First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post

Hi Everyone:new: - I've read some of your stories and feel lucky not to have had to face some of the things you have, but also pathetic because I just can't explain my need to drink. My story reads a bit like Roberta Newells' - on the outside everything really is perfect - everyone I know would say I am (and I usually feel) a really 'together' person. I don't need to drink for courage - I often drink less the more sociable or busy I am: I drink when I'm on my own or with my husband/family. God knows why - they are lovely, fantastic people who don't know about the 'extra' drinks I sneak. I've been drinking since I was a student - on and off, sometimes controlled, sometiimes not, but now I feel my health is bound to start suffering and I have to get it under control. If I can do it, today will be my first AF day for over 6mo. I think I need to abstain for a while before I try moderation. I've sent off for the CDs and book - not sure about the meds as it would mean facing up to a doctor - I also really want to 'fix' myself. So, I'll keep reading your stories tonight and try to be kind to myself. In a previous attempt to stop drinking, I found this - I think it's very sad, but sums up how I feel about drinking - I just can't stop falling in the hole!

Autobiography in Five Chapters
    By Portia Nelson

Chapter I

I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost... I am helpless.
    It isn't my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter II

I walk down the same street.
    I pretend I don't see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it isn't my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter III

I see it is there.
    I still fall in...it's a habit.
    My eyes are open.
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

Chapter IV

I walk around it.

Chapter V

I walk down another street.
    "there's a crack, there's a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

First Post

:welcome: Jane,

Have a try at 30 days AF and then review your situation. You never know you may decide to stay AF.

Have a look in the tool box to get you started on your plan.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Keep reading,keep posting. Please let us know how you're getting along.

Wishing you all the luck in the world whichever path you choose.

J x

:l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

First Post

Great to see you Jane, and Welcome!
      You can do this, and you can be anywhere in this beautiful life, and anything you want to be. Have you read the 'Toolbox' thread in monthly abstinence section yet? Essential reading.

Best wishes, and Go for it!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

First Post

Hi Jane!!! I liked very much poem which you found..Today is my 1st day too...I was drinking almost every day for 2 years, so with your 6 months you're more lucky to start now...I wish i found this site 2 years ago ..But i didn't realize that i have a real problem..Now i know..The first step for me was to admit that fact..Take care!!!
        The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
        /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

First Post

hi jane and welcome,hope you stick around and give yourself a new chance in life.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

First Post

Thanks everyone for your welcome - made it to the end of the day! I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the forum idea, but I honestly have a sense that I'm not on my own and that there are lots of people feeling how I feel, which is a comfort I've never had before: always thought I was very odd! Sleep well....
            "there's a crack, there's a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Comment

First Post

Jane Thompson;797740 wrote: Thanks everyone for your welcome - made it to the end of the day! I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the forum idea, but I honestly have a sense that I'm not on my own and that there are lots of people feeling how I feel, which is a comfort I've never had before: always thought I was very odd! Sleep well....
              :nutso:your not alone and your not odd,not here anyway keep posting we can help.:nutso:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

First Post

Welcome Jane. Thanks for the very wise quote, hopefully you will join us. :welcome:
                Enlightened by MWO

Comment

First Post

Hi Jane,

Welcome to MWO, congrats on your start!
                  I do recommend reading the book & using the CDs - very helpful.
                  I did not use any meds or even the supplements. It is entirely up to you to decide what to do or not do.
                  I agree with the others that mentioned getting 30 AF days under your belt before attempting moderate drinking. I myself decided to stay AF & happy that I did.

Please feel free to drop in the 'Newbies Nest' thread, let us know how you are doing
                  Best wishes on your journey!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                  X