Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying Triggers...

MommyDearest72,

Here's something that has recently worked for me when I've been in an identical situation.

a) fix yourself a relaxing, non-alcoholic drink

b) make a list of all the damage alcohol has caused you

c) make an honest list indicating the benefits of continued drinking

I am willing to bet that your first list will far surpass your second one. When I did this, the only reason I could think of for continuing to drink can best be expressed as follows: "I WANT IT! IT FEELS GOOD!" In contrast, I was able to come up with no less than 35 examples of the damage alcohol has caused me. Moreover, I know that I initially forgot to count certain things when I was formulating my list! By keeping these tools on hand, I have been better-equipped to tackle cravings head on rather than letting my moods dictate whether or not I will drink. You can do this! You're doing really, really well so far, and what you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Last weekend I had been AF for about the same time as you, and found myself in an abject depressed/angry state, wondering how the hell I was ever going to live life without alcohol. For once, I stubbornly refused to drink. I did anything, ANYTHING to keep myself distracted from drinking, and by the end of the weekend I was able to reflect back on my original desire to drink and recognize how flimsy it was. More importantly, I gained a real sense of pride by abstaining. I want to emphasize that I am NOT in possession of any extraordinary human willpower or anything; anyone here can do just what I did. Remind yourself that it sometimes gets worse before it gets better and hang in there! Just think of how good you'll feel when you're posting here next week and can report that you had an AF weekend. All the best

Comment

Identifying Triggers...

Thank you all...As you can see, I'll be on here for most of the day....

Comment

Identifying Triggers...

:l

MD, another hug from me...keep it up!
        :yougo:stiteal

For my family, for my health, for me...

Comment

Identifying Triggers...

:l:thanks::l:thanks::l
          JimBeam911;801700 wrote: MommyDearest72,

Here's something that has recently worked for me when I've been in an identical situation.

a) fix yourself a relaxing, non-alcoholic drink

b) make a list of all the damage alcohol has caused you

c) make an honest list indicating the benefits of continued drinking

I am willing to bet that your first list will far surpass your second one. When I did this, the only reason I could think of for continuing to drink can best be expressed as follows: "I WANT IT! IT FEELS GOOD!" In contrast, I was able to come up with no less than 35 examples of the damage alcohol has caused me. Moreover, I know that I initially forgot to count certain things when I was formulating my list! By keeping these tools on hand, I have been better-equipped to tackle cravings head on rather than letting my moods dictate whether or not I will drink. You can do this! You're doing really, really well so far, and what you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Last weekend I had been AF for about the same time as you, and found myself in an abject depressed/angry state, wondering how the hell I was ever going to live life without alcohol. For once, I stubbornly refused to drink. I did anything, ANYTHING to keep myself distracted from drinking, and by the end of the weekend I was able to reflect back on my original desire to drink and recognize how flimsy it was. More importantly, I gained a real sense of pride by abstaining. I want to emphasize that I am NOT in possession of any extraordinary human willpower or anything; anyone here can do just what I did. Remind yourself that it sometimes gets worse before it gets better and hang in there! Just think of how good you'll feel when you're posting here next week and can report that you had an AF weekend. All the best

Comment

Working...
          X