i just need to sleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just need to sleep!

I, like so many others, am a functioning health care worker hiding her drinking problem. It started when I was in college and Id have to be up at 5 in the morning for clinicals...sleep meds made me groggy to using alcohol to sleep seemed like a logical solution...2 shots and I was out. But more and more I came to rely on this...now its every day/ night and I can take 3 or 4 and still not sleep and when I do i wake up soon after...so what do I do? MORE BOOZE! OF COURSE! I feel like an idiot....I have a great job that I love, the best boyfriend in the world...and I drink like a moron. I just get so stressed about not sleeping, and I have to sleep - I dont want people DYING cause I was sleep deprived and missed something. And to top it off Im working all kinds of crazy hours: like tonight Im third shift , tomorrow second, and friday first. how is ANYONE supposed to sleep like that? And now I've been doing this so long Im scared of withdrawl, I drink half a pint to a pint every day...I know I can drink socially fine, I just need to figure out how to relax and sleep without it. Please help....I dont want to die now- Im finally happy

i just need to sleep!

same here

you sound similar to me Xoey.. I dont have many answers for you. But i understand the insomnia and of course the alcohol problem. It makes lessening or quitting totally much harder when you can not go home at night and go to sleep. instead i stay awake till i get myself so tired, up till three am in order to pass out ( on nights im not drinking myself to sleep) life is really tough for me with the alcohol problem and health problems such as insomnia. at this point i kind of just accept being exhausted. i havent had a good nights sleep in at least a year. right now im af for the first time in about a year for a week and a half. my drinking became really bad when i had no job. i had to take a break. i take antabuse and baclofen. i feel the baclofen helping the alcohol problem and so far helps my insomnia alot it seems.. and others. maybe try that? go into the topomax, baclofen, medication thread here on my way out for more information. also, 5htp, l-tryptophan are supplements that help insomnia and depression.. u can order them online.

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Welcome xoey and good job posting! There are tons of people who will support you here. I understand about drinking getting out of control ~ we all do. It's insidious, isn't it? Yeah.

I work in health care too and have worked crazy hours. I drank to "sleep" at times, others to forget, others to relieve a very stressful career...it doesn't work. I am getting the best sleep I've had in years and consistently since giving up the sauce. It took about less than a week without alcohol before my sleeping really became deep and wonderful like it is now. I take melatonin at bedtime and read in bed for about 20 minutes then out like a light and, best of all, I sleep through the whole night now! You can have it too, for sure, but alcohol will steal that kind of sleep from you.

I swear by the supplements too. Have you read the book? It's available here online and you can get it right away on your computer. Stick around, xoey! You can do this and feel so much better very soon.

Comment

i just need to sleep!

thanks I actually started crying at the thought of sleeping so well. Im trying to tell myself that even if I have a hard time sleeping, 4 hours of resting sober is better that 4 under sedation. When I get home in the morning I'm not going to drink...Im just going to go curl up with my boyfriend and hope for the best. Wish me luck, I'll post tomorrow how it goes

Comment

i just need to sleep!

:welcome: Xoey
          make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Oh xoey, I totally get that...tears over sleeping. You used to sleep well before alcohol and you will again. It will take a little time to sort itself out, but you are going to feel better. The first morning I woke up and realized I'd had more than 4 straight hours, I thought I was gonna explode with happiness -- and that was not too long ago. You may be edgy and unable to rest well for a few days, but you're not resting well now ~ so what's the difference. Just give it a shot. Try to get some melatonin from your local health food store and there are many supplements that can help with cravings (L-glutamine and evening primrose and kudzu). Relearning how to soothe ourselves takes work. Curl up with your boyfriend and ride it out. Come on back here all you need. Helped me greatly in the first few days.

Sending peaceful thoughts your way.

Comment

i just need to sleep!

That is VERY hard when you keep changing shifts - whether you drink or not!!

But I've found Advil PM to be good for those times when I'm having trouble sleeping. Unlike prescription sleep-aids, I don't wake up with that drugged, groggy feeling.
              Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

i just need to sleep!

going to lay down...no alcohol. Funny how being accountable, even to those I've never met, makes it easier... hope I can sleep!

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Xoey,

I can relate to this. For starters, I will reiterate something you will of course already be aware of: alcohol disrupts normal sleep.

I used to tell myself that I needed a few drinks to fall asleep, but in reality in was just an excuse to give myself that first drink, which, of course, was my addicted brain's ticket to oblivion. Ironically, after passing out I would awaken 3 to 4 hours later and be unable to get back to sleep.

I would advise seeing a doctor if you haven't already. Insomnia is a very frustrating condition that is best not treated with alcohol.

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Hi Xoey
                    Sleep was one of the biggest problems I had when I thought about giving up Al. I knew I would never sleep without some aid so used the booze, wonderful to go unconscious but not so good at 3 AM wide awake thirsty headachey anxious etc. and knowing the next sleep wouldnt happen till you're tanked up again. The first week AF is hard trying to sleep, my GP gave me sleeping tablets, wasn't keen on them cos they left me headachey and exhausted the next day but at least I slept a couple of nights, stopped them then took a librium the next two nights, much better and since then sleeping unaided really well and now full of beans. Still stay up till about midnight to make sure I'm good and tired but that could be more down to my age ( I'm in my early 50's) and actually don't need as much sleep as I used to anyway, regardless of Al. Irregular working hours must be a bitch to deal with, anyway good luck with all this and keep posting!!
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Hello and :welcome:

You should try Melatonin or BeCalm. All natural and they really help.

Good Luck
                      :l
                      :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Hi Xoey, and welcome!
                        Why don't you have a go at 30 day's af? Alway's an interesting exercise for us, and there are certainly no negatives at all in doing it. Check out the 'Toolbox' thread and get yourself a plan. You may need medical advice re withdrawal's, as this can be dangerous. Shake it up friend!

Best wishes, G-Love.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

i just need to sleep!

xoey, i drink to sleep too, today is my day 3 and I had about an hours sleep in the past 2 days, i have a family i love, security, everything so why do i drink every night? who know's ? I don't but I am going to beat this, so much love and help here, good luck, cuddle up and try to sleep, that's what my husband alway's say's to me when I complain I can't, give me cuddle and go to sleep, if only it was that simple, love and hug's Tawnywitch
                          Twitch

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Hi oxey,

6 hours of disturbed of disturbed,sweaty sleep. Waking up hungover and anxious.

VERSUS

4 hours of true sober sleep and waking up looking forward to the day.

I choose the 4 hour option every time.

J x
                            It could be worse, I could be filing.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

i just need to sleep!

Librium will help you detox and sleep. It's important to follow a doctor's prescription or research dosage as you should be tapiring down/off as soon as you're AF. I have done this before and am doing it again. It's a painless way to detox but you don't want to get addicted to Benzos. Finally, whatever you do; do not drink and take Librium combined. I used to have laisse faire attitude about that and truly did get myself into a mess worse than simply drinking. I would also put a second plan in place either in sych or immediately after you're off of Librium to reduce future cravings or binge drinking.

I hope that helps and feel free to PM... sleep is my thing.
                              H/S

Comment

Working...
                              X