Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two weeks itch???

Dear friends,

Two weeks since New Year today and I find myself thinking more about wine than in the first days. Why is it? Why is it easy for me to go through the first days and weaken after accomplishing two weeks?
    Yes, I feel much better physically, more energy, clear headed, more optimistic - why cravings now?
    I am NOT going to drink, but curious if there is some reasons for the two weeks itch and if anybody else is experiencing similar symptomps?
    "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Two weeks itch???

Hi New
    Really have felt this one, I call it the fifteen day itch. Been there four times and gave in each time so be careful. It really passes, but I think it happens to me anyway cos for the first week or so its all new and minute by minute you feel like you're achieving something, first hour sober first monday sober first weekend sober first 3 days in a row sober first week sober....... and then its a bit samey and the reality of this is forever begins to peek in ( I know its supposed to be a day at a time ) but you do think sometimes what is it all about. Also the physical changes and mental changes sort of level out a bit after a couple of weeks and the results don't seem to be there to be seen, of course we can't see inside us livers etc!! I have gone past 30 days twice and definitely plan that this is it this time, it has to be my life is falling apart with alcohol, so this little bit of restleness and yes boredom is not going to catch me this time ( I'm on day 7) I went sober for christmas and new year and like a stupid bored little child did day 15 AGAIN on Jan 5th, Don't do it, it passes
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Two weeks itch???

Wine - heck with that. GIMME SOME LOBSTA!!!! (love your avatar!)

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty common to experience strong urges from time to time, for quite awhile. At least that was true for me. Thankfully, I really haven't had any strong urges lately. But they still do happen every once in awhile. I just know they will come and I know I won't give in.

Early in my sobriety, I made a LOOONNGGG list of things I wanted to do. Some were chore type things, but I made sure to include fun type things too. Books I wanted to read, local activities or things like museums to see, stuff like that. Then when a strong urge would hit, I didn't have to *think* and find something to do. I could just pull out my list. Made it easy to find a distraction and get my mind off the urge.

I drank for over 30 years - most of that time on a daily basis. Old habits die hard. But they DO die eventually.

Strength and hope to you - HANG IN THERE. The nice thing if you STAND FIRM and don't give in to the urges is that you never will have to go through Day 1, Week 1, Month1, ever again.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Two weeks itch???

Hi New,

I feel much the same. Am on day 13 af today but the last couple of days have been worse than the first week. Don't know why but for me I think I haven't really thought about changing other things so I am still doing the same routine just with a different drink (non al) in my hand. I just need to get motivated. My resolve is still strong to not buy any and I did walk right past the bottle shop yesterday and did not go in and it felt good. I think its al messing with our heads!!! Stay strong
        Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

Two weeks itch???

I just had a great dinner and made myself a cup of tea and feel much better. Another evening turned into a victory!
          I think Mollyka is right that boredoom sets in while the excitement wears out.
          My trigger was listening to Julia Child's memoir of living in France - they drink wine on every page!
          Also noticed that eating sea food triggers memories of white wine. It would be great to be able to have one... Reality check - one glass turns into one bottle and desire to have more. I know better...
          Hence, no sea food and no wine!
          Two weeks is a huge accomplishment - let's keep going.
          "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Two weeks itch???

Well done New, you are doing really well
            I am on day 14 A/F today and my day has only just started, I just try and keep busy and think about the good I am doing for myself and my family by keeping sober, I have been here twice before but this time this is for keeps. I know if I pick up a drink now I wont only be letting myself down big time I will also be letting my family down! Is'nt it a good feelling being in control of your life.....im loving being A/F and I wish you the best of luck
            Love Ronnie
            :dancin: enguin:
            starting over

Comment

Two weeks itch???

Well Done New Me, Mollyka and Mazzie! You three could be great support to each other, experiencing many of the same experiences during the same time period! I had a group like this when I was starting out and we really helped each other!

I can pretty much Ditto exactly what Doggygirl said. I wish that I could tell you that you stop drinking, have a couple of weeks sober and then it is Easy Street. But, that is not what my experience has been. During my first year of sobriety, there were many ups and downs with cravings and urges. Not to mention the tricky thinking that....Just maybe, I could have just one glass. Thankfully I did not give in! And yes those urges are far less frequent these days, but I still stay on guard with many tools to distract me!

So, stay strong, All....get enough rest and exercise and continue to build your Tool Box!

Best Wishes,
              Kate
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Two weeks itch???

New,

Can't offer any advice because the longest I've gone is 8 days. I am now on my second try at being AF and I'm on day 7. I agree with Ronnie Maz and Doggy that you have to find something to fill the void. Weekends will be the hardest for me. I really admire you for accomplishing two weeks - that is AWESOME! Just hang on to the fact that you are not hurting yourself physically anymore. Everyone around you is so much better off for your brave choice to give up the AL. I wish you all the best!
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Two weeks itch???

I have been in the same boat in the past. With me it was a combination of the novelty of not drinking starting to wear off right around the time I thought "I have this thing beat" and "maybe just one" both thoughts which bring someone teetering closer to the slippery slope downward again. Work through the cravings and they will get less intense as the alcohol free time starts accumulating.

Best
                  2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Two weeks itch???

Hi All
                    One question can anyone really answer who has done any length of time AF, does it really really get easier? Is it like giving up cigarettes? I gave up 20 years ago and so rarely think of them actually I don't at all. I would love to think so could work through the cravings if I thought that was true
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Two weeks itch???

Hi Molly,

I asked much the same question on a different forum and got a resounding yes as an answer. I am 2 weeks af today so am in the land of the hopeful and I am sure this will be the case. Not sure just how long it will take to get to that stage and I suppose we are all different anyway. But I think it will happen but I also think we would probably always need to be watchfull and careful about letting down our guard.

Hopefull there'll be some answers from some long term af'ers who can be of more help.
                      Stay strong!
                      Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

Two weeks itch???

mollyka;791111 wrote: Hi All
                        One question can anyone really answer who has done any length of time AF, does it really really get easier? Is it like giving up cigarettes? I gave up 20 years ago and so rarely think of them actually I don't at all. I would love to think so could work through the cravings if I thought that was true
                        It is a LOT easier for me today than it was at first. I too am an ex-smoker. For me, there have been some similarities and some differences. The first 3 months of quitting nicotine was a bit harder for me I think, than quitting the booze was, if that is possible. Because both were very difficult. I felt CRAZIER and NUTTIER during that initial period without nicotine I think. Doing without cigarettes seemed to get a tad easier (though still not a walk in the park by any means) after about 100 days. I will be 3 years quit in February, and I rarely think of smoking and I truly cannot imagine ever smoking again. I don't ever fantasize about it - no "just one" thinking or anything like that.

Alcohol didn't seem quite as CRAZY although it was difficult at first. BUT...for me the thinking that could potentially lead to me drinking is taking much longer to subside. They say that alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful, and for me that is true.

I feel I have developed good tools and strategies to stay sober, and I know what to do when/if the urge strikes. But I feel I have to be quite a lot more "on guard" these days with regard to alcohol than I do with nicotine. Maybe that will change with more sober time. I can only describe how it is for me (not for others) and how it is today.

The good news is that many people DO manage to get sober and stay sober for good. If they can do it, then maybe I can too. And if I can do it, maybe you can too.

Strength and hope to you all,

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Two weeks itch???

The two week point was often difficult for me. I think it's because the memory of the negative consequences can begin to fade at that time, and it's when you can also begin to think that having been in control for this long, maybe it wasn't so bad after all, maybe it's possible to control your intake... Eventually I came to realise what this was i.e. the addiction itself talking to me.

Everyone is perhaps different. At three weeks a better feeling would start to kick in for me, maybe the 'pink cloud' effect that people talk about. But I slipped up several times last year at the one month mark. Once I started getting to two months, I found that the constant obsessive thoughts started to fade, which was a blessing. But I still find a need to be careful each day and stay in contact with my addictions counsellor. I attribute my being three months sober right now to his help and to Campral medication, which I will continue to take for a few more months yet. I wish now that I'd sought help earlier, rather than trying to do so much on my own.

Be good to yourself during the first 30 days, take it one day at a time and I hope you can hang in there.

Comment

Working...
                          X