Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MWO book......

Hi

Hope everyone is ok today. Day 8 for me today.

My MWO book has just arrived, I've only read a few pages and Roberta Jewell seems to talk alot about this book being a program to moderate drinking? I'm a little worried to continue, I really dont want to be guided in to thinking that moderation is the way to go, because honestly for me it is not. It would probably start there and go down hill quickly until I was back to square one.

Should I continue? I know she did mention also that it could be used for abstinence, but is it focused more on the moderation side??

Thanks xxxx

MWO book......

hi northgirl and welcome
    I have never read the book so i cant pass comment on it,but i would continue on reading it,the more knowledge you have the better,there is a long term abstainers thread here,maybe you can check that out.The main thing for me is to use the books and forums as a guide into getting a plan for yourself as at the end of the day it is down to oneself to stop.goodluck and keep posting and reading.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

MWO book......

Hi Northgirl,

Northgirl;793309 wrote: I really dont want to be guided in to thinking that moderation is the way to go
      No, neither would I! I'd be on dangerous ground reading a book telling me that moderation was possible because I might start to believe it.

There are plenty of books out there about abstinence - some people like Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Drinking, some people don't but at least it won't make you think that moderation is a possibility.

Congrats on day 8 - that's great!
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

MWO book......

NorthGirl,

Many people, including myself, were attracted to MWO and Roberta's book because we "thought" we could moderate. Like others, I found out how wrong I was! There is a solid group of people who are very serious about abstinence. Check out Long Term Abstainers and Monthly Abstainence. There is a great "tool box" thread in Monthly Abstainence and also a AF daily thread, and AA thread. You will find much inspiration and practical advice in these places.

I stay away from moderation threads and from any books on moderating. I don't want my brain to entertain the thought.

M3
        AF Since April 20, 2008
        4 Years!!!
        :lilheart:

Comment

MWO book......

Hi Northgirl,

You are doing great - don't worry!
          I think we all take away something a little different from the book. It is entirely up to you to decide what is best for you! I read the book, did my 30 AF days then asked myself if I was ready for just 1 drink. The answer was a resounding NO & I probably never will be!!!!

I decided at that time to stay AF and I have with the continued support of everyone here at MWO!

You can do it too
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

MWO book......

Hi Northgirl,

Like so many others here....I was first drawn to the thought that I could actually "Learn" to control my drinking and moderate. Very quickly I learned that was not true in my case. I also realized that I did not want to have to take a drug in order to control my drinking. This was My Personal decision and not a judgment on those that choose to do so.

I did use many ideas in the book to stop drinking completely. The book also made it obvious to me that Total Abstinence was truly the only way for me. So, I guess I can say that the book truly helped me to find my way out. Another major factor in my recovery was the comraderie and support of other Abbers here.

I am very happy to report, that, Today, I have no desire to drink at all. Moderating is not an attractive thought! I am very happy that alcohol is out of my life!

I hope that you stick around and share and find your way too!

Best Wishes!
            Kate
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

MWO book......

Hi, Northgirl -

I too came here hoping to moderate - part of me didn't want to completely stop, and as big a part was afraid I couldn't. I knew in my heart I had to. I am glad to have followed the examples and advice of some long term abbers, and am now past 5 months AF.

I haven't read the book, but I do use the suggested supplements and hypnotherapy CDs. There is a set of CDs for abstinence available, as well as the original ones.

What's important is where you want to be - I also avoid the moderation threads - for me it will never be an option. I always try to look at what works (or what doesn't, and don't do that!).

Congratulations on 8 days, and good luck on your journey. Much love! :h
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

MWO book......

I highly recommend you read the book MWO whether your goal is to abstain or to mod. It is a wealth of information and research.
                There are very easy to follow dosage charts and schedules should you choose to use the recommended supplements or any one of the meds mentioned (Topa etc).

I also found the "additional resources" a huge help.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                X