold turkey and literally die doing it! All other drugs one have various symptoms from but booze detox can kill.

So not knowing your chemistry but what you're describing sounding an extreme reaction, if you were my friend I'd say talk to your doc.

Better safe than sorry or dead. And there is no reason to suffer from symptoms if you can take something to help. Your chance of long term success is bound to be higher.

Good luck hon, post often, get into chat and we will talk you thru it. :l

Comment

Bad DT's

caseaday;775505 wrote: I am at about 20 per day right now and have tried to quit twice in the last two weeks but the DT's were so bad. Sweating, pounding head, muscle cramps. Misery. I spread out the drinking across the day and actually feel quite normal, but this needs to stop. Yesterday I had a muscle cramp in my left arm that left a bruise from my wrist all the way up to my elbow. I don't know what to do.
                    As others have said, you need to talk to a doctor now. Don't be scared - the alternative is way way worse. You must not try cold turkey on your own. If you insist on doing it yourself, taper down very very slowly. Here's a link - read it well.

How To Taper Off Alcohol

Take real real care of yourself. Come back on here and talk us through it. We're not going anywhere.

H.
                    "It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Comment

Bad DT's

Thanks for the link. I read it and it said that doctors in MN are legally required to send a person to inpatient detox for 72 hours. That would totally freak me out. I am a total Type A personality. Everyone would know that I was going in for detox if that happened!

Comment

Bad DT's

caseaday;775605 wrote: Thanks for the link. I read it and it said that doctors in MN are legally required to send a person to inpatient detox for 72 hours. That would totally freak me out. I am a total Type A personality. Everyone would know that I was going in for detox if that happened!
                        If you are going it alone, could I suggest that you at least call someone close and see if they'll be with you for the first stages. And taper it very carefully and slowly.

Thinking of you.
                        "It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Comment

Bad DT's

Hi Case, tapering is possible but I would imagine its very hard to be that disciplined.
                          Here is a thread from someone who did it successfully. I hope it helps.
                          And as Hartley says, if you can confide in someone, that would at least be something.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ggy-34156.html

Comment

Bad DT's

When I went thru w/d (and I'm talking too numerous too mention) I'd be on the couch, with dry heaves as soon as I woke up, muscle aches and a racing heartbeat. I was a vodka drinker. I would taper down by having 1 beer every 2+ hrs and try & sleep. Plenty of fluids and took Magnesium. Because I slept during the day, nightime I could not sleep so I would take an allergy pill (benedryl) to sleep. The next day I would have the shakes & stomach was "icky" but I would have no desire to drink. Oh & the frequent toilet trips....not too pleasant. And yes, the sweats but I had them in the daytime!

Oh what we put ourselves thru.

Good luck & I hope you feel well soon.
                            :notes:
                            My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Comment

Working...
                            X