The Screaming Brain (a 2-act play)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed a lot of posts about alcohol cravings among newbies this past week. Since I'm a newbie myself and am just starting to gain confidence in my ability to resist alcohol urges, I decided to share the following light-hearted dialogue below, in the hope that it helps emphasize how illusory our alcohol cravings can be.

Principal Characters:

My Addicted Brain
    My Better Judgment

Scene 1, Friday at 9pm

Addicted Brain: I'm bored. I think knocking back a few whiskeys is in order.

Better Judgment: You've been doing so well, why would you want to throw away all your progress for a night of drinking?

Addicted Brain: Who cares! I WANT a drink! I NEED a drink! Drinking brings me pleasure and I deserve to feel pleasure whenever I want, regardless of the circumstances.

Better Judgment: In the past, think of all the times you've gone a few weeks without alcohol and then given into your cravings. Can you honestly think of a single occasion where you didn't regret your decision?

Addicted Brain: So what. That only proves my point, that life without alcohol makes for a boring life! Clearly if life were enjoyable without alcohol, I would've refrained from giving in those times.

Better Judgment: How can you say that? For the past 13 years you have associated enjoying life and experiencing pleasure with alcohol. In fact, over the past 5 years you have essentially EXCLUSIVELY associated pleasure with alcohol, at the expense of more productive endeavours.

Addicted Brain: That's bullshit. I've enjoyed other things.

Better Judgment: Name some of these things. What productive things have you done in your spare time over the past 5 years? Be honest.

Addicted Brain: [ silence ]

Better Judgment: That's what I thought. Moreover, have you really given the sober life a try? How can you sit there and claim that a life without alcohol means a life without pleasure when you've only quit drinking for 13 days. It took you years to develop your drinking habits, which is why it's plain dubious to expect a life without alcohol to magically appear better at the outset. It takes time. You need to develop new habits and really give this sober thing a chance.

Addicted Brain: Well, perhaps I'll do that next week or so, but tonight I WANT to drink! I NEED to drink!

Better Judgment: You've said this many times in the past, and as history has proven, postponing the decision to commit to an alcohol-free existence is no easier if you put it on the shelf for a while. The best time to quit is now.

Addicted Brain: I admit, this makes sense, but I still WANT TO DRINK!!! I need it!!

Better Judgment: I'll tell you what. If you can honestly give me one credible reason why you should drink tonight, amidst the myriad problems alcohol has caused for you over the past 5 years, I'll personally pour you the first drink. Please, go ahead.

Better Judgment: I'm waiting.

Better Judgment: That's what I thought. You have no solid reason to drink. Rather, like a spoiled child used to getting his or her way, you're whining about not getting to drink DESPITE the full knowledge of what it has done to you.

Addicted Brain: Fine. [ walks away sulking ]

Scene 2, Saturday at noon

Addicted Brain: Wow, I feel great today. Maybe there is something to this sobriety thing. I'm glad you convinced me not to drink last night.

Better Judgment: You're welcome [ smiling ]

I like it! Very well put, JB! :H
    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Beautifully put,JB.
      J x
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

That is good! :H

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Oh, I had my share of such conversations. Excellent stuff.
          Why don't you write one about the brain after it has had one drink and justifies having more (from the memory of the past, of course)
          "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Jim, an excellent and thoughtful post, thank you. I will read and re-read.
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Terrific.
              Alcohol is poison to my life - AF 04 January 2010

Comment

Better Judgment: That's what I thought. You have no solid reason to drink. Rather, like a spoiled child used to getting his or her way, you're whining about not getting to drink DESPITE the full knowledge of what it has done to you.

OMG you have written about me! How did you know???

LOL

Thank JB you made me smile.
                I finally got it!
                "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

I have had this conversation so many times, I will listen to better judgement this time, thank you.

Comment

brilliant

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Very nice JB
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Absolutely brilliant, JB.

Would you consider putting this in the Tool Box thread?

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

This is GREAT J.B. So freaking true. How we wrestle with our damn addicted brain!

Thanks so much for posting, Im definately going to read this one again and again when needed.

Overit
                          I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X