Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here - been lurking

Hello everyone!

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing struggles, successes etc.
    Thank you RJ for putting this forum together!
    Things have been very difficult the last couple of years for me - failed relationship, a layoff and since then the booze has been making things worse.
    I've been lurking for a while and tried the supps and was still struggling, but found they helped some.
    The topa however, at just 25 mg was unbelieveable, for about 3 days... but now the cravings are back.
    Can anyone relate?
    I'd like to up the dosage, yet I'm interviewing for a new gig, and I came off like a dope today where I usually am quite glib on an interview. Needless to say I'm between a rock and a hard place between being sufficiently technical on my interviews, and sufficiently sober on my evenings. https://www.mywayout.org/community/im...milies/mad.gif

Will I be chasing a constantly higher topamax dose to keep the craving away?

Thanks,
    T

New Here - been lurking

Hi T,

Sounds like you've been through the wringer, as many of us here have. You've found a good place here for support.

My experience with topamax was that I didn't get the full effect until I got up to about 200 mg. That is where the alcohol craving switch just "turned off" completely. I still have to work at the habit or the psychological cravings, but my body doesn't ask for alcohol any more.

And of course the program includes supplements, hypnotherapy, exercise, etc. All the elements work together to reduce cravings and increase the likelihood of success.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

New Here - been lurking

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty attuned to my my body, and the physical cravings actually went away at 25 mg, not the habituitual/psychological stuff. But this was a total and complete surprise! But now I feel the physical aspect all coming back. Just wated to tap into the collective experience of the group of titration and management of topamax. I actually felt "full" (after 2 beers which has NEVER been the the case with booze on Sun)
      The whole "full" phenomenon is totally new to me! Can anyone relate?
      Also, I'm now at 50mg day 5 but going to 75 ASAP. Can anyone relate to quick titration?
      Sorry of my posts are clinical sounding, it's just the "technical"side, in reality my life has never been worse.
      Thank God I'm a fighter! ; )

T

Comment

Working...
      X