Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd Share...

Hi All.

Something today brought to mind a book I'd read quite a while ago. In defending my drinking I often used the thought that "Everybody Drinks" so why not me too?

The book (cited below) made it perfectly clear that not many people drink as much as I do, and a very large number of people drink not at all or very little. I still don't know what they all do for fun, but I'm trying to figure that out for myself.

The information below is highlighted from the book "Control Your Drinking" by William R. Miller and Ricardo F. Munoz, pp. 31-32:

From a survey of 7,612 non-alcoholic US adults
    Percentage of people consuming alcohol at various frequencies of standard units.

Abstainers
    Men 34% Women 44%

5 or more drinks per week
    Men 24% Women 9%

10 or more
    Men 16% women 5%

15 or more
    Men 10% women 2%

20 or more
    Men 8% women
    Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Thought I'd Share...

hehehe, just before i quit I had cut down to 'only' 80-90 std drinks a week...
    spose im in the 1% grp...

thanx, it seems normal at the time.
    AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

That's scary to see in black and white. I was in the
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Weird to see in print, seems like everyone I know drinks and it is the norm. Who'd a thunk it?
        :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Scary stuff. I bet there's a number on here like myself who would have comfortably slotted into a 0.01% category of consumption.

Now isn't that something to be proud of.......???? Nothing like being an over-achiever.
          "It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Am I calculating this correctly??!!!
            I was drinking 2/3 of a 700ml bottle of the liquor of my choice every night. Within an hour, 1-1/2 hours tops. A chart I read says that a 700 ml bottle of whiskey (alc. 40% volume) contains 28 units. So I was consuming 18.7 units per day or 131 units a week!!! What category does that put me in? Thank God I found MWO...
            Stirly AKA "Freaked Out"
            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Interesting... I guess I am in the 2%, porobably 1. Not sure how many units are in wine, it can't be the same as liquor. I guess if I know how many are in one bottle, that would help. All I know is it's more the the NORM!

I think drinkers, like me, find drinkers. My whole life, since teen, I have found the drinkers. I found them in college, I find them at work (those that love going out for happy hour) I hang with the drinkers in my family at gatherings, I find them in the neighborhood - each one I've lived in. Heck, tonight I am having a holiday party for the moms of my daughters friends. There are drinkers in that group. I already have wine chilling and cookies made. I plan (and I am determined) to drink selzer tonight... I'll check in tomorrow, feeling good.

Good statistics, now I know there are other people out there not drinking. Where are they? What do they do? I'm going to find out!!

Sunnyside

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

A real eye opener!
                Not even sure what category I fell into :H
                Thanks for posting this!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Interesting stats. But I would be ASTONISHED if the first stat were true..

Men 34% Women 44%

1 in 3 men Never drink - and nearly 1 in 2 women NEVER drink??
                  Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

And someone who drinks 31 drinks a week isn't classed as some form of alcoholic?
                    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Vlad - I had the same thought. By the way the chart doesn't stop at 31 but goes up to 70+... but 31 drinks a week is "only" 4-5 per day on average.

Savon - you know what they say about liars and statistics... Here's the source they quoted:

"2000 National Alcohol Survey of 7612 US households. Alcohol Research Group, Berkley, CA. Courtesy of Dr. Robert Greenfield"

Take care.
                      Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Wow! An eye opener to the Nth degree.

I would have definitely been in the 1 percent someplace. 50-100+ beers a week for years.

Thanks for the stat.

com
                        Com1

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Well THERE'S a bit of perspective for ya ....
                          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Thought I'd Share...

Thanks Tranqwilly
                            I identify with you Sheri. I have drunk alone a lot in the last 15 years and told myself lies to justify it. Like how relaxing, how much fun, how I need it, how intelligent I am. I would stagger to bed in my clothes and makeup fall unconscious as I wouldn't call it sleeping, wake up and sometimes have some more.
                            You do lose perspective in a bottle. I won't drink tonight! Thats the best I can do for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X