Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODAT - Tuesday

Good Morning, ODATers!

Another chilly day in Florida & LOVIN' it!

Day 11. I'm not sure if I should make a goal. I was thinking I would say, one month - but my fear is that if I make the goal... I would Celebrate.

(Pretty sad!!)

So maybe I'll just keep doing this Day by Day. Not worry about making it to a certain point.

One thing I have to be careful of is to not take these sober days for granted. It would be easy to say, well, see - this isn't so hard after all, so why not take a day off? Which of course would get me right back into the pattern... eventually.

It does help to write these things down. They're just fuzzy thoughts until I make them clear to myself by writing.

Hope it helps someone else, too!

Anyway, have a great day, you guys!!
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

ODAT - Tuesday

ODATERS!!!

What a fine day to be feeling great, clear headed, full of energy!

Savy, the day after Christmas you will have 2 weeks. Now THAT is right cool! And a good goal too!

Everybody doing alright?

Go for the 0!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

Happy Tuesday All. Savon, what works for me is to focus on today. Just what I want to do, and plan. A treat like some good coffee, and my exercise session, and maybe some "me" thing in the evening. The key for me is to focus on things I can't do if I take a drink. I get it in my day plan, and then it makes it easy to do, because I would screw up my plan if I had a drink. Not sure if that makes sense. Today I'll do some xmas shopping for the spouse, do 26 mins on the cycle, coffee, and tonight I think I'll head to a local bookstore to look at travel books. Along with work and dinner that will get me to tomorrow, and that's all I'm thinking about right now.

I hope everyone gets one day closer to their goals today.

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

I think Christmas Day will be two weeks, Day 14.. JUST sayin!! lol.

OH gosh. Just thinking of goals makes me shaky. Better get to gym & get my mind off it!!
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

Yes, but you have to make it THROUGH the day, right?

If goals scare you, don't make them. I read a great post by boozehag this morning on a thread by kateh1 in long term abs. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...ing-38903.html And I mean "don't make them" in a positive way. Lots of people dont' - that's why this is the ODAT thread.

You might take a look at some threads in monthly abs and long term abs if you don't look there on a regular basis. I say this to you in particular savy as I am familiar with some of your issues.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

Hey all, Way to go Sav!
            Day 10, feeling OK. This is right around the time (1-2 weeks) when I've quit before that I start conversations with myself to give myself permission to drink again. "You're being too hard on yourself, enjoy life, moderation, etc." I would REALLY like to enjoy wine the next couple of days with friends and family. I was thinking this morning that Christmas morning will be the first morning I can remember that I didn't have a hangover. That will be nice. I had a dream last night that I had a glass of wine and felt really guilty. In my dream I debated whether or not to have more because I already had one. Then I woke up and for a moment wondered if I could still count today as 11. But I came to and realized hell, yeah. It was like I was given another chance. Anyway, just writing helps... Like your plan for today boss.man I will do the same...

Sunnyside

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

greeneyes;778559 wrote: Yes, but you have to make it THROUGH the day, right?

If goals scare you, don't make them. I read a great post by boozehag this morning on a thread by kateh1 in long term abs. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...ing-38903.html And I mean "don't make them" in a positive way. Lots of people dont' - that's why this is the ODAT thread.

You might take a look at some threads in monthly abs and long term abs if you don't look there on a regular basis. I say this to you in particular savy as I am familiar with some of your issues.
              It's funny - ten days used to be my limit when I was seriously drinking. Two years ago when I seriously started trying not to drink that extended. Around thirty days is my marker point where I endure a bad week or so and have often crumbled. The further away you get from the physical horrors and sheer misery, the more your mind says "relax, it'll be fine this time." Just shows rather than lessen the vigilance, you really have to re-double the efforts.

I'm ready for it this time but with my usual impeccable timing, I hit 30 on New Years Eve! But for now, I'm just happy that I will not drink today.
              "It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

sunnyside;778577 wrote: Hey all, Way to go Sav!
                Day 10, feeling OK. This is right around the time (1-2 weeks) when I've quit before that I start conversations with myself to give myself permission to drink again. "You're being too hard on yourself, enjoy life, moderation, etc." I would REALLY like to enjoy wine the next couple of days with friends and family. Sunnyside
                Hi Sunny.
                Funny, when I read your post it reminded me of something I had written to myself a month or so ago, before I discovered MWO. I had been thinking about how much I drank every night and this is what I wrote –“You’re being too easy on yourself. You’re getting away with murder one day at a time, and the victim is YOU
                !!”
                I wrote it down and stuck it on my desk, hoping that some evening soon after, when I was sitting at my PC about the time that “witching hour” was approaching, that I would find the strength to not drink and wouldn’t grab that damn bottle. Wouldn’t unleash that demon that can bring a 95-pound woman or a 350-pound man to their knees with the same ease, with just a slight movement of the hand. One drink. That’s all it takes. And the demon grabs us and holds us in it’s grip until we are motionless. It pee’s me off and scares me at the same time.
                Moderation? It seems that unfortunately it is only for a few. I tried it on the weekend. Thought I would “treat” myself to just a drink or two. To prove that I could do it. I woke up the next morning feeling like “crap warmed over”. Excuse the expression but I am a loss to find something that describes it better without resorting to swear words.
                So I congratulate you on 10 days AF :goodjob: and it was with pleasure that I read the rest of your post. That you re-thought it. That you felt as if you'd been given a second chance and would grab it.
                Of course the thought of a nice glass of wine with family and friends is a pleasant thought. It is for all of us. And for most of us, it simply can't be done. So if you're tempted and you feel the urge getting stonger, why not 'treat" yourself to something - a facial, a massage, a manicure? Anything that will get your mind off the wine and onto something else. And if that doesn't work, try reading this again - your own words - “I am on Day 6 AF and I decided to quit for many reasons, but mostly embarrassment. My 12 year old daughter and all her friends saw me completely sloshed Saturday night - not to mention all the stupid things I said to their moms that were here. I don't remember much of the night but I do remember the look of disgust one girl gave me.”
                I'm not trying to be smart ass or preachy. This is the only way I know to offer support. By being straightforward.
                Congrats again and take care. And I hope so much that you can continue the good job.
                Stirly:huggy:huggy
                For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

ODAT - Tuesday

Stirly,

I don't know what else to say but THANK YOU. I'm sorry you had a slip up over the weekend but we are all human. The good news is is you are here, we all are, working towards being the person we really want to be and not letting AL control us.

I will say your little 'nudge' of reality with my previous post hit hard. I appreciate it. And, it helped get me through another party last night, thank you. In my mind I was kicking and screaming like a baby that wants her bottle but I got through it. Day 11.

One of my beliefs in life has always been "if you're not happy in a situation, change it" It's as simple as that. You have the power. I just have to keep convincing myself that a life with AL is not happy, that becomes the tricky part. That's why now, so early into this, I have to keep reliving the bad to know I don't want that. But, you know that too. That's why you posted it. Thank you again...

Sunnyside

Comment

Working...
                  X