I am new and I need your help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. I need your help. Been drinking for many years, and know I have to cut way back. But today I got bad news from my doctor about my elevated cholesterol, elevated sugar levels, blood issues, and of course liver issues. I see him tomorrow to discuss this but I know what it is from. I don't want to go to AA because I don't think the program is for me.
    Right now I am unemployed as I was laid off in the Fall which has made the issue even worse. I am actively looking for a job. The financial pressure, however, is very intense.
    I am sure some of you are in the same boat. But I know I can beat this. Drinking a lot of water, eating a lot of fruits/vegies, and I have cut back a lot. But with the doctor calling, I should stop completely. I poured the 1/2 gallon of Vodka down the sink today, can't have it in the house. I figured that was the best place to start. I would appreciate your thoughts & comments. I could use your help since you have been here before me. Thank you all.:new:lease:

Hey Beauty So glad you found us. Vodka was my hard liquor of choice too.:welcome: I stopped for 36 days using campral and another 25 using L Glut only.

I didn't go for AA very much myself. But people here are great and we have a variety of people. I've made some good friends here.

I'm sorry you are out of work. I think if I had to stay home I would have a hard time NOT drinking. What is you work experience?

Read all about us and if you feel like it go into chat, some of us check for people in there. I'm at work now so I don't have access to chat. Probably just as well ;_)

Comment

Welcome Beauty,
      Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting rid of the vodka and going for the fruit and veges is a great place to start.
      As far as the Dr. goes, at least you will know where you are physically, so you can work towards doing the right things to help your body heal. This site is a great place to get support...lots and lots of good people here.
      Once again, welcome and do stick around.
      Best wishes
      Amelia
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Beauty,
        what have you been doing during the day? When do you drink? I feel a bit addicted to this site, since finding it today and am eager to talk to people. Is there something you'd like to talk about?
        :yougo:stiteal

For my family, for my health, for me...

Comment

Welcome, Beauty and Stiteal!

Keep reading, posting, chatting, whatever. I found this place a great help, especially in the first days. Stiteal, if you have to be addicted to something, MWO is a great place! I felt the same way, and still come here first thing every day, and I'm nearly 6 months AF. I used it as a distraction (one of many) when I would want to drink, just stayed on here every night until I could no longer stay awake.

I wish you both the best on your journey - you will never regret it! Much love to you both! :h
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

I am so glad I found this site also! We were both lucky today February 1st!!! I only drink late in the day, after work (but now am unemployed so start around 4 or 5....). During the day, well I do stuff around the house, run errands, watch tv a lot (too much actually) and other things. Never even think about drinking during the day, so I guess I am lucky about that. Going to the doctor tomorrow to hear what he has to say about my elevated cholesterol, blood problem whatever that is, white blood count elevated, liver not looking so good, etc. So the jig is finally up for me. Poured the 1/2 gallon of VODKA in the sink, trust me there was only about 1 1/2 inches left. Was headed out today to replace before the doctor called me, so now I won't. I wish you all the luck. Yes I would love to stay in touch with you. I have plenty of time during the day right now while I am looking for work. Tomorrow I have a couple appointments so I will be out but otherwise I am here. Friday I have a job interview. Thank goodness.

Comment

Beauty -

It helps to have a plan in place. Doing anything to stay busy, particularly around the witching hours, really does help. Tackling a chore you've put off (clean out a drawer or closet), cooking several days worth of meals (and actually wash all the dishes before bed - this one really cracked me up - I'd never gotten that far on the same day!), or fun things you've been neglecting or hobbies always wanted to try - these are good distractions as well.

Eat healthy, get some exercise (even a short walk is enough to work through a craving, and burn off that anxious feeling). I found the suggested supplements and hypnotherapy CDs useful as well. I didn't even get the CDs until a few months after becoming AF (couldn't afford them at first), and still found them a great addition to my personal toolbox.

Glad you poured out the "paint thinner" - sometimes it helps to look at AL as poison.

I too, was having the beginnings of health problems and that was a big incentive to accept I could no longer drink. The good news is, they are reversible, if we stop drinking. In not so long, you will look in the mirror and see a beautiful, healthy woman, your skin will look so much better, your eyes bright and sparkling. That was worth it to me, and shallow as it might seem, I think of what I looked like before whenever that little voice starts in.
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks Dancelot & all who have responded!!

Funny, I have an eye appt tomorrow because my eyes have been red and look so bad. I never thought about it being from the alcohol until you mentioned that in a bit my eyes will be so clear and sparkling! That will be a nice change. I always notice how white other people's eyes are and how mine are not.

Thanks to all for the suggestions also. I was going to download the book from this website also. Have you read that? I think it will be good to have something to read at night. I am cool during the day but then the kids get home, things get stressed and then wowee. Let's drink.

I feel a very special bond with all of you already. This is very special for us. Have a great day! I feel like I have all little guardian angels watching out for me. That is so nice to meet all of you!! We can do this.:thanks:

Comment

Hi beauty- know what your mean about getting stressed in the evenings with the kids home from school- and then wanting a drink to relax... You need to find a different way to vent-whatever it is- distract yourself -make tea-that helped me in the past- I also don't keep alcohol inthe house so it's not so easy to give in. Good for you for tossing the extra cyanide!-Like Dance says-your health is reversible- eat healthy drink lots of water, take supplements-or even just a multivitamin- and get lots of sleep-you will see an improvement in no time!Having something to read or doing puzzles or just jumping on here is great!
                  Wish you all the best!
                  Luv, Fluff
                  It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Working...
                  X