realizing I need to stop for good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I screwed up and about two weeks ago I drank like crazy for the weekend. It's odd that sometimes I can control myself and sometimes not stop. I am beginning to think it is all in my genes no matter how much I want to think I can learn other behavior. I come from a long line of heavy drinkers. SO, I think I need to quit and give up on moderation.

New Eagle,
    The holidays have been killer for me. I drank too much two nights ago, and feel really upset, disgusted, all the bad feelings. Yet, at other times I just don't drink or drink a little. My father quit drinking at around my age, and it was just a life transforming thing for him. I respect him so much for it. It is in my genes too. My grandfather just quit drinking at some point, after making everyone miserable, the story goes. So, it is a family thing. I too have to make up my mind No More Alcohol.
    Redhibiscus

Comment

New Eagle and Redhibiscus,

I am at that point too where I have to designate AF days or no AL at all. Like both of you, I can stop sometimes and sometimes not. I have alcoholism on both sides of my family and feel that I have this predisposition for alcoholism already in my genes. Two books I've found very helpful....Controlling Your Drinking and How To Quit Drinking Without AA. The holidays have been fun but horrible when it comes to indulging....and then, why do I pick up the phone when I've been drinking? I think no one notices that I'm trashed but of course, they can tell right away. I was talking to a friend Saturday night and she called me back on Sunday and told me she could tell I was absolutely smashed. I was so ashamed because I just vaguely remember the conversation and of course, I can't remember anything I said. This has got to stop.

Comment

yep - DUI - dialing while under the influence. Ugly. Not a good side effect.
        Good for you, Eagle, to realize you have to give up AL. It comes begging back though, the beast.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
        AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Hi NewEagle, red, Rusty & Tulipe,

I have been where you all are right now - facing the fact that you just cannot drink!!!!

I actually found it to be a great relief to hit that wall, to know & accept the fact that I have to give it up! I felt a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders. No more worrying, plotting or planning. No more hangovers, anxiety & guilt. No more drunk calling or emailing!

Going AF means you can look forward to total freedom, improved physical & emotional health & rebuilding the relationships you may have damaged along the way

Wishing all of you the very best in taking this very important step!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

some people can moderate,imo most people who come here can not, they have gone to far over the line,if you have felt you cant moderate now try and stop for at least 30 days and see how you feel,it should give you a good indication of where your at.

Comment

NewEagle -

A LOT of people come here wanting to moderate at first. Experiment a while with that until they come to the same conclusion.

Like me. It is what it is...
              Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
              X