Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed please bout naltrexone!

:new:Hi to all,
    This is the first time ive ever posted anything on any site,so plz forgive me,if im not in the right room for this topic! Ive been struggling with my alcoholism for well over twenty years,although i didnt realise i was an alcoholic til bout 9 years ago. Been in and out of AA,been a dry drunk for months at a time,but always end up drinking again,and most times to oblivion! While browsing the net today,read for the first time bout naltrexone.
    Wow! cant believe what ive been reading,is it really that good?
    Do i need to be on some special sort of program to get it
    ,or will my doctor just prescribe it for me? Please help.
    Thanx in advance for any replies.

Hi Relocated,

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

I don't know anything about the drugs or supps but there will be people around who do.

Have you read the book? It's availble here to download for about $ 13.00.

Keep reading the posts - there is so much support and advice. Come and have a look in the Newbies Nest in the starting out section.

There is a section for discussion on the drugs so you may find it helpful to post your questions there.

Good luck and hope to see you back soon.

Spam xx

Comment

Thanx Spam x

Comment

relocated;806869 wrote: :
        Do i need to be on some special sort of program to get it
        ,or will my doctor just prescribe it for me? Please help.
        Thanx in advance for any replies.
        Hi Relocated and :welcome:

I also have very high hopes for Naltrexone. (I just took my 3rd dose last night and cannot believe the results so far.)

There is a lot of info in the "Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds" section of this forum.

To answer your Q....you do not need to be on a special program. You can have either your Doctor prescribe it, or if you do not want or can't go through your insurance, you can order it online.

Best of luck,
        MZ

Comment

Welcome aboard Relocated!! I am a newbie too and just beginning this journey to sobriety.
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi relocated. As MamaZum pointed out, the "Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds" part of the forum is a good place for more information about Naltrexone. A lot of us are using something called the Sinclair Method (often abbreviated to "TSM"), which says that one should take Naltrexone one hour before drinking rather than every day (which is what a lot of doctors prescribe). Clinical studies show that the best way to take Naltrexone is by following the Sinclair Method, and that just taking it every day is not very useful. Wikipedia has a good page about the Sinclair Method here.

Comment

Welcome relocated

Some people prefer to order online as they don't want alcoholism or Naltrexone (Nal) on their health records for insurance or other reasons. And from what I hear most Western doctors will hardly have heard of the drug, let alone its possible use in treating drinking, though I've heard plenty of stories of open-minded doctors being open to patients trying it.

Best of luck to you, look forward to seeing you in the other section, and following your progress

eight
              I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

This is my first ever post too! Q on Naltrexone - from what I am reading on this forum, one should take a tablet one hour before drinking. So if you will be drinking at say 7 pm you take your Nal at 6 pm. What about if you are very weak and also drink at lunch time - would you take 2 Nals in one day?

I have ordered Balcofen and am waiting for delivery.

Another reason that I want to be AF is that alcohol stimulates the appetite and I blame this for my putting on 1/2 stone every year! What do others think?

Comment

Working...
                X