the writing is on the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been drinking heavily for years. the bottle of wine is my best friend at night, and now that i've been unemployed, it also helps me get thru the day. What is the worst tho is the immediate feeling of dread and anxiety when i wake up. i wonder if just sleeping creates some sort of withdrawal. I just feel terrible - and drinking makes that feeling go away so i end up craving that feeling of relaxation. But, one glass of wine doesn't even touch it - it now takes 5 or 6 to not feel the dread and anxiety that emanates in my gut. I can't imagine life without alcohol - but i think i will die if i keep this up. Found this site this morning - and hope that i can get some help here

:welcome: Prom night,

Oh how I remember the dreaded anxiety and panic attacks in the morning that nothing would quiet but a few glasses of wine.

Any way,you've made a huge step today by coming here and posting.

You're in a good safe place where no-one judges. Read ,then read again the posts. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Have you made a plan? Thoughts of the goals you want to achieve?

Have a pop into the 'Newbies Nest' and say hello.

You're not alone anymore. We've all been in your shoes at one time or another.

J x
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Prom Night - and :welcome:!!

Great that you found this site. I know you will find that the people here are very encouraging and can relate.

It wasn't until I came on this site that I Really admitted to myself that I had a problem. And, of course, we can't begin to solve a problem if we don't think it exists!

I'm also unemployed (and have been for a Long time), so it was so easy to let my problem escalate! The anxiety of not working just adds to the anxiety Created by drinking. Vicious circle.

Take a look at some of the threads like ODAT (one day at a time) or Newbies Nest... Join in!

I am now 10 days AF (after many starts & stops...) - but I can honestly tell you that once you get past the first few days, you will start feeling so much better.

I was convinced when drinking that I was clinically depressed. But, guess what? I now feel much more optimistic and am able to enjoy my days SO much more.

Depressed/anxious -- Drink. Get MORE depressed/anxious --- drink more!!

ETC.

And I know that I'm one drink away from starting the cycle over again.

Good luck - keep reading & posting!
      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

working it out

It's a little confusing trying to navigate thru this site but i'm so glad i found it. I do believe that my depression is so connected to the drinking and i want to start a new life - one that is true to myself. thanks for the encouragement

Comment

You're so right Prom,

My depression was directly linked with my AL (alcohol) consumption along with my anxiety,and I can honestly say since I've gone AF (alcohol free) the depression has lifted and the anxiety is all but gone.

And on a lighter note. Navigating this site will keep your hands busy and keep them away from the dreaded bottle.

J x
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

HI Prom night,
            Welcome. I am on day 3 AF and I must say I do notice a big difference already in how I feel. I am nervous about Christmas coming up as my whole family drinks but as you will hear several times here. One day at a time. I have not gone through any with drawls yet, maybe I won't I drank 1 and a half bottles of white wine 5 days a week, I blacked out every time I drank so obviously that was too much for me. Don't mean to steal your thread just wanted to let you know you are not alone as my story is very close to yours. Keep posting and stick with us.
            Hangingon

Comment

Yup, white wine is my poison. Welcome Prom Night. There is plenty to read through on this site. It can keep you occupied for days. Let's all get through these Holidays with the least amount of damage. I know that I will feel better being AF. Keep checking back in with us.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Welcome Prom Night. It's good to have you here. MWO has really helped me get sober.
                I hope it works for you, too. Be strong and the best to you.
                See you around the boards!
                When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Hi Prom Night - lots of good advice from those above. We've all been through similar experiences. I'm a bit of an old fool with this stuff Al - off / on / off / on . Why would i think that the next time would be better or not end up in the same stinkin mess. I like the quote above. Tie that knot big and strong.
                  If you are in the uk your Gp will help you out with librium to remove the anxiety - this site has all the support you will need and lots of good advice. I'm definetly going to try their system. Each time i fall off the waggon the bangs get harder. Life can be sweet. You just need to remember Big Al is a Liar and a theif. Keep strong and i like your Handle you must have been something on a night out.

Comment

Hi Prom,
                    Have you thought of making a plan for going AF? Stopping suddenly could be dangerous - so at least read about what to expect from withdrawals and how to help yourself get through it. I found lots of water with tons of lemon juice helped.
                    Good for you for coming here, and keep posting and reading.
                    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                    AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X