Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately seeking sobriety

:new:

I'm brand new to MWO and I'm scared but hopeful. I've finally been beaten into a state of reasonableness, as they say. I've got a head full of slogans from time in and out of a traditional recovery program, but it just hasn't worked for me.

And so I swallowed my pride, confessed to my Doc about my drinking problem, and asked for Topamax. This is my fourth day on it. I bought a healthfood store amino acid complex, and yesterday I ordered MWO's hypnoCD's, kudzu, L-glut, and milk thistle. I already take a bunch of high quality vits and supps; now I need to commit to regular exercise! Today I walked around my neighborhood for about 45 minutes.

Anyway, thank you all for being here for me!

Also, thanks to greeneyes for her kind welcome and to sunshine_gg for her suggestion to start this thread. I've never posted anything, anywhere, ever! I'm taking baby steps, but with your help I believe I'll begin to find my way.

Yours,
    northerngirl

Hi Northerngirl: It sounds like you are setting yourself up on a positive course. Good for you in buying MWO's CD's and the supplements. Excercise is alos going to make you mentally and physically better. I commend you for talking to your doctor and asking for Topamax. Remember, you are dealing with a disease. As you know, some of us are allergic to alcohol. One drink leads to another. We didn't ask for this. It sounds like you have accepted your drinking problem and are going to the ends to put it to rest. I'm proud of you. -Reenie
    September 23, 2011

Comment

Welcome Northern Girl
      Different things work for different people, talking to your Doc was a huge step. Doing that was my beginning of my beginning and I've not looked back.
      Keep posting specially in the first few days, the encouragement here is worth any rehab programme!! Well done on 45 mins walk, could do with that myself:goodluck:
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Bravo north! Way to jump in with both feet! You might find something of interest in the "What We're Reading" section.
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Welcome Northerngirl! It is a challenging but in many ways wonderful journey we're all on. And we're on it together! For me the best thing about MWO is that I never have to feel alone...If I'm struggling with something, there's a 100% guarantee that someone else is, too. You're among friends, so keep posting, and good luck!
          "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Northerngirl.....your on the right track ! Keep it up, we are here for support.......Remember what ever it take to keep you sober do it ! AA, MWO...everything ! You are the one that counts. Good Luck ! IAD
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi Northern girl

I too am new here so I thought I would say hello - fingers crossed for both us xxxxx
              Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Ditto for you too.....Panno. IAD
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

I too ordered all the products and it gave me a big boost. It is great to have a place to go, day or night, and to have a plan. Good luck to you.
                  Redhibiscus

Comment

You're off to a wonderful start, NG! Everything you've done is spot on so far. The hard part is committing to yourself to working with your tools every day, and it does take work. But the people who have welcomed you are living proof of the better life we can all have. Many people, myself included, will readily tell you we are alive today because of MWO. Always remember, there is no judgement here. The most important thing to remember is that IF you 'slip' you MUST come back and talk about it, ask for help to understand it and prevent it from happening again. Welcome, and God speed on your journey!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Firstly, thanks to all who responded with your words of support and encouragement. You made my heart do little cautious leaps of joy! I sure need all the help I can get. Obviously, because I drank last night. So, having told on myself, I upped my Topamax to 50 mg (I'm beginning week 2 today) and slugged back my first All One powder this morning.

And besides, today is the first day of Lent, right? I've tried quitting the drink for Lent in years past and couldn't do it. So with your help and Topamax's help I want this monkey OFF My BACK! Gee, I sure wish my hypno CDs and MWO order would get here. Either way, I will not drink today - yay!

Thanks for reading and being my cheering section.

Yours,
                      northerngirl

Comment

You can do it NG. Think about what led up to your decision to drink, and then figure out what you will do different next time. Coming here to read and post when strong urges hit is one good idea.

The supps and CD's and other elements of the program were not "magic" for me - it still took a LOT of work and resolve. But all those things do help and you CAN do this if you are willing to work for it and try to do whatever it takes.

Onward and forward.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

2 Weedks AF. Congrats you are on a terrific start to the rest of your life! good job Northern Girl.

Comment

Working...
                          X