new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new here

:new:this site looks like it could be the help am looking for. been reading some posts. so good to know other people feel the same. been in a mess with drinking for a while now. longest ive done is five days in last 3 years. felt good for it. as others have said i keep thinking i can have just a couple of drinks but i dont stop till blackout. its rubbish.really have to do something about it and hope this will help. been to gp and waiting for referal to nhs alcohol people but am terrified.
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

new here

:welcome:spuddleduck (what a great name)

You've come to the right place for support and help.

I've done a few NHS de-tox and had a lovely alcohol councillor. Very,very scary for the 1st day but you should make a few friends.

Have a look in the link below to get a few ideas together.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Keep reading,keep posting and let us get to know you.

J x

:l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

new here

I'm not exactly new here, but have not had the courage to start a thread, so thanks, spuddleduck, for posting. I'm back on day 1 and understand where you're coming from. The more I beat myself up, the more I run to the beer or wine. I've started (restarted) l-glutamine supps, and am reading, reading, reading.
      Looking forward to hearing more from you. thanks again for posting; it's helped give me a kick in the pants to fess up! 2 AF free days in the last week. I do have a plan, little steps, and a few positive changes. i heard somewhere that everyone is addicted to something, so chose something healthy to be addicted to.

Comment

new here

EXERCISE!!! (something healthy to get addicted to!)

:welcome: as a poster. It is said that it is nearly impossible to recover from alcoholism alone. I don't know if that is true for others or not, but I do know it was true for me. I'm glad you came out of "lurkdom" to start a thread! I think you will find that actively engaging with others here will be a positive step towards AFness.

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

new here

here goes

THANKS peeps for replies. im gonna keep with this.hope its a place i can come and ramble and maybe help others feeling the same. one day at a time is the only way to do it. to hear about people who have beaten the demon or are getting there is a great incentive. thanks,

Comment

new here

spuddleduck;810110 wrote: THANKS peeps for replies. im gonna keep with this.hope its a place i can come and ramble and maybe help others feeling the same. one day at a time is the only way to do it. to hear about people who have beaten the demon or are getting there is a great incentive. thanks,
            YES YES YES!!! I'm looking for a partner here who can ramble as often and as long as I can. Glad you are here! And yes - we all help each other by sharing the good, the bad and the ugly of alcoholism and recovery. (or whatever words you like to use to describe these things)

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

new here

Just wanted to say welcome. Good for you for taking the step to post. I remember it took me a longtime to make that first post. You have just made an important frst step. Feel free to come here and ramble anytime. There are always people to listen, respond and chat.

Comment

new here

Welcome, Spuddleduck and Getterbetter -

Jump right in, both of you! We do all help each other - the support I got here helped me get AF - it is so much easier than going it alone! Plus you really do help yourself by helping others, even when you're new to this.
                ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

new here

Yup, we all need support. I went to AA for several years, but never really got over the talking face to face part (anxiety, garden variety). This site is good. I'm also looking at the holistic part and the supplements. Haven't tried the CDs. Guilt and remorse are biggies for me. Wondering if the CDs might help?

Comment

new here

Hi spuddleduck & getterbetter,

Welcome both of you to MWO! This is a good place

I do highly recommend the CDs - helped me learn to relax without AL & helped me learn to sleep again.......
                    I no longer have to deal with anxiety - it was all but disabling! When you kick AL out of your life the anxiety goes too!

Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread for some extra support, lots of folks there just starting out as well.

Wishing you both the best,

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

new here

getterbetter;810089 wrote: I'm not exactly new here, but have not had the courage to start a thread, so thanks, spuddleduck, for posting. I'm back on day 1 and understand where you're coming from. The more I beat myself up, the more I run to the beer or wine. I've started (restarted) l-glutamine supps, and am reading, reading, reading.
                      Looking forward to hearing more from you. thanks again for posting; it's helped give me a kick in the pants to fess up! 2 AF free days in the last week. I do have a plan, little steps, and a few positive changes. i heard somewhere that everyone is addicted to something, so chose something healthy to be addicted to.
                      hi there.you came on here with me. hows it going. think i could get addicted to this site. finding it so helpful to read read read. day 3 was hard but im trying not to think when i can have a drink, but how long can i be af. pretty sure i cant go all the way just yet but every day af is better than being with the demon. have you read the swimming pool story.cant remember where it was. think maybe on general discussion.its really good

Comment

new here

Hey Spuddleduck, I was glad to read your post this morning. It's nice to know that so many others are in the same place I am and I'm sure you're finding that out too.

I also have only been sober for maybe a week tops in the last several years. It's hard to think that you can't see how deep of a hole you've dug for yourself when you're actually still in it. But when you reach a point with alcohol where you know you have to make a change it makes climbing out seem like a huge challenge, and it will be. Every day.

The thing that I've felt helps me is keeping busy, doing ANYTHING to keep you're mind occupied and off of alcohol. Another is having a close friend or family member that you trust to talk to. Believe me, I never thought I would be able to share the things that I have done to to hide my problem with anyone else, but clearing your conscious is such a great way to start.

Take everything a day at a time, you'll find great support here! God bless

Comment

new here

Hi Spuddleduck just wanted to say hi and good luck :welcome:
                          Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Working...
                          X