10 Days AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Days AF

I joined MWO in August 2009, this is the first time I have made it 10 days AF - I'm still trying to make deals with myself; but my goal is 30 days right now and then from there I will reassess. I didn't start really drinking until I was in my 40's. At first I would say my drinking was normal but in 2002 I had a gastric bypass surgery. It seems that within a few years of that surgery; by 2004, my drinking was more than usual. I started out becoming a daily drinker at two glasses a day, then it went to three and rarely four. Then about two months ago, due to some marital issues, all hell broke lose - I started drinking in the day and evening and before I knew it I was drinking a bottle a day and usually another glass from another bottle - I decided after one very anxiety filled night that it was time to stop and I just stopped. I'm trying to decide if I need to be AF or if I can moderate? I know that I would like a glass of wine now, but because my goal is 30 days, I'm working through it; I want to make those 30 days and see how much better I feel. Right now, I'm very tired and having sleeping issues, but I haven't had a hangover, haven't not remembered what I did or said and saved alot of money in the last 10 days. I'm thinking of putting my savings into an account for my trip to a warmer climate.

Thanks for this site, it gives me a place to relate to others experiences, thoughts and feelings.:thanks:

10 Days AF

:goodjob: crusintrulife 10 days is good,keep to your plan of 30 days and then you will know yourself what you want to do.the choice is always our own.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

10 Days AF

Congrats on the AF 10 days! I have read research about gastric bypass patients who go on to develop other addictions after the surgery. Have you read about that? Gastric bypass patients are very at-risk for addiction.

Keep up the good work. There's no way you are going to feel anything but BETTER about yourself!

Peace.

Comment

10 Days AF

Congradulations on 10 day AF.......I think you are right to give it a good 30 days...that is where I started and have never looked back to my alcohol induced days...I am now a non drinker and loving life no matter how many of life problems come my way....stay strong ...you are well on your way...all the best ....
        :heart:AF since May 31 2008.....Happy and Healthy

Comment

10 Days AF

Hi, Cruisin, welcome!

First, congratulations on 10 days AF! Second, keep going for that first 30 days.

My advice would be to really examine your relationship to AL. When it consumes our thoughts, or we do that "I'd really like one right now..." we are already in too deep, in my opinion. We need to be 100% honest with ourselves about this (whether we tell anyone else is unimportant - lying to ourselves though....).

Women in their 40s and 50s seem to be particularly vulnerable to AL - I don't know if it's hormonal or what, or it just catches up with us at this age - but the effects are more extreme. I really began to feel some different (and far worse) effects besides just hangovers. We also seem to need more and more. That right there is a big red flag.

Listen to your own wisdom - if it says an AF life is the way to go, know that that's the truth. If that idea is too scary, bite it into as tiny of chunks as you need - one day, hour, or minute at a time. I intend on being AF forever, but even forever starts with right now, and only right now. That is all I have control over. So I use "one day at a time" still - it does get easier as your AF time gets longer. I have been AF for nearly 5 months now after 36 years of drinking. Using the valuable information and support on this forum has made it a lot easier, but in the end it is down to me to do the actual work.

I wish you much success in whatever you do - just be truthful with yourself.

Much love! - Dance
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
          X