Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AF Vacation? Can someone tell me how to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband and I are taking our 5 year old to Disney and I want this to be an AF vaca...however, I've never had an AF vacation, even before I became a habitual drinker...Can someone tell me how this will be possible????
    :yougo:stiteal

For my family, for my health, for me...

Hi stiteal,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place

To answer your question simply..........drink what the kids are drinking!

I had my first AF vacation last June - the first in many years anyway! Everything was just fine & I did enjoy myself immensely!

Look in the Tool box in the Monthly Abstinence section for lots of great ideas to help you make your plan & get started.
    Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread for some extra support

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Stiteal. I use to basically plan my vacations around drinking. Basically I would drink all day. I just got back yesterday from a week long vacation with my husband and children and I did it completely AF! First time EVER. I was worried/anxious going into it but I basically reframed what my holiday would be about. Instead of drinking and partying I made the priority of this holiday health, relaxation and well being. I made a point of exercising everyday. I went swimming, hiking and participated in a community yoga class. Also I kept on top of my food intake. I make a point to eat lots of vegetable dishes and keep away from processed and deep fried food. I took care of myself mentally by getting away to a spa for a facial and massage and taking nightly jacuzzi baths. I was quite nice waking with a clear mind and healthy body each morning. I think I was able to "experience" this trip in a way that I never was able to when I was drinking. A big bonus was losing three pounds during the week! It is worth the effort. I am so glad I did it and now I now that I can face other drinking triggers as holidays were one of the worst triggers for me. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Lav and NewGirl, thank you so much...Lav, I love the "drink what the kids are drinking", that is wonderful!! NewGirl, you have given me a fresh new take on how to look at a vacation, because yes, I have always planned my vacations around drinking...where is the closest liquor store, is there a bar in the hotel, never wanting to do activities other than sit by the pool and drink, etc. This is what it must feel like to learn to walk again...I have to rediscover living again. Scarry.:thanks:
        :yougo:stiteal

For my family, for my health, for me...

Comment

Working...
        X